1. Save 40-80% on great soccer jerseys. Shop today at BigSoccer Shop!

2014 Matchday #4: Union v Impact, March 29, 2014 p/d/p (R)

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by aztec21bas, Mar 22, 2014.

?

Predict The Outcome: Union v. Impact

Poll closed Mar 28, 2014.
  1. Win

68.2%
  2. Loss

11.4%
  3. Tie

20.5%
Moderators: celt1997, Dills
  1. aztec21bas

aztec21bas BigSoccer Supporter

Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    United States

[​IMG]VS. [​IMG]

DATE / TIME:
    Saturday, March 29, 2014
    4:00 PM EDT

MATCH PREVIEW:
    MLS Golazo!

VENUE:
    [​IMG]
    PPL Park
    Chester, PA
    Tickets

GAMETIME FORECAST:
    Risk of Thunders.png
    Chance of Thunderstorms
    Temp: 60
    Feels Like: 57

TELEVISION BROADCAST:
    ABC – WPVI 6 (Local)
    COMCAST: Channel 806 HD, 6 SD
    Verizon FiOS: Channel 506 HD, 6 SD

CURRENT MLS STANDINGS

MLS INJURY REPORT

MLS DISCIPLINE REPORT

LAST MEETING:
    Saturday, October 19, 2013
    Saputo Stadium / Montreal, QC
    Montreal Impact 2 – Philadelphia Union 1
    Game Recap and Highlights
    MLS Matchcenter

2. aztec21bas

aztec21bas BigSoccer Supporter

Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Tonights game was OK, but the result sucked. Maybe some home cooking will reverse the boys fortunes! We need a W.

3. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Montreal seems sort of terrible and its at home. The U should win. We'll see where the Hacktics take us.

4. Amscray

Amscray Member

Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    United States
    If we don't win this one, I'll be absolutely shocked. It has bounce back game written all over it.

EmeraldDawn repped this.

5. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Win. 1-0 win. I staying positive. But being realistic with the goals.

6. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Montreal has been terrible since the end of last season. But the game @ Columbus exposed this team's limitations. I'd say 1-1 draw with Montreal's goal coming on the back of a MacMath blunder or a set piece failure.

lopezzzz repped this.
  7. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    If Casey plays, I say we score at least two, and that should beat good enough to be Montreal.

8. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Would want to watch the Impact today before commenting on next one up. Current injury report of use as well.

9. soccerman90

soccerman90 Member

Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Montreal coming to philly with three losses. We better not be their first point. Go more offensive and start Leo over Carroll, like our NE lineup.

lopezzzz, EmeraldDawn and tonyunion2010 repped this.
  10. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Hopefully we can finish some chances. Montreal has divaio back next match, and it's hard to see them losing four in a row.

11. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Three games with no Di Vaio has meant three losses. Di Vaio is back from suspension this week. Montreal is a very different team when he is on the field. If Berry is still out, it could be a tough day for Wheeler and the Union.

LuckyStriker and ericlfd repped this.
  12. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    United States
    At some point, the Union need to find a way to score more goals if they want to be a playoff team since they are prone to being a set piece away from giving up a goal in any time in a game. IIRC, the last time the team scored 2 or more goals in a game against a pro team was August 10, 2013 in a 2-0 win over DCU. Since that time, they played:

* 10 regular season games in 2013
    * 6 pre-season games in 2014 against pro teams (University of North Florida does not count)
    * 3 regular season games in 2014

19 games and counting.:rolleyes:

Montreal will likely want to keep it tight in defensive third and try to counter with DiVaio, who likely will be offiside more than a few times but will have a few quality scoring chances in the process.

Casey has to play more than Hoppenot in this one.

LINETRASH, OldRetiredCoach, Tyr and 4 others repped this.
  13. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    United States
    I have heard on here these things do not matter, it is unfair to go back to last season, the team needs to gel, etc.

But since you're not a card carrying member of the Nexus I'm sure people will be more than happy to rep the post.

Phillyspur, Amscray, UnionDues and 2 others repped this.
  14. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Haven't tracked their offseason changes, but the Montreal defense last year was pretty porous. Seems a good game to try 2 strikers, if Casey is fit. And break that 1-goal hoodoo.

Handsome Pete repped this.
  15. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    United States
    honestly anything other than a win will be disappointing... Montreal seems like a mess right now.

16. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Montreal will seem much less of a mess if Di Vaio camps out on Wheeler's left shoulder on Saturday. This is a game where the Union could benefit from a healthy Austin Berry.

17. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Exactly what I have been saying for quite some time and was roundly criticized for doing so.

This team has a serious problem scoring goals. Possession doesn't necessarily create chances. None of the guys brought in were particularly known for their playmaking or finishing and it shows.

18. urchin

urchin SoB

Club:
    Philadelphia Union

[​IMG]

jaykoz3 and drewuke repped this.
  19. Amscray

Amscray Member

Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Very, very true.

The increased possession is the greatest improvement so far this season. Still like the acquisitions and the direction. I think we'll be OK, but Casey needs to heal up in a hurry. We could use him out there. Sheannon too.

We can all agree that this team is light years ahead of last season. The fact is, we have a chance to earn points against anyone in the league. We looked like a real team in Portland, where in previous seasons we looked overmatched and outgunned. I'm willing to wait a few games while the team settles in, but we do need to score a bit more and take some pressure off our our defense. Hope that starts this weekend.

UnionDues, LINETRASH, Phillyspur and 2 others repped this.
  20. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    United States
    If everyone is healthy I'd like to see this line up rolled out. I think we can win at least 2-0 with it.

[​IMG]

UnionizedPA, cwelch999 and SideshowBob repped this.
  21. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Bless you-but it doesn't appear Williams is close to ready at the moment, and who knows what's up with Casey. If Maidana plays, I'd switch him with LEO there-because Fernandes has the strength to handle the press, where Chaco needs all the space you can give him to see the field for his passes to connect.

........and now onto the game. Z and Matty have it right. I watched the Impact implode against Seattle but came away from the game thinking about how 7 days might make the difference +/- on how effective Montreal can be.

Because:.........DiVaio flat out kills the Union-and Moby + Wheels = Berry Berry Bad outcome to me. Had Nyassi been healthy (please tell me he's out) I'd take Montreal outright. They've got talent (they also have Klopas-but that interferes w/my logic so I'm ignoring it), They've got Mapp to remind the staff what wing-play looks like in case they forgot.

They've got Cammara to chop down any little forward the Union want to run at him. Philly has to make hay in the midfield, where they have the advantage. As you've said; possession means little if you can't flush chances away.
    Casey better be good to go.

I'll be watching the Perkins vs. McMath gaffe-a-thon closely.

Montreal has had a bad case of Marco Polio. The offense is paralyzed without him. Hacktics will supply the cure unless they get it together. Please don't be Bethlehem Steel Magnolias !

Want to say win so bad, I was counting on these points, but right now? Draw all I got.

Because DiVaio.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2014
    Tyr and UnionDues repped this.
  22. LINETRASH

LINETRASH Member+

Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    United States

NO........Nogueira needs to be in the center.......no way is Leo ready for that!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
    Amscray repped this.
  23. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    United States
    It appears to me that that chances have increased some as I have watched the games so far. It looks like Nogueira, despite his non-DP status, is the team's most competent play-maker and threat out of the midfield--I am pleased with his play-making ability so far. The problem, as I see it, is the players in front of him not finding the open spaces well enough and their lack of ability to finish chances.

Right now after three games, the Union are tied for 5th in the league with shots-on-goal, which (for the most part) is a statistic that says something about creating chances. Compare that to the last couple of seasons: in 2013 the Union finished 10th in the league in shots-on-goal and in 2012 they finished dead last in the league. So far in this short season, the chances are coming more often than they have in the past and that is a credit to the new midfield. Will that continue? We shall see, but I would dispute the point about not creating chances so far.

The real problem, and I would fully agree, is that this team has not done much of anything to fix the issue about finishing chances. Jack and Le Toux are clearly not up to snuff right now to take advantage of the increase in chances. Far too many possible chances fall apart in and around the 18 due to questionable decision-making, poor touches, inaccurate passes, and wayward shots. The Union need more quality in the final third.

24. Dills

Dills Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    United States
    I hear Nicolas Anelka is without a club.
    The North American transfer window is open until early May.
    We still have an open DP spot.

25. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    United States
Moderators: celt1997, Dills