2014 MLS Referee Assignments and Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Slaskwroclaw18, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Slaskwroclaw18

Slaskwroclaw18 Member

Club:
    --other--
    Poland
    I, along with many others I'm sure, am very anxious for the MLS season to start so I am going to jump the gun a bit and get this thread going. Preseason games are starting with this week with games starting as soon as tomorrow (as far as I know). Anybody know of any PRO assignments for the friendlies down in Florida?

2. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member

Club:
    Chicago Fire
    United States
    Might take someone with gameofficials access to get the crews as I see nothing on the online match recaps. Looks like whoever had SKC-Portland actually sent Aurelien Collin off for once!
  3. jarbitro

jarbitro Member

United States
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/video/2014...nsas-city-vs-portland-timbers-february-2-2014

The red is at like :50 into the video. That's...well, that's interesting.

Having watched it a second time (and I know this is preseason and all, and doesn't matter) I wonder if the ref didn't pull the wrong card. He got the red from his front right shorts pocket, which is a strange place for a red to be, and the foul itself (if there even was a foul) was most certainly not a red. Maybe there was language, or spitting or something. Who knows, and probably nobody cares either.
  4. drummer68

drummer68 Member

Collin was sitting on a yellow card prior to this foul. Maybe it was a second caution and the video edit simply didn't show the yellow card going up prior to the red?
    refinDC repped this.

5. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member

Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    What happened is that the referee was so excited/nervous in sending off Colin that he forgot to show him the second caution first. He realized that half through showing the red that he realized to not even bother.
  6. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member

Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Through a glitch in ussoccer.gameofficials.net I'm able to see ahead of time all assignments in the system for all levels. Looks like the first two weeks of the MLS season has already been assigned.
    sitruc repped this.
  7. SouthRef

SouthRef Member

Club:
    Rangers
    Not being privy to this information, I don't know the answer, but if it's really supposed to be kept private, should this be posted publicly, if not announced by MLS and/or PRO?

Again, I don't know the answer, but in UEFA, prior knowledge of the appointments can result in a crew being changed.

I'm sure someone with better knowledge than me can answer this definitively.

Of course, I know this isn't the Champions League...
    refinDC and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  8. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator Staff Member

United States
    Posting official assignments before they are public has actually got some European blogs in minor legal trouble.

I'm with you 100% on the ethics. I wouldn't post these and I think RedStar was wrong to do so. Sure, it's PRO's or USSF's fault for the glitch and I'm aware of no explicit legal prohibition against posting them. But as a USSF referee, GameOfficials access is a privilege; posting assignments ahead of time when they are almost certainly still supposed to be private is not appropriate, in my opinion.

But once they are there, they are there and anyone could have already screen capped or copied them. As a moderator, I won't delete them unless I hear from an administrator or outside source.
    refinDC and gosellit repped this.
  9. gosellit

gosellit BigSoccer Supporter

Agreed. I'm sure there are many on this board with access. Can't remember when official assignments have been posted prior to being released by PRO/USSF.

Believe me, it is tempting. But like MassRef said, it is a privilege.
  10. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member

Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    You do realize that in Gameofficials.net you can't actually see who is doing the game until game time? For an MLS game you can go on the game preview page and find out who is doing the game a couple of days before, but on ussoccer.gameofficials.net you have to wait until kick off.

Also we are about two weeks until kickoff and it PRO usually publishes assignments two weeks in advance. Wouldn't surprise me if they are published very soon on the PRO website.

I don't think I've released state secrets here.
  11. gosellit

gosellit BigSoccer Supporter

Certain people can and there is at least one on this board.
  12. nylaw5

nylaw5 Member

You have and chalk me up for a "you should delete your post" vote.

If PRO or MLS wanted you to release their assignments I'm sure they would have gotten in touch and asked you to. There is a reason they are not viewable until a week or so prior to matches.
    Pierre Head and gosellit repped this.
  13. Baka_Shinpan

Baka_Shinpan Member

Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Japan
    I suggest RedStar delete them himself before he kills the privilege for the rest of us, but since we don't know when he will, I would hope that a moderator would delete them considering he took it from a proprietary USSF database.
  14. Dustinnotacop

Dustinnotacop Red Card

Sorin Stoica? Oh God I already know too much!
    RedStar91 repped this.
  15. MassachusettsRef

United States
    Deleted for now, though not permanently. We can revisit tomorrow or in the coming days if need be. As RedStar said, he won't be surprised if PRO announces them soon. Perhaps we can wait for that announcement.
  16. IARef96

IARef96 Member

Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    United States
    An SKC supporter posted that Geiger is going to be in the middle for SEA v SKC on opening weekend. Anyone know if the list got posted somewhere other than this forum? I'd love to take a look and it's still not on the PRO site.
  17. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member

Club:
    Chicago Fire
    United States
    Drew Fischer had the FC Tucson-Chicago Fire match this afternoon. No clue on the ARs and 4th.
  18. Bradley Smith

Bradley Smith Member

United States
    I wouldn't read too much into that, assignments are probably not finalized. A Vancouver forum lists Geiger for the Vancouver vs New York match on opening weekend, too. Maybe Geiger is just doing all the games? Haha.
  19. Baka_Shinpan

Baka_Shinpan Member

Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Japan
    REF: DREW FISCHER
    AR1: MARCO ARRUDA
    AR2: PETER BALCIUNAS
    4TH: JAIR MARRUFO
  20. IARef96

IARef96 Member

Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    United States
    PRO posted the opening weekend assignments this morning:

03/08/2014

Houston Dynamo vs. New England Revolution
    BBVA Compass Stadium (8:30pm ET)
    REFEREE: ISMAIL ELFATH
    AR1: George Gansner
    AR2: Mark Cahen
    4TH: Jair Marrufo

Vancouver Whitecaps vs New York Red Bulls
    BC Place (7:30 pm ET)
    REFEREE: ALLEN CHAPMAN
    AR1: Adam Garner
    AR2: Jeremy Hanson
    4TH: Younes Marrakchi

Seattle Sounders vs. Sporting Kansas City
    CenturyLink Field (3:00pm ET)
    REFEREE: MARK GEIGER
    AR1: Sean Hurd
    AR2: Frank Anderson
    4TH: Tyler Ploeger

Portland Timbers vs. Philadelphia Union
    Providence Park (10:30pm ET)
    REFEREE: HILARIO GRAJEDA
    AR1: Ian Anderson
    AR2: Baboucarr Jallow
    4TH: Baldomero Toledo

DC United vs. Columbus Crew
    RFK Stadium (7:00pm ET)
    REFEREE: DREW FISCHER
    AR1: Adam Wienckowski
    AR2: Gregory Barkey
    4TH: Robert Sibiga

Los Angeles Galaxy vs. Real Salt Lake
    StubHub Center (10:30pm ET)
    REFEREE: SILVIU PETRESCU
    AR1: Daniel Belleau
    AR2: Phil Briere
    4TH: Mathieu Bourdeau

FC Dallas vs. Montreal Impact
    Toyota Stadium (8:30pm ET)
    REFEREE: EDVIN JURISEVIC
    AR1: Corey Rockwell
    AR2: CJ Morgante
    4TH: Mark Kadlecik

03/09/2014

Chivas USA vs. Chicago Fire
    StubHub Center (3:00pm ET)
    REFEREEE: JUAN GUZMAN
    AR1: Peter Manikowski
    AR2: Mike Rottersman
    4TH: Kevin Stott

(Source: http://www.proreferees.com/mls-assignments-03-08-14-03-09-14.php)
  21. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member

Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Since the assignments are released officially now can we bring back my original posts to see if there were any changes?
  22. MassachusettsRef

United States
    No.

I almost can't believe you're asking this. One of the main reasons for not posting them before they are released to the public is so that the public does not see if there are changes.
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
    IASocFan and Baka_Shinpan repped this.
  23. Dustinnotacop

Dustinnotacop Red Card

I don't understand the fear of these assignments from everyone. What could possibly happen? We have the information let's post the information, or what is the internet for? We might as well pack this up if we're just going to keep information from everyone. Transparency is tremendously important in our society.
  24. MassachusettsRef

United States
    Access to GameOfficials is a privilege and the assignments were not meant for public consumption. BigSoccer is a private website that does not have to host information just because someone has it. If an individual wants to publicly announce knowledge about assignments that are not yet public, they are free to start their own blog, email all their friends or seek a variety of other methods to distribute the information. And all your transparency concerns are taken care of without forcing another company to host it. If you really want to see the initial assignments, send a message to RedStar and ask for them.

What could happen if the assignments are out earlier than they are supposed to be? Teams could attempt to influence assignments, to start. Or a change could be seen as reflecting poorly on an individual official, when knowledge of such a change was never meant to be public.

GameOfficials is a tool by which the assignors communicate with the referees. PRO publicly announces the assignments for the general public. I got a lot of pushback in just the few hours that the assignments were up here. Private companies don't announce travel and work assignments to the public at the time they are communicated to employees. Just because there's a glitch in GameOfficials and USSF referees have access doesn't mean the information should immediately be released to the world.
    JasonMa, refinDC, Law5 and 6 others repped this.
  25. MassachusettsRef

United States
    Just to put a finer point on this... so is privacy. GameOfficials is meant to be the private method by which assignors communicate with referees. There's a reason you need a login and password. For some of the assignments that were posted, they were not even accepted yet by the individual referees. It was quite possible that we saw assignments for several referees before they ever saw them for themselves on GameOfficials. That's not appropriate.

PRO is very transparent with assignments, announcing them much earlier than I personally think they should. You've got assignments out more than 10 days before most matches. I'm not sure how transparency can be a legitimate argument here.
    JasonMa, refinDC, CardsAsAWeapon and 6 others repped this.