News: 2014 Preseason Thread - Out of the Frying Pan & Into the Fire.

Discussion in 'DC United' started by greatscott, Jan 23, 2014.

1. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Club:
    DC United
    United States
    Info stolen from Goff
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/soccer-insider/wp/2014/01/23/d-c-united-news-and-notes-32/

Camp Begins Wednesday January 29th @ IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla. - Two Weeks.

Feb 5th:
    Scrimmage DC United vs. Toronto FC 7:00pm - Live Stream www.dcunited.com

Feb 8th:
    Scrimmage DC United vs. Chicago Fire 7:00 pm - Live Stream on www.dcunited.com

Feb 12th:
    Scrimmage DC United vs. Chicago Fire. 10:00 am - Live Stream on www.dcunited.com

Carolina Challenge Cup - Blackbaud Stadium - Charleston, SC:

Feb. 22
    United vs. Houston Dynamo, 5
    Charleston Battery vs. Seattle Sounders, 7:15

Feb. 26
    Sounders vs. Dynamo, 5
    Battery vs. United, 7:15

March 1

United vs. Sounders, 5
    Battery vs. Dynamo, 7:15

March 8 - Home Opener - @RFK Stadium vs. Columbus Crew.

----------------------------------------

For those who have been to the Carolina Challenge ....
    What has worked and what hasn't in terms of getting to Charleston and getting to the games?
    Where have you stayed?
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
    sitruc, Winoman and nobletea repped this.

2. nobletea

nobletea Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    DC United
    United States
    Aren't these games considered the Disney Showcase or something? I thought the previous games in Fla were part of some Disney event... and I happened to notice that they have such an event category in the Watch ESPN app (though it was empty when I checked it).

Just wondering if maybe you can catch these games from the app as well (live and on-demand)...
  3. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Club:
    DC United
    I was thinking of starting another "what will it take to fire Ben Olsen" thread but perhaps that conversation can be in here. At what point do we have to consider replacing Olsen before seasons end? What if we start 2 wins 5 losses and 3 draws or something? Or 0-4 regular season after losing every preseason match?
  4. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Club:
    DC United
    Put the scalpel down, emo.
    jason1551, sitruc and nobletea repped this.

5. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Club:
    DC United
    It could be worse, I could have created a makeshift shrine the Open Cup and pray to it for guidance every day: "Oh mighty Open Cup.. shall we keep Olsen? We are last place again." and then a low rumbling sound can be heard and it speaks in an angelic voice "Olsen hath woneth me, thou shalt not deny him his chosen place upon the coaching throne."
    JRHokie repped this.
  6. Q*bert Jones III

Club:
    DC United
    That's quite a strawman you've eviscerated there.
  7. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Club:
    DC United
    It's a living.
  8. Q*bert Jones III

Club:
    DC United
    I thought you were an emo surgeon. But it turns out you're a goth straw farmer.
  9. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Club:
    DC United
    United States
    The Screaming Eagles are offering 2-day hotel packages and game tickets - they are staying at a hotel near the airport (which I assume will be in or near North Charleston, home of Hootie).
    We have also stayed in a North Charleston hotel before (though not the same one) and getting to/from the games is pretty easy.

Usually we rent a beach-house on Folly Beach because that is the coolest town/beach around there and it really is not all that far, relatively, to the stadium or Charleston - and a weekly rental is usually a lower cost than a hotel for a week.

Some people stay at closer beaches like Sullivan's Island or Isle of Palms - or even in downtown Charleston. Ironically, it might be hardest to get to the stadium from downtown, but remember that's relative, it really isn't that complicated form anywhere.

There is only one place I am aware of to stay where it is really easy to get to/from the stadium and that is on Daniel Island (not a good beach at all) at the Hampton Inn (where most of the players stay too), but you can stumble from the hotel to the stadium - we've done that once before too. It's expensive but convenient - and there might be other hotels on the island now too, just not in such close stumbling distance :)

Pretty sure every other place will require you to have a car. Or call a lot of taxis. Or get a ride (which is usually fairly easy)

The stadium is right off I-526 (exit 23) on Daniel Island between North Charleston on I-26 (The Eye) and Mt Pleasant on Route 17 (between I-26 and I-526) - @GrillMaster and I have stayed in a little Super 8 right there on 17 too. I think it's now a Days Inn, but there are other dinky little places there as well. And the USS Yorktown, though you'll get arrested trying to sleep there ;)

I think the easiest, closest hotel we have stayed at is the Marriott (residence inn?) near the N. Charleston Coliseum, it was right by the I-526 and I-26 intersection and was easy to get in/out of. As a bonus, it was right across the street from a Firehouse Subs and short distance to a pretty good (Jim&Nick's) drive-thru BBQ joint (and a bunch of nondescript places like Golden Corral and a Walmart near the Tangier Outlets mall.)

You can find links to tons of info on the Charleston Battery BS forum, there are some damned nice and helpful people in there.
    DCUSA repped this.
  10. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Club:
    DC United
    Regardless of your thoughts on this matter, the question stands. Does this team have the stomach to make needed changes given a bad start, and, what constitutes a 'bad start' to where we can have that conversation? We all hope for the best, but it's a serious issue. If we start cold or somewhat cold, can we overcome the fact that we lack depth at key positions and EJ (our predicted high scorer this season) won't be there for us as the year progresses?
  11. nobletea

Club:
    DC United
    United States
    I gave my threshold at the end of last season and it's still the same. Failure to compete for a playoff spot. If we fail to do that in 2014, he's fired. So if 2014 looked like 2013 in that we are looking like lottery odds to make the playoffs by the end of May, then yes, fire him in June.
  12. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Club:
    DC United
    Fair enough, but you have workable indicators here, like, to my knowledge, no team in the last 2-3 years has lost their first 3 games (although some Seattle, Colorado etc. have gone 2L - 1D) and made the playoffs. Last year I recall reporting from my dataset that after 10 games you basically know what the playoff picture looks like if teams don't approach a certain threshold (I went back and looked, teams need a minimum of 10 points after 10 games to have a chance at the playoffs). So given the fact that we're in a 'rebuilding year,' is waiting the best decision?
  13. nobletea

Club:
    DC United
    United States
    For me it is.

And for the ownership, I'm betting it is too, cause that's a few months less salary you have to pay the new guy and the old guy at the same time. (which I am pretty sure is basically out of their own pocket)
  14. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Club:
    DC United
    United States
    I feel pretty confident guaranteeing that Olsen will not be fired during the Pre-Season, so let's kindly take that nonsense outta this thread (unless there is a player revolt before we get to Charleston, then I may reconsider hitting you with a shovel talking about Olsen's firing).
  15. Q*bert Jones III

Club:
    DC United
    Do we? I'm not so sure.
  16. nobletea

Club:
    DC United
    United States
    A fair request. Let's stick to the pre-season here, schedule, matches, results, lineups, etc, as needed.

And let's try to wait until at least the final whistle of the first league match before we start the "Erif neslo" thread.

Thanks.
    sitruc repped this.
  17. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Club:
    DC United
    Fine, separate when do we fire Olsen thread it is :p
  18. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Club:
    Charleston
    United States
    Fatbastard summed it up pretty well. I have been told (haven't checked personally) that the Hampton Inn near the stadium is sold out.

there are quite a few new hotels near the airport/tanger outlet mall area and like FB said, there are quite a few places within walking distance to eat. plus it is services by the bus system (CARTA) if you want to head downtown and don't have a car.

really the best way if your staying more than a couple days is to look into a vacation rental at one of the beaches. Its off season and rates are usually discounted highly. And like FB said, it can be cheaper than staying in a hotel for the same amount of time especially if you split a place with three or four people. plus you have more space and a kitchen, etc.

check out http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/south-carolina/charleston-area

any other question let me know
  19. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    DC United
    Croatia
    greatscott repped this.
  20. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Club:
    DC United
    United States
    greatscott, Winoman and JayRockers! repped this.
  21. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Club:
    DC United
    United States
    Any word on Espindola?
  22. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Club:
    DC United
    United States
    I read somewhere (Goff tweet?) that he had reported to training camp.
    DCUSA repped this.
  23. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Club:
    DC United
    Romania
    I checked the websites of all our rivals ... NY, Philly, New England, Columbus, Chicago ... and they all have at least one or two stories already from this weekend of preseason kick offs. Our most recent story is from January 23rd ... no update from this weekend.

That's sad. Even our FO isn't excited enough to report
  24. sitruc

sitruc Member+

C'mon. I'm sure Molly is busy filming players right now. Just wait until they find out.
    Cweedchop and Boloni86 repped this.
  25. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Club:
    DC United
    United States
    Barbieri and Winoman repped this.