1. Save 40-80% on great soccer jerseys. Shop today at BigSoccer Shop!

News: A new $400 M soccer specific stadium in the Bronx

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by PremierUSA, Dec 12, 2013.

Moderators: dark knight
  1. PremierUSA

PremierUSA BigSoccer Yellow Card

Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The stadium will hold 28,000 people, which is a nice number. And it should be easy enough to sellout in NYC. Just seeing if anybody has any unique views upon how this might affect US Soccer in the future. In any event, it's a good development it would seem. However, this stadium is not supposed to go online til 2018 or 2019.

One important caveat though: The deal is not official yet.

http://nypost.com/2013/12/10/bronx-scores-400m-soccer-stadium/

2. Londo

Londo Member

It should have little affect on US Soccer outside of what ever players might come out of NYCFC just like any other team on the planet.

It's not like this stadium will come with a training site for the US or even come with any home field advantage. In fact I would be shocked if we ever play a qualifier their (assuming it even gets built).

3. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    United States
    As I asked in the last thread on this, why would DiBlasio want to go along with this plan?

CREN and keller4president repped this.
  4. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

At the present, 28,000 seats seems fairly ambitious. It will be the second MLS team in the market, and the other, also with a large SSS by MLS standards (capacity 25,000), has difficulty selling theirs out. That said, contrary to the popular tune, toward the end of last season when NYRB were having success, there were sell-outs and near sell-outs.

That said, NYRB is in New Jersey, not in the city, though it's rather easily reached via the PATH train. Accessibility will have something to do with it. Flushing would've been difficult to get to from where I live compared to Red Bull Arena, though it's geographically quite a bit closer to me than Harrison.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
    SPA2TACU5 repped this.

5. comoesa

comoesa Member+

United States
    Well, pretty much any national team friendly match on the East Coast bar Florida possibility could get scheduled there pretty regularly.

6. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

But there was already a 25k seater a subway's ride away from Manhattan, just like this one will be, and a modern, big football stadium in East Rutherford. I don't see that this changes the landscape all that much.

FlipsLikeAPancake repped this.
  7. comoesa

comoesa Member+

United States
    I think this stadia is going to be marketed much better than RBA, for a number of reasons but yeah this stadium is just south of Yankee stadium.

There has to be some osmosis like effect.

8. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Club:
    Columbus Crew
    United States
    The Bronx is not Jersey. Whole different deal here. This is MLS going big time. That's the news.

9. Real Corona

Real Corona Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Montserrat
    Irrelevant is the comparison is Queens vs the Bronx. It's nice to have a team in the actual surroundings of NYC. Yes Red Bull Arena is within a train ride of Manhatten, but it's not on the NYC subway system, so you have to buy two tickets. Getting to the Bronx is easier than getting to the Newark area, and frankly the Bronx is nicer than the Newark/Harrison area. As for how it affects the US national team of NYFC picking the Bronx over Queens? Zero

SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  10. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

United States
    My 30-something NYC friends are moving into the Bronx recently. They have gentrification on their minds. I bet this will help give that kind of credibility to the area

11. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

If you're talking about "nice," and gentrification, then yes, the Bronx is a better bet than the Newark area.

12. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Club:
    --other--
    unfortunately its Yankees osmosis.

13. appoo

appoo Member+

It's NYC's only real Soccer club. If you're from the city, you don't consider anything from New Jersey as yours. Except the Giants and Jets.

14. Real Corona

Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Montserrat
    Under any objective category of nicer the Bronx wins, except perhaps abandoned chemical plants.

SPA2TACU5 and Editor In Chimp repped this.
  15. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Ah, see, I'm not FROM the city. I just happen to live here, like so very many of us who live in the 5 boroughs. (And the NY Giants and Jets are certainly not mine, and neither are the Yankees or Mets...)

NYRB isn't exactly "mine" either except that I go see them regularly. (My club is on the other side of the country.) But I doubt that I'll identify any more with the part-Yankee, part-Citeh owned club in the Bronx any more than Red Bulls. I will probably go see them just as I go see NYRB once their SSS is complete, however.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
    dwsmith1972 repped this.
  16. appoo

appoo Member+

I'm not from there either, this is just talking from people who lived there for a long time...and watching endless episodes of How I Met Your Mother.

But there's definitely a huge difference between Harrison, NJ and the Bronx - and you'll get a different fanbase.

As for the USMNT, I think it's a big deal. From ground up, you're building a top class club, and it's going to be a bit different from the other "big" clubs like The Galaxy, DC United, The RedBulls, and Seattle Sounders. Just having the name NYCFC is a huge deal. It's the 2nd biggest soccer market in the nation behind Los Angelos, and one of the biggest in the world - and one that US Soccer hasn't really tapped into.

We get a ton of kids into the National Team program the West Coast, and especially the LA Basin - but not really New York City area. When we think of those type of kids - Bradley and Rossi - they're Jersey. I actually can't even think of a NYC Metro area kid off the top of my head that we've had in the program. That has to be the next area we tap, and getting a big time club there is huge.

That's also what makes what David Beckham is doing with Miami so important.

17. richmondlaw

richmondlaw Member

Club:
    DC United
    wow $400 million??? my initial reaction is isn't that a huge price for a sub 30,000 seat stadium? Is it simply because of the huge price tage of doing anything in NY?

18. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Land Acquistion is my guess but could be wrong.

19. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Club:
    --other--
    Labor. Construction is very expensive in NYC.

20. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    United States
    Can you elaborate on this?

21. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Club:
    --other--
    and the Yankees if George carried out on his threat many years ago to build the new Yankee Stadium in the Meadowlands. The Devils never intended on being a NY team. They are clearly a New Jersey team.

22. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Club:
    --other--
    Not necessarily in NYC, but Long Island is turning out a lot of players.

23. Real Corona

Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Montserrat
    Many people in New York don't consider New Jersey part of their city and the sports teams in Jersey aren't theirs. There is a different transport network that you have to get on for public transit and for whatever reason culturally they don't see each other as one and the same.

24. appoo

appoo Member+

Partially what Real Corona said above. Two completely different population groups. There's also different demographics, down to athletic ability. NYC is a hot bed of athletic kids, much more than New Jersey, and Soccer is more of a street game than the you'll get from the kids in New Jersey and Long Island. It's very similar to basketball in NJ vs. NYC.

Right now, neither MLS nor the USMNT has really tapped into the biggest soccer market in America, and probably one of the 5 biggest in the world. For many reasons from racial to socioeconomic and everything in the between, the urban centers of America often produce our best athletes.

If we ever get a true Youth Academy system, then the clubs that successfully tap the NYC, Miami, and Los Angeles markets are going to dominate the league, and those clubs are going to be our biggest feeder lines into the USMNT program.

SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  25. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    United States
    I think this is right.

I don't agree at all and wondered whether you might be implying this in your first post. Respectfully, I think you have the wrong of northern NJ generally as some sort of suburbia. The rich ethnic diversity of Queens and Brooklyn and the Bronx continues across the Hudson through Essex and Hudson counties and beyond. On paper one might look and see Harrison and its tiny population and think its something other than a few very diverse (particularly relative to the rest of the country) urban blocks in that megalopolis mentioned above, tucked in between Ironbound (Newark), Kearny and stretching from Jersey City, Union, Elizabeth, Paterson, Passaic, Clifton, North Bergen, West NY, the Oranges and even down to the Brunswicks...This is one giant urban center that doesn't stop at the Hudson. Perhaps when people think NJ they think of Kevin Smith movies [down on the shore] or elsewhere and get this picture of white affluent suburbia that just isn't the case. After Queens, Essex County and Hudson, Passaic are extraordinarily diverse.

As for unstructured street soccer, you have to walk past Kids playing soccer on the streets* at the courts in Harrison* to get RBA, depending where you park. If you park in Ironbound on the other side of the Passaic, you might pass any of 3 public parks with courts and fields where you find Portuguese, Brazilian, and other Central and South American kids playing pick up. And this continues throughout Essex and Hudson for a long time until you get to anything like suburbs as understood elsewhere. In short, NYCFC's crowd will be different geographically, but functionally identical demographically.

*where Tab, Reyna, Meola and Harkes played as kids incidentally.

SPA2TACU5, manoa and cleansheetbsc repped this.
Moderators: dark knight