All disciplines welcome - the MMA thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal Off Topic' started by wanye_stirrear, Sep 6, 2011.

1. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member

The boxing thread has taken a turn to discuss MMA, and it's probably better to start a MMA thread than to step on boxing's territory. They are too completely different sports. So here we are.

Silva, Diaz has no chance against GSP. Diaz is mainly a BJJ guy (I hate saying that b/c they are all well-rounded, mixed martial artist but that's his strength). If his training partner Jake Shields couldn't beat GSP, Nate won't either. There is no one at welterweight who can beat GSP. Period.

2. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    I'd disagree with you in the sense that Diaz is all BJJ. I think his boxing is good enough to really test GSP and it's certainly better than Jake Shield's boxing.

But I know it'll be a tall order for him, just because GSP appears to be on a different planet.

I'm excited for the fight.
  3. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member

Well, Shield's stand-up was horrible. It was shocking how bad it was. His Muay Thai was at a blue belt level at best. His form was horrible. His kicks were slow. His hands looped. He really looked like an amatuer on his feet. That was the biggest disappointment.

GSP had the option of turning it into a pure boxing match to coast to an easy victory. Shield's wrestling also wasn't great. His shots were easily stuffed. It seems like he only really is great on the ground. But if you can't get the fight there, what's the point?

But, I don't expect anything different from Diaz. Shields is a better MMA fighter than Diaz, and Shields was way out of his league. Diaz's stand-up probably is better. It's hard to be worse...but at the end of the day, it won't matter. GSP is way too good for anyone at welterweight.
  4. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    October 29th is the date. Let's check back then. Should be interesting.

5. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member

Alistair Overeem now is in the UFC, and he's going to be fighting Brock Lesnar at the end of the year. Wow, that's going to be a great fight.

Ben Henderson also is fighting Clay Guida. That's going to be another great fight.

Dana really is putting together some really good cards.
  6. Scally

Scally Member+

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ireland Republic
    Most of GSP's fights have become really boring but thats probably down to him sticking to his diciplined game plans and not pushing hard for stoppages. I predict a very comfortable decision for him on the 29th. Really cant see anything in Nicks game that Georges isnt better at in an MMA contest, including BJJ.

Guida looks more polished since he joined Jacksons camp, still has that intensity and mad movement but looks tighter. I like Henderson too, both good wrestlers so it will probably turn into an exciting stand up battle.
  7. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member

Well, Nick Diaz is off the card now. He didn't turn up to the pressers in Toronto and Las Vegas, so he got cut. Carlos Condit now is fighting GSP. This will be a better fight imo anyway.

Guida/ Henderson will be fun to watch. i don't see it as being a stand-up battle though. It will be up and down. That's the way both of them fight naturally.
  8. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    oh god. I just read the news.

what a disappointment.
  9. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member

Diaz is back on the card, but he's fighting BJ Penn. That should be a good fight too, but if Penn's shoulder is better, I think he'll win.
  10. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    has Diaz come out at all and spoke about what his problem is?

You think he did it as a way to get out of the fight without ever actually saying so?
  11. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member

No, he didn't do it to get out of the fight. I think he wants to fight GSP. He's always has been socially ackward and adverse to the media and stuff. He says it gives him anxiety. He has a track record of it, which is why he almost didn't get a UFC contract. It's still hard to beleive that he can't just show up, but that's him. He's always has been a flake when it comes to media commitments, but he's never been scared to fight.
  12. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    which is why the idea of him weasling out did seem odd to me. I didn't want to believe it.

I've seen him speak before and he seems completely genuine about his love for whipping another man's ass.

At least Dana White isn't completely shunning him and gave him a spot on the card anyway. Hopefully if he wins they can have another go round with GSP.
  13. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member

Jake Shields...lol. Where does he go now? He got knocked out in the first round. I'm guessing he's a good 3-4 fights away from a title shot now.
  14. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66ur2eA3NYw] Way of Life - Dead Prez [/ame]

This song explains very well why I fell in love with combat sports. The lyrics really hit it on the head. This is really what it is about and how you feel (or at least how I feel).
  15. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Its been reported numerous times the kid is baked out of his mind almost 24/7

He was totally high when he fought Gomi. His interviews are routinely painful to listen to because nobody has a clue wth he's trying to say. In any event, there was a recent yahoo article about how White is starting to understand Diaz and is actually conforming to him instead of the other way around. White is apparently just coming to understand what a social misfit Diaz is and that despite his shortcoming in this area, nobody questions his octagon heart.

That said, Nick Diaz always shows up for his fight. This one is kind of interesting not only because of the physical matchup but because these two were pseudo friends and at one time trained together when they were in Mountain View California.
  16. K:thecore

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Anyone know whats up with Jose Aldo lately? Who's he slated to fight?
  17. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Scotland
    UFC 135 is set to be recorded. So glad I got the ESPN UK package. Looking forward to it.
  18. K:thecore

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Just funny to me that up to this point, Rampage has been trying to intimidate Bones as he normally does and Bones is just not having any of it. Dude is as cool as a cucumber at all times. This is going to end badly for Rampage
  19. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member

IIRC, he's supposed to be fighting Kenny Florian in two weeks.
  20. K:thecore

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Wow...great challenge for Aldo. That should be a banger worth watching unlike the Rampage Bones match.

I was a bit surprised by Joe's post match banter for that match. He used "most spectacular" and other hyperbole to describe the fight, and I thought it was anything but that. Obviously Jones is a true MMA combatant while Rampage is a completely one-dimensional pit fighter who usually has no game plan. Jones went in there and kept space mostly with kicks and to a lesser degree striking which eventually took their toll on Rampage. It was a sleeper until that 4th round anticlimactic RNC.

meh
  21. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member

UFC is in DC this weekend (and on TV for free), and I have tickets to it. I'm pretty excited about it. Watch out for a guy named Mike Easton. He's affiliated with our camp, and it's his UFC debut.
  22. Scally

Scally Member+

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ireland Republic
    Wiman/Danzig was an exciting fight to watch. Not great technically, if either guy had more KO power it would have been over in round 1 but credit to both guys for going at it and taking some decent shots.

Loved how Struve caught Barry in the triangle. He transitioned well and cinched it in deep after the slam.

What a pace by Cruz and Johnson for 25mins. So much movement that nothing much happened offensively for both guys. Great heart shown by them.

Really looking forward to next weeks card. I like Edgar a lot, he seems like a really cool dude and brings the fight. I was so impressed with his comeback against Maynard after getting beat down in round 1 of their first title fight that I became an even bigger fan.

Sonnen will probably get a step closer to a re-match with Silva if he beats Stann, he is surely a strong favourite to get the W.

Man, Florian/Aldo, Stephens/Pettis, Guillard/Lauzon and another re-match in Phan/Garcia makes this a very nice event for me. Looking forward to sitting down Sunday morning and watching UFC 136
  23. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member

The non-televised prelim fights were better than the televised card. I wish you all could have seen Mike Easton. He looked awesome and dismantled his opponent.

I agree. Neither had knockout power. Danzig was the better striker, and I thouht he won the fight. I was shocked the judged gave it to Wiman.

Pat Barry is a great kickboxer. Our conditioning team, Soldierfit, sponsors him (you can see the logo on the back of his shorts). However, he just got into MMA a little while back, so his grappling is a joke for the pro level. It's just a huge liability for him. Everyone knew if the fight went to the ground, the fight would be over pretty quickly...and it didn't take long for him to get caught in a triangle. He didn't even defend it well. I doubt he'll be in the UFC for long. He's too one-dimensional.

Actually, this was one of Cruz's more subdued fights. He looked slow, sluggish and didn't show his typical, awkward, dance-like fighting style. I know on Monday, he weighed 151, and he had to get down to 135 by weigh-ins on that Friday. I'm speculating, but I think the weight cut hurt him. He definitely was off-form. With that said, he fought hard, and while everyone I was with was going for him (he's affiliated with our camp and trains with us when in DC), I secretly was going for Mighty Mouse. That kid had heart and balls of steel. If he could have learned to defend the take-down, he would have won that fight...but he couldn't, and he allowed Cruz to lay on him and catch his breath (tbf to Cruz he did mount him and take his back..he just couldn't get the finish).
    UFC 136 easily could be one of the best UFC events ever. There are so many good match-ups. I'm excited about it as well.
  24. Scally

Scally Member+

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ireland Republic
    Im pretty sure they were live on Facebook but its at a bad time for me over here to check them out!

It was certainly close. One of the things that stands out to me in MMA regarding striking is the fact that good technical boxing doesnt score as much as the power punches that are thrown in a contest. Danzig clearly had more sucess with clean strikes but with more focus on accuracy and technique. A bit like the Diaz brothers. Im not sure how 'significant strikes' are scored but Wiman certainly landed more of them. I'd be happy if you could break that down more for me so I have a better picture on scoring the rounds from my arm chair.

I agree, he wont survive on KO power alone but he is the kinda guy White seems to like. I'll never forget him though for this "OMG" moment :D

[​IMG]

Really? I had no idea he had to sweat off that much, im sure it had to affect his performance. He also fought with a broken hand which impeeded him a lot. The way I saw it on the night though was that Mighty Mouse was just so fast and his foot work was so good that it nullified the unique style of Cruz. He was really in Cruz's face the entire fight but didnt manage to land anything of signifance in the 25mins to be fair. The grappling won it and even though he got the takedowns MM was like a jack in a box, impossible to hold down. Both guys showed a lot of character and there was really no looser in the long run.

Yea man im pumped!! :)
  25. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member

Wiman did better in the clinch. Danzig had success with his uppercuts, but Wiman's elbows did all of the damage. To answer your question, I don't know. I'm not sure that's true, although it could be. In general, lots of people complain about the judges. The judges are commissioned by the state in which the match takes place. A lot of these judges are old boxing judges. They really don't know crap about MMA. Kickboxers complain that they undervalue leg kicks and put more weight on punches even though kicks are just as or maybe more damaging than punches. BJJ guys complain that the judges don't understand their art, and if they are on their back, they can attack and almost submit a guy four or five times, but the judges still give the rounds to the guy on the top even thought he was the one in danger. There is a huge learning curve that needs to take place with judging in general. A lot of them never did martial arts, so they don't really understand what they are seeing. Dana White speaks about it a lot. The refs are fine, but the judges are a bit of a joke. That's why one has to finish the fight and keep it out of their hands.

That was a crazy fight. I'm still on the fence as to whether the ref should have stopped the fight earlier when Kongo obviously was rattled. Pat had to feel gypped.

There definitely was no loser. Might Mouse won over a lot of fans in the crowd. I think by the third round, most neutrals in the stadium were cheering for him. I heard about Cruz's hand today. Apparently, it was broken before the fight ever started, and he just didn't tell anyone because he didn't want to pull out. These guys are tough as nails. I don't think I would have fought a title fight with a broken hand - maybe if I broke it during the fight when I had adrenaline in my body to help me out, but I don't think I would have done it if it was broken before the fight.