American People Failure Watch

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by minerva, Oct 24, 2012.

1. minerva

minerva Member+

Club:
    Liverpool FC
    United States
    since we have a thread for all of the failures of all the various political parties (at least the relevant ones) and some of the more relevant politicians, I think it is high time we as the American populace become a little introspective and ask ourselves why is it that our politicians suck so much. why is it that our politicians treat us and talk to us like children. remember the words of Alexis de Tocqueville: "In a democracy, the people get the government they deserve." I made mention of this in another thread, but it got me thinking that it probably deserved its own thread.

the way both candidates are talking to the American people in platitudes and sound bites, like they're children, reminds me of the way Jesus spoke to the crowds in parables, so that "seeing they may not see, and hearing they may not understand." sadly, easily manipulable children who care more about football and reality television, is exactly what the American people have proven themselves to be.

let me be clear, this is not meant to be a comparison of either candidate to Jesus, but rather the crowds in Jesus' time to the American people. people say we have shit for candidates. I'm not voting for anybody! friends, the reason we have shit for candidates is because we have shit for citizens! the reason candidates speak to you in platitudes, sound bites, talking points, and indeed, outright lies, is because we let them get away with it! the candidates would not speak that way to us if they knew they couldn't get away with it. perhaps they wouldn't speak that way to us if they knew they could keep your attention longer than 30 seconds! the problems (economic, social, political, environmental, military, geopolitical, etc.) are much too complex to address in a 30-second campaign ad, or in a sound bite. they require careful study, research, debate, and thought. how many Americans have actually researched in a serious way any of the issues being discussed? how many Americans have researched any of the candidates' voting records? their previous utterances on various issues? or read lengthy scholarly articles or (gasp!), maybe even a book on any of the complex issues (the economy, social issues, climate change, etc.) facing America today? or do most of us simply rely on what you heard from the candidates during a few debates, where we knew they were going to by lying and telling us anything to get our vote? or worse, do we just listed/watch Maddow, Hanaty, Limbaugh, or Jon Stewart for your "news" and "analysis" and simply parrot back the sound bites we hear? I exempt most people on P&CE from this criticism because simply by virtue of being regular posters on P&CE means that we are more aware of what is going on in the world today in terms of current events and politics and care enough about them to discuss and debate those issues, but the vast majority of the American people are not like this.

most Americans don't seem to realize that there is more to civic responsibility than checking some boxes on a ballot every 4 years, or listening to 30 minutes of a presidential debate. civic responsibility is hard, and can be boring at time. that's why it's a responsibility. they don't call it civic joy or civic fun for a reason. so de Tocqueville was spot on - if you want to look at why we have a crappy government, look at the people who elected them. which is to say, look in the mirror.
    crazypete13 repped this.

2. Yoshou

Yoshou Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Would I be out of line to point to the entirety of Schapes's posts?

:)
    crazypete13 and dapip repped this.
  3. Crimen y Castigo

Crimen y Castigo Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    Los Angeles
    United States
  4. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I had plans for starting this thread two weeks from today, should a certain scenario play out.

5. minerva

minerva Member+

Club:
    Liverpool FC
    United States
    yeah, he wasn't one of the ones I was referring to when I wrote "I exempt most people on P&CE from this criticism because simply by virtue of being regular posters on P&CE means that we are more aware of what is going on in the world today in terms of current events and politics and care enough about them to discuss and debate those issues."
  6. Yoshou

Yoshou Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Dude.. That's six whole steps. Way too many to walk up..
  7. Barbara

Barbara Where is Rickon?

Club:
    DC United
    United States
    I know it looks ridiculous but I'll bet $100 that it's some sort of ADA thing. A ramp would have been lots cheaper but maybe there isn't enough room for a ramp, which would necessarily be longer because the angle would be less pronounced.
    Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  8. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This is America, man.

That's the "down" escalator. The "up" escalator is actually to the right.
    DoctorD and crazypete13 repped this.
  9. superdave

superdave Member+

Club:
    DC United
    United States
    tl;dr
  10. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm not sure a person confined to a wheelchair would prefer that to a ramp.
  11. minerva

minerva Member+

Club:
    Liverpool FC
    United States
    yeah, they would need one of those chair lifts like in the movie Up.
  12. Barbara

Barbara Where is Rickon?

Club:
    DC United
    United States
    There might be other facilities for wheelchair-bound people but, if you serve a population with a lot of elderly folks, those stairs could be a problem. I could see something like that in q-tip heavy areas of Florida, for instance.
  13. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    United States
    What is the % of Americans that believe in Creationism?
    Alien adductions (not talking drug lords kidnapping people)?
    We committed genocide in Iraq?
    Good things come from rape?
    Etc, ect
  14. Crimen y Castigo

Crimen y Castigo Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    Los Angeles
    United States
    I thought about that as well:

Despite their considerable scope, two Congressional Acts, the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), did not directly affect escalators or their public installations. Since Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act included public transportation systems, for a few years, the United States Department of Transportation considered designs to retrofit existing escalators for wheelchair access. Nonetheless, Foster-Miller Associates’ 1980 plan, Escalator Modification for the Handicapped was ultimately ignored in favor of increased elevator installations in subway systems. Likewise, the ADA provided more accessibility options, but expressly excluded escalators as “accessible means of egress,” advocating neither their removal nor retention in public structures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escalator
  15. White/Blue_since1860

White/Blue_since1860 Member+

Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Germany
    [​IMG]

Great thread. The first presidential election campaign I follow that closely and it made me think a several times that how failed your politicians are, they would never make it to a community council over here. They'd more likely make it to a mental hospital. Especially how the politicians deal with the truth. But tough it's way more entertaining than Merkel pattering her speeches.

Politics here is like watching paint dry.
    s7kru and guignol repped this.
  16. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

United States
    You probably know this, but everything in America is entertainment.

Mentally ill people hoarding tons of garbage in their homes, suicidal highway police pursuits, News, and politics -- especially politics -- it's ALL entertainment. It's not a serious undertaking, no matter how much they try to make it so.
    crazypete13 and minerva repped this.
  17. Ties5o11

Ties5o11 Member

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    If all Europeans spend their days contemplating science, they sure as hell don't have a lot to show for it in the last few decades.

Also, we work harder than you. (you being Europeans)
  18. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

United States
    Spending more hours at work does not mean you work harder. It means you spend more time getting bent over by The Man.
  19. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

And have shittier healthcare, public transportation systems, education, etc. to show for it.
  20. White/Blue_since1860

White/Blue_since1860 Member+

Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Germany
    Lets do a short check first:

We Europeans get for our tax Euros:
    - full health care
    - generous pensions
    - 6 weeks off a year
    - maternity leave
    - free college
    - public transportation that doesnt smell like pee

whereas your tax dollars go to:
    - military bases in Germany(thank you)
    - subsidies to oil companies
    - building bridges to nowhere
    - waging wars on a whim
    - and putting Wesley Snipes in prison

Last but not least, we have made some things we proudly show:
    We've got AIRBUS.

You've got "the bus".

BÄÄÄM!
    s7kru and billyireland repped this.
  21. Mr. Warmth

Mr. Warmth BigSoccer Yellow Card

Club:
    Chicago Fire
    United States
    Escalators cannot be a part of an ADA solution. They are not wheelchair accessible.

A wheelchair lift is an acceptable solution.

[​IMG]
  22. Mr. Warmth

Club:
    Chicago Fire
    United States
    Nothing wrong with that

Airbus ain't nothing to be proud of
    Mr. Conspiracy and minerva repped this.
  23. Mr. Warmth

Club:
    Chicago Fire
    United States
    They don't spend their days contemplating science any more than Americans spend their days contemplating WWJD

Speak for yourself. I work smarter and make lemmings like you work harder.
  24. Mr. Warmth

Club:
    Chicago Fire
    United States
    Less than the % of Americans that don't give it a thought

Not really, we're not very good at it. Now Germans, they know how to do some genocide, with the Russkies a close second
    Depends on who's getting raped, don't it?
  25. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    United States
    It applies with which ever scenario plays out.