1. Save 40-80% on great soccer jerseys. Shop today at BigSoccer Shop!

American U-15's Invited to Join 1860 Munich Youth Academy

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by JayDelight729, Sep 22, 2006.

1. JayDelight729

JayDelight729 Member

Top Drawer Soccer's frontpage story is on a group of youth americans whom have recently trained at 1860 Munich including upfront pairing Bobby Wood and Kovi Konowiecki.

Wood and Konowiecki have decided to make the move and will be heading over to Munich permanently in the club's academy setup.

Charles Renken (U-15) will be having trials at major Euro clubs in October including Arsenal.

Alex Wimmer has an Austrian passport and has trials with a handful of Euro clubs. He has already been only trial at Manchester and Bayern Munich. Furthermore, he has already received an academy spot offer from Red Bull Salzburg.

Very good news on the hoirzon it appears.

2. rossgreen

rossgreen Member

Nice find. Keep us updated.

3. superdave

superdave Member+

Club:
    DC United
    United States
    How does this square with the FIFA rule against the international transfer of children? I know Renken is a Liberian (or some other West African nation)-American, and he does NOT have an EU passport. And not mentioning an EU passport for the first two players is a dog not barking.

4. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Club:
    DC United
    United States
    I know that you are the expert, but if a player is just joining a youth academy, it isn't a transfer as the club has no rights to him in the future. That's a question or should be.

5. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Last month, we had a kid try out our club who was on one of 1860 Munich's youth teams last season (before his family moved to the States).

He's not a bad player, but he would be far from the star of our squad if he joined. (In fact, I believe that following the usual policy, he was offered a slot on the "B" team, with the opportunity work his way onto the "A" team by the winter if things worked out right.) So based on that sample size of 1, I'd suggest that probably a whole lot of American kids are good enough to win spots at the German academies.

But there's good enough to be better than the guy you replace, and good enough to be waaay better, which is probably the only thing that justifies the expense & effort required for all parties. That would clearly be a much smaller number of players.

FYI, Charles Renken is technically a U13, being born in December '93. As always with the superphenoms, a really big U13 -- taller than the typical U15 even last year, as an 11 year old. But if Arsenal is interested (and if Rob is to believed), he's also quite the soccer player as well as an early development story.

6. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

The function of the population pool there vs. here. Plus, the neverending number of the Euro soccer academies.

7. pwip

pwip Member

[​IMG]

It is with a sense of saddness our boys has to make this kind of sacrafice to become better players. I'm not sure if this their dream or their parent's dream but a that is lot of courage to make that leap overseas at such a young age.

That is why I hope to never see LD on the US team again.

8. JayDelight729

JayDelight729 Member

Playing at a youth academy is not a transfer. However, it makes it easier to get an EU passport down the road.

The biggest find in the article, IMHO, is the creation of those organizations that will arrange for high level US talents to get trials with these US Academies.

I think over the next 18 months-2 years we will see a large number of Americans move to these academies. It will be a place where they can get their Euro Passport and then move into other areas of Europe.

This will cause MLS wake up and begin to develop their own acadmies.

9. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Club:
    DC United
    United States
    I think it depends on how you define "large number" I suppose. I doubt it will be anything that will cause MLS to do anything, though if MLS moves quicker down that path than they were, that would be a good thing.

10. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Agreed. I just heard the first thing about these organizations myself a few months back. It appears that they have already become the primary apparatus for giving interested and talented teenage Americans the chance to join European academies.

11. chad

chad Member+

United States
    :rolleyes:

Was that intentionally absurd?

12. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

I think the German citizenship requires 8 years of residence.

What's more important for the kids going to Germany specifically these days is that Bundesliga has gone away with any sort of a foreign/non-EU player limit. The talents still will have to wait until 18 to sign a pro-deal - a year after their EU counterparts are legally authorized to tun pro - but this gives their academy sponsors a leg up on their competition.

From now on, I assume most Germans clubs will begin looking for the available prospects across the globe. It just makes sense for them at this point in time, even if it costs a little more to bring over a foreign youth.

13. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

I know it makes you feel badly about yourself, but Landon is entitled to live his own life without your interests in mind. Console yourself that Pele turned down many many many offers to play at big Euro clubs in his prime and it seemed to turn out OK.

14. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Man, we need to cap that dude on the right, he's huge!

15. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Pele was forbidden to go abroad by the Brazilian government.

And, y'know, Pele dominated the domestic competition.

16. pwip

pwip Member

whew... did you just compared LD and Pele?

LD can do what ever he wants. I just don't want him on the USMNT or at least 11 better players than him the US can put on the field.

At this point. he represent the worst thing about US soccer, unfounded arrogancy and complacency.

17. JayDelight729

JayDelight729 Member

You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Sandon Mibut again.

On a side note, I am attempting to get in contact with the two players going to 1860 Munich and hopefully get find out when they join 1860 Munich.

18. nancyb

nancyb Member

Club:
    DC United
    United States
    I read it twice and never figured out the intent.

19. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Club:
    DC United
    United States
    is that the giant Charles Renken on the right?

20. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Club:
    Chicago Fire
    United States

Not too mention that Brazil's top flight is a lot better then MLS.

21. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator Staff Member

I thought EU passports arent needed at the youth/academy level.

22. superdave

superdave Member+

Club:
    DC United
    United States
    OK, so the team brings the kid into the youth academy, he canNOT play reserves, and the team does NOT retain any rights to him when he's an adult.

I've always acknowledged that as possible, but assumed that teams wouldn't go for it. See, they've got to pay the kid while he's there, and if he stinks, it's wasted money and time, and if he's really good, in the case of a player in Munich, Bayern Munich will just swoop in and take him.

But, hey, the clubs are smarter than me about it, they must see an advantage to all this.

I think mid-size clubs will try this, and if enough of the kids decide to stick with familiar surroundings, there will be the way around the rule. But if too many kids either aren't good enough, or ARE good enough but get stolen by richer clubs, well, it's obvious what'll happen then.

In Germany? I thought they had some of the toughest citizenship rules in Europe. This'd make more sense for Belgian and Dutch clubs.

23. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

15 year old boys aren't good enough for the reserve play anyway.

The latter part is correct but it'd take an exceptional individual playing for a very small club not to want to sign with the team that "raised" him.

BTW, rich clubs are just as susceptible to personal whims as the small clubs.

It assumes that a smaller club can not match Bayern wages for an 18-year old player.

I would think that if one discovered such a stud, than the obvious choice would be to send him back to his home country to sign a pro contract with the Euro parent owning the bulk of it.

Hypothetically then, one could probably be loaned back to the Euro parent. (well, this is one hypothetical that needs to be tested)

But this is the same situation as currently exists for Euro players and the number of defections is clearly small enough for this approach to make financial sense.

24. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

United States
    Not sure how well that plan would work with Americans. Can't see MLS playing that game right now. Too bad, really.

25. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

It doesn't have to be MLS.