1. Save 40-80% on great soccer jerseys. Shop today at BigSoccer Shop!

Are Bundesliga supporters free from racism?

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Catfish, Jan 11, 2004.

Moderators: ForeverRed, Hendrik, IASocFan
  1. Catfish

Catfish Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Are there still some supporters of clubs that are still anti-jewish? I know the Holocaust was 60 years ago, but it is possible.

Which Bundesliga clubs and their fans have been most embracing of NON-German players, minorities, and non-German fans??? Just curious. You know there are always a few bad elements, but which ones in the top flight seem to jump out as very liberal or slightly racist?

Thanks.

2. F96

F96 Member

Club:
    Hannover 96
    St. Pauli [​IMG]

3. luvdagame

luvdagame Member

get outa there cory!!!!!

maybe it's a good thing they're not bundesliga anymore.

4. SmittyLax6

SmittyLax6 New Member

Who cares????

5. Parkhead_Faithful

Parkhead_Faithful New Member

Re: Re: Are Bundesliga supporters free from racism?

Our sister club :)

6. aloisius

aloisius Member

Probably the only club in the only club in the world with an openly gay president.
    And they play Hell’s bells (AC/DC) as the players come on to the pitch. Can’t beat that.

7. Germanshepherd

Germanshepherd New Member

Shut the f..k up! What has the Third Reich to do with it anyway?

Go and play with your Kindergarten friends.

8. worldfootballgenius

worldfootballgenius Member

Club:
    FC Bayern München
    United States
    Major League Soccer has much more rcism issues than the bundesliga. The bundesliga is the league with the widest variety of ethnicity, germany is too. H=Germany hasn't been racist since 1945. I agree with germanshepherd. Shut the *#*#*#! UP!

9. brassmonkey

brassmonkey Member

If we are talking anti semetism, I actually think the Bundesliga is better than most. The French is probably the worst. St. Pauli as mentioned, is a club followed by extremists, but they arent here anymore.

BTW, stop thrashin on the guy. Its a legitimate question. And to the man who said Germany hasnt been racist since 1945, you are a moron, and should be the posterchild for birth control. Racism is everywhere, and denying it only makes it worse.

10. worldfootballgenius

worldfootballgenius Member

Club:
    FC Bayern München
    United States

Although i went over the top, I still feel that he should shut the f up

11. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Club:
    Manchester United FC
    United States
    Not insuating anything, but a foreign exchange student from Germany told me there is some problem with Turks in Germany. Any info on that? Please don't jump on me or anything I'm just asking.

thanks

12. Parkhead_Faithful

And why should anyone listen to you when you see racism and anti-sematism where there is none except in your own sick head?

13. brassmonkey

brassmonkey Member

Re: Re: Re: Are Bundesliga supporters free from racism?

Your saying there isnt any racism or anti semetism? Yeah buddy, I'm the sick one :rolleyes: What about the synagogue in Berlin where vandals spray painted the phrase "6 million is not enough" all over the walls? I guess that isnt anti-semetic. The synagogue that was set on fire in France last year? You are delusional, and you need to take a reality check.

14. Parkhead_Faithful

I wasnt talking about germany I was refering to comments you made in the past about Eyal Berkovic's treatment at the hands of celtic supporters which were utter lies.
    You generalise and you lie so how can anyone trust your info?

15. brassmonkey

brassmonkey Member

How was I generalising? And Eyal Berkovic was called racist names. Those are not lies. You tell lies. You generalise all Rangers fans as racist, while saying all Celtic fans are wonderful people. You are simply a moron. You are an idiot. Nobody can take you seriously because you cant come up with a cohesive argument

16. Korean Football

Korean Football New Member

Many Korean footy fans associate the Bundesligan fans as very welcoming. That's mostly because of "Cha Boom" and how he was welcomed by the Bundesliga fans.

Because of him(and a couple other Korean players who've played in the Bundesliga who were all treated well by the local fans), the image of German fans to the eyes of the Korean fans are actually really good.

17. afgrijselijkheid

afgrijselijkheid Member+

Club:
    AFC Ajax
    bundesliga fans are definitely stern judges on a guy's performances, but are generally welcoming of players from abroad - perhaps the better question would be 'is any large group of people free from racism? probably not, but i've seen no elements to be concerned with at any german match site... of course i didn't make the leipzig derby :D

18. Parkhead_Faithful

You brand entire leagues and supporters of certain clubs as racist or anti-semites based on the actions of a few.
    Yes they are, because you dont have a single shred of proof to back these allegations up and you are the only person making these claims, where is youre evidence? How do you know? you have admitted never having been to glasgow to see rangers play so unless you followed celtic around for a season without telling anyone how do you know?
    I was there son and I can tell you right now you are lying.

Whole stands at Ibrox have been caught on film and on live radio broadcasts making monkey noises directed at black celtic players, Ive gave you the links hundreds of times and yet you still wont believe it,what does it take?
    Whereas celtic supporters in the past seasons have travelled all over europe with no trouble and won recognition and an award from FIFA no less, not generalisation,not lies, FACT.

I Dont know I have made an arse of you enough times, come back to the scotland board where I will happily shoot you down repeatedly and make you look like a tit because this isnt the forum for discussing such matters.

19. SchalkeSupporter

SchalkeSupporter New Member

About racism/antisimitism in German stadium...I am sure there are still weirdos who believe in that *#*#*#*# (especially in Essen and East-Germany) but the large mijority stands up against it.

I can mainly just talk about us auf Schalke. We are a club with a lot of international players and we have lots of fanclubs in Holland and Belgium. If someone lifts the right arm at our ground, he will get knocked out by other fans, or the cops get him out and he gets a 5 year stadium ban.

But I can see that especially in Eastern Europe the racism grows and grows. Here a little example...I collect soccer scarves, so I surf a lot in the net and look for guestbooks of teams or fanclubs and ask for scarf trades. At 90% (!) of the fanclub sites of Eastern European teams (Russia, Czeck Republic, Poland,...) I could see Nazi symbols or salutes in the guestbooks...or the members were Skinheads. Maybe here at bigsoccer.com are people from those countries and can try to explain me if my impression is correct or not.

But in generell I think every nations and soccer teams has radical idiots...also in Israel...we try our best to ban is from Germany and we auf Schalke do our best to keep the ground clean...

20. ForeverStuttgart1893

ForeverStuttgart1893 New Member

Schalke, you make it sound as if lots of Polish/eastern european clubs are racist. I'm from Poland(Krakow) so i take a bit of offense to that. Really, the only major clubs that are bad are GKS Katowice and Legia. Legia probably are the worst, but they arne't even that bad anymore. It's not like back in the 60's and 70's. Also, could you just be mad at Polish clubs for that beating Wisla gave you last year in the UEFA Cup?
    jk

21. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Anyone remember in the mid-90s when the black Brazilian defender, Julio Cesar played for Borussia Dortmund? Shortly after he arrived at the club he went out one night to a local Dortmund discoteque and was refused entry. He vowed to quit the team and leave Dortmund, but then a large number of fans rallied together and picketed the nightclub. They later hung a giant banner in the stands reading, "Don't leave, Julio", or something to that effect. He decided to remain with the team where he went on to win the European Cup. A happy ending after all.

22. SchalkeSupporter

SchalkeSupporter New Member

@ ForeverStuttgart1893:

I just talked about my impressions what I saw when I entered those sites. Especially at clubs like Legia, Liberec from the Czech Republic and lots of Russian teams. Even the Ultras of FC Gomel from Belarus are Skinheads...too funny. Maybe I had a little bad luck and chose the wrong sites, but my impression is that the Eastern European teams are influenced by that (of course not all).

About Wisla Krakow...I dunno what they are and what they think...at least the German stops stopped a bus of them when they just stole stuff in a supermarket...when they checked their bus, they found guns, knives and table-legs with nails inside...that makes me thinking about what´s going on in Poland at league matches...I better don´t wanne know!

And that they beat us 4:1...that was absolutely OK, they were 2 classes better on that day... :)

23. ForeverStuttgart1893

ForeverStuttgart1893 New Member

Yea, I do know that Wisla does have some crazy fans. I'm not one of them. We had a fan throw a knife at Dino Baggio a few years back. Legia Warsaw fans are really scary, though. They went crazy at their last match againts Widzew Lodz(their main rival)

24. jonam

jonam Member

I just want to describe my experience with racism in Germany. I am talking about my experiences instead of my opinion as this topic is to delicate, I think. Read this post and make up your own opinion.

Racism is a topic in Germany, of course. Most of the people I meet in stadium are friendly, non-racists and are even welcoming foreigners on and off the pitch. That counts for a rough 90%*1 or even more, I think. Then there is a group of people that doesn't show their antipathy towards foreigners but have massive prejudices. At last there is a minor group (less then 1%, maybe even only a handful of guys or even none in some stadiums) that show that they are racists and anti-Semitic. Be it that they are Skinheads (despite that original Skinheads are not that political but that is how short-haired rascists are called here in Germany) or wear symbols that show their attitude (Hakenkreuz, Reichskrieg-flag...).

The last time I saw some of those guys on a match day was in Hamburg in 2002 (even the extreme right-wing party NPD had a stall at the metro station next to the AOL-Arena) and in Berlin some years ago when I bought some beer behind the Hertha fan sector.

In Dortmund the last time I saw Skinheads was in 1997 when Sparta Prague visited Dortdund. Unluckily we bought tickets on the black market for the Sparta sector. Behind us were stewards to seperate both fan groups and we were in the middle of the Spartans. Most of them "normal" fans but also a group of 50 Skinheads of the meanest category. Not really a good feeling......

But at all I experienced the atmosphere in German stadiums as very warm and welcoming.

jonam (of Indian origin and 100% open-minded)

*1 As the borders between the groups that I mentioned are fluent you can't say every group is completely homogeneous in its opinion. For example anti-Semitic prejudices are spread especially among the elder Germans. Be it that some people still think Jews are always dealing with money or simliar ones. And very often people that normally have no problems with foreigners project their troubles (lost job or wife) to them ("They steal our jobs..."). So a very complex issue and we should be careful not to generalize.

25. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Bhutan
    I know what you are talking about. This kind of people (normally i would use others words to describe them, but maybe minors are reading this, so i try to be as polite as possible ;) ) was very vocal in Braunschweig in the early/mid 90s. As a kid i always had the feeling to be completly sourrounded by Nazis. You had/heard rascist or anti-semite chants, flags, patches etc. everywhere (at least that was my impression back then). As a consequence i stopped going to the stadium until the club took action against this. Today i am going again and the situation became much better in my opinion (although it's still not perfect, but at least you don't have the feeling anymore that such a behaviour is endorsed).

Moderators: ForeverRed, Hendrik, IASocFan