1. Save 40-80% on great soccer jerseys. Shop today at BigSoccer Shop!

Best Cleat for a Defender

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by DeathLeprechaun, Jun 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeathLeprechaun

DeathLeprechaun New Member

Hi Guys,

I'm a Sophomore in High School and getting ready to prepare for the fall season. I'm 15 and my feet have pretty much stopped growing, so my parents have finally decided to let me get a nice expensive pair of cleats. But, this purchase has to last me through senior year, so I want the best pair possible.

I play left fullback. I am a starter and play most of the game. However, this was when I played JV as a freshman. I'm unsure whether I'll make JV or Varsity, so assume that if I make JV I play all the time and get much less playing time on Varsity.

I'm mainly focusing on two cleats: The Nike Total 90 III FG and Nike Mercurial Vapor III FG or whatever the heck the long names are. Basically, the Vapors and 90's.

Which pair would be better for a defender? Reading around descriptions for the Vapors, it focuses on "speed" and "getting past defenders". I'm already the fastest kid on my team (seriously) and I have no need for getting past defenders... these cleats are sweet, but would they be the best?

The Total 90s emphasize on power and kicking the ball hard-- something that I need. Not to say my kicks are bad, but a little extra distance surely wouldn't hurt.

Price isn't a factor here. My parents have allowed me to get whatever is best, within reason (that means no diamond studded kangaroo leather shoes witih built-in lazers).

So what pair of cleats should I get? I also play indoor and spring soccer (not for school) so this pair would have to be very durable. Or, does the pair not matter at all and I should get whatever I want?

Thanks. =)

2. Old US Keeper

Old US Keeper New Member

Your last sentence answered your own question. Whatever feels comfortable is what is best for you. There is no such thing as a "best boot for a certain position", IMHO. Your talent is what makes the difference, not the boot.

Good luck.

3. Paul.eta

Paul.eta Member

yup, you need to go try some on in a shop and get what is comfortable. but if you decide to go with the nike air zoom total 90 iii there are available at nike outlets for $69.99.

i've had bad experiences with the nike azt 90 iii's so go check them out in person if possible.

4. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The Azt 3's suck outloud, the worst boot ever made. Get the new AZT's if your going with that line of boots.

2nd I can't stress this enough, no boot is made for a position, its all advertising.

Also if your a sophmore and you think you boots will last until your sr. year your dreaming. Practice everyday during the season, two games a week and then club soccer on top of that, will give you a year, at best.

Tell your parents not to be cheap, and that they will spend more on gas in 6 months than it will cost to get a new pair of boots for your next 3 high school seasons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.