Best opponent for Ajax in quarter final?

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Oscar, Mar 20, 2003.

1. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Club:
    Real Madrid
    Spain
    It's between:

Manchester United
    Barcelona
    AC Milan

I think they have the best chances of getting through against Manchester. English teams suit the Dutch clubs better, and in my opinion the offensive players of the other 2 teams are more dangerous than the ones Manchester has.

Which is why I'd rather see Madrid draw Manchester :D but meh....

Hopefully Ajax can do what everyone thought impossible for years, and as a Dutch club make a serious run at winning the CL...because if Madrid can't take it, I'd rather have the Amsterdammers win it than those other teams.

2. AFCA

AFCA Member

Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Iran
    Agreed, although Manchester are a different story than Arsenal IMO. But still, like you said... Dutch teams cope better with English teams in general, although Italian teams are usually doable too.

I wouldn't mind another trip to the beautiful San Siro as well :D
  3. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Yeah you can cope much better...

PSV 0 -4 Arsenal
    Arsenal 0 - 0 PSV

Vittesse 0 - 1 liverpool
    liverpool 1 - 0 vittesse

newcastle 0 - 2 feyenoord
    feyenoord 2 - 3 newcastle

arsenal 1 - 1 ajax
    ajax 0 - 0 arsenal

Your record against us is pitiful..
    Keep up the good work..
    If that is your idea of an opponent who suits you better i'd hate to see your record against teams who dont suit you..
    lmao
  4. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Club:
    Real Madrid
    Spain
    Vitesse are a team fighting for relegation in the Eredivisie, you think you think you're proving something by showing Liverpool's barely wins against them? Both those matches could have easily been 1-1. Good job. :D

Ajax would have gone through with those results against Arsenal if that was the quarterfinal...so?

Feyenoord were in a slump back then, and they still almost got to the 2nd round of the CL. Want to see the injury list Feyenoord had for that 2nd game against Newcastle? Again, if that was a quarterfinal, Feyenoord would have gotten through instead of Newcastle.

And PSV suck, everybody knows that. They've got Koreans playing for them for God's sake. :D

5. sinner78

PSV are runaway leaders of the Dutch league last time I checked..
    losing 4 - 0 at home to an opponent doesnt suggest that they are better suited to playing that team.

when liverpool played vitesse they hadnt won a game for about 2 months...
    They played poor and still won..

Feyenoord have got a long running crap record against english clubs...man u ,chelsea and now newcastle have had some big wins against them..

I watched both ajax vs arsenal games and ajax seemed to be playing with 10 men behind the ball .
    they came to stiffle arsenal and they got 2 draws..
    The number of ajax goal attempts could be counted on one hand..They did their job and got what they wanted..arse only have themselves to blame for their failiure to qualify..
  6. AFCA

AFCA Member

Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Iran
    Yeah, you go ahead an lyao.

1. PSV in their current form would probably take Arsenal out in a knock out format.
    2. Vitesse are piss-poor all season and are very close to the relegation zone.
    3. 2-3 and 0-2 is in feyenoord's advantage. What big win are you talking about?
    4. Arsenal - Ajax 10 men behind the ball? Maybe the last 20 minutes.
  7. sinner78

Its all guesswork to claim that PSV would beat arsenal at the moment..

Unfortunately aggregate scores dont mean anything in the champions league..its a league played over 6 games and the teams with most points go through..

Ajax man marked every outfield arsenal player on the pitch.. They got their points and got through..

The overall record is
    played 8
    won 1
    draw 3
    lost 4

Good luck to ajax in the next round....
    I just dont agree that dutch clubs are better suited to playing us...
    thats all im saying..
  8. AFCA

AFCA Member

Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Iran
    Funny, because there isn't a single Dutchman that doesn't agree.
  9. sinner78

the scorelines say it all really...
    If you look at the record between the two leagues you'll see that its totally one-sided in our favour..
    1 win in 8 (this season)and you claim that you're suited to playing us?? get real.
    it would've been worse if arsenal hadnt played a reserve team against PSV in the last game .
  10. AFCA

AFCA Member

Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Iran
    So the scores of one season (including Vitesse that's on it's way to Dutch first Division) say it all. General football wisdom, earlier results... means nothing. Okay.

We better play Milan then. Whatever you want sinner.
  11. sinner78

We didnt get 4 champions league slots by accident.
    we get teams in finals ,semi-finals,..every year.
    This year is the first year a dutch side has reached the last 8 of the champions league for quite a while.
    how did ajax do in europe for the last few years??
    didnt they get knocked out by Ghent in the uefa cup last year???
  12. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Club:
    Real Madrid
    Spain
    I don't see how it doesn't have any relevance in this little discussion we're having now though, we're talking about results between Dutch and English teams and about the quarterfinals...not how a Dutch team would do in a group with an Italian, English and eastern European team.

Both Ajax and Feyenoord would have gone through if those were quarterfinal match-ups, and if the only results mattered were the ones against the English teams.

Results from past few years:

CL 2002/2003
    Ajax - Arsenal 0-0
    Arsenal - Ajax 1-1
    Ajax

Newcastle - Feyenoord 0-2
    Feyenoord - Newcastle 2-3
    Feyenoord

PSV - Arsenal 0-4
    Arsenal - PSV 0-0
    Arsenal

UEFA Cup 2002/2003:
    Vitesse - Liverpool 0-1
    Liverpool - Vitesse 1-0
    Liverpool

UEFA Cup 2001/2002:
    PSV - Leeds 0-0
    Leeds - PSV 0-1
    PSV

CL 2000/2001:
    PSV - Manchester United 3-1
    Manchester United - PSV 3-1
    tie

CL 1998/1999:
    Chelsea - Feyenoord 3-1
    Feyenoord - Chelsea 1-3
    Chelsea

Considering the big gap in $$$ between Dutch teams and English teams I would consider this record in the last few years more than great.

Strange that you would even try to compare the overall English European records of the last few years ("we get teams in finals ,semi-finals") against that of the Dutch, because I don't think it could have escaped you that with the changes in European football in the last few years, teams with more money to spend (English clubs) have an even greater advantage than before against those that don't (Dutch clubs)

Why not try to compare the EPL CL results of the last few years to a league which is in the same range when it comes to moolah? Like Spain? :D (good job with getting 1 team in the quarters by the way)
  13. AFCA

AFCA Member

Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Iran
    No, by the mighty Lausanne Sports. Last time a Dutch side reached the final 8 we were second (7 years ago). The year before that we won it.

If PSV, feyenoord and Ajax had the cash that English clubs have I think we'd do a lot better than the English clubs have been doing. Don't flatter yourself. English football is pretty good, but so is the cash that enables it.
  14. astabooty

astabooty Member

Club:
    FC Barcelona
    United States
    i think the best chance will be agaisnt Man U or Barcelona.
    With Barca, i realize their current CL record, but really, who have they beaten?
    a very crappy neverkusen team who didn't even try to win, a newcastle team that i thought was pretty poor, an injury (and suspended) filled inter, a decent (actually crappy) lokomotiv moskow, an underachieving galatasaray, and club brugge.

not a very strong field at all.
    and imo inter isnt all that good. against ajax they had 2 pretty close games where ajax was hitten with a very large injury bug.
    i realize they have given ajax the only 2 losses of the champions league, but if you watched the games and knew the circumstances you would agree.

man u just doesnt seem that good to me. i do agree with english teams fitting the dutch style btw.
  15. astabooty

astabooty Member

Club:
    FC Barcelona
    United States
    btw even tho i am worried about these 3 teams i believe a healthy ajax that actually finishes it's chances has the potential to beat any team in the tourny and win the CL.
  16. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Club:
    DC United
    United States
  17. astabooty

astabooty Member

Club:
    FC Barcelona
    United States
    maybe since they have quite a few dutch players and a couple/few ex-ajax'ers.
    hmm...kluivert, f de boer. i really have no idea about overmars, reiziger, or cocu.
  18. ruudboy

ruudboy New Member

They're from Ajax too.
  19. astabooty

astabooty Member

Club:
    FC Barcelona
    United States
    thanks for clearing that up, im too lazy to go check.
  20. afgrijselijkheid

afgrijselijkheid Member+

Club:
    AFC Ajax
    or maybe because hes a barca legend, having won the european cup with them in '92 - IIRC on his free kick

i think AJAX match up well with man u (actually beat them in the fall) - really the only one i fear facing right now is real - milan is shy of form - man u & inter are beset with injuries - barca, well, they are uninspiring this year - juve could be troublesome though with their style of play

in the end it matters not - just draw em up and blow the whistle GO AJAX
  21. AFCA

AFCA Member

Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Iran
    I wouldn't go as far as stating that we'll beat Man utd :D

But Barcelona is fine too.
  22. Mario

Mario New Member

Fifteen minutes to know if my beloved blaugrana side will face Koeman's Ajax!!! (actually Im awake at 5 17 am just to know that!!!)
  23. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Club:
    Real Madrid
    Spain
  24. AFCA

AFCA Member

Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Iran
    Ajax - Milan.

Well...

positive:

- exciting match
    - another trip to the magnificent San Siro

negative:

- very tough match
    - Another trip to boring Milan
  25. ruudboy

ruudboy New Member

My bad Astaboot, Cocu is from PSV and Vitese, didn't mean to associate him with Ajax.

This gonna be a good match up, all around, for all the teams, no crap teams or crap match ups.