Biggest Fanbase In Germany

Discussion in 'Germany' started by keller, Dec 30, 2004.

1. keller

keller New Member

We all know the three biggest supported clubs in Germany are FC Bayern, Borussia Dortmund and Schalke, just wondering who the next three would be?
    Surely Gladbach would be in there somewhere?

2. jonam

jonam Member

A question that comes up every now and then but still difficult to answer to.

IMHO (and someone but PileD may correct me) Gladbach could be No.4 as they have a huge fanbase especially among elder supporters. Then it could be Werder, Hamburg.
  3. DanielHSV

DanielHSV New Member

I'd say Cologne is pretty big, too. Not to sure about Werder, though.
  4. LordR

LordR Member

Cologne, Bremen, Hamburg, Gladbach, Stuttgart are nearly equal I think.

5. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Bhutan
    Not that i can back this up, but i would guess that Bremen and Stuttgart are a bit behind those other teams in terms of fan base.
  6. Potong Jalan

Potong Jalan New Member

How about Hansa Rostock -- The only former East Germany team in Bundesliga?
  7. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Bhutan
    I guess there are up there with Bremen and Stuttgart.
  8. Ricky_DCU

Ricky_DCU New Member

Any guesses as to the size of the TSV 1860 Munich fanbase? In recent years in the Bundesliga they averaged mid to upper 20k crowds, but in past seasons they've averaged as much as 35k. Their average so far this season in the second Bundesliga is in the upper teens.
  9. Grizzly

Grizzly Member

The 1860 and Bayern situation could be compared to that in Manchester. 1860 has at least as much support within Munich as Bayern does but not that much in the rest of the country other than expatriate Bavarians. Bayern also takes has a fair bit of support within Bavaria as a whole and the Munich suburbs while 1860's support is focused within Munich itself. Within Munich many of the people attending Bayern games are soft fans or success fans who would go to see 1860 if they were the more successful side whereas most of the fans at an 1860 game are hardcore fans. Many Munich residents don't consider you a true Munchener if you support Bayern. Bayern really has an amazing amount of support throughout the country with a fair bit of it hardcore although a high percentage is also the success fans. The 1860 fans are a lot more likeable than the Bayern ones even to the supporters of the north German clubs who don't particularly like Bavarians. This is because they have a real fan culture, tradition and identity unlike the rather bland Bayern supporters. 1860 also has a lot of away support and probably the drunkest away support. I once attended an 1860 away game at Bochum where I happened to be for a weekend. I was not a supporter of either team but I couldn't imagine myself or anyone else not actually from Bochum supporting them so I thought the 1860 block would have to be more fun. It definitely was. I was even surprised to find supporters of my own team Sachsen Leipzig there in our colours singing our songs. They were workers from the east with basically the same idea that it was more interesting to stand with the 1860 fans than with boring Bochum. There were probably about 2 to 3 thousand 1860 fans who made the overnight trip to Bochum and they were all very drunk and rowdy though not in a hooligan sort of way. Listening to their songs one would have thought they were actually playing Bayern and not Bochum because most of the time they sang anti-Bayern songs. Afterwards I went out drinking with some of the fans and had a great time.
  10. Ricky_DCU

Ricky_DCU New Member

Cool, thanks for the post! My brother lives in Munich, I'll have to make it to an 1860 match sometime- I'd love to seem them in the Grunwalderstadion before they move to the Allianz Arena.
  11. Matschr

Matschr New Member

You can't say Bayern has not a fan culture. They are older than most of the other Bundesliga-Teams. Each top-team has success fans, but there are also a lot of true Bayern-fans. I'm also not from Bavaria, but i have been Bayern-Fan already when I didn't know they are so good.
  12. Grizzly

Grizzly Member

Bayern as a club does have a long tradition and a good history. Even during the Nazi era it was a team that did not have early links to the party, kept its Jewish players and members as long as it could and along with Rapid was considered a Jew club and thus the main rival to the Nazi supported clubs of Nurnberg and Schalke. The problem with Bayern now is that for many years they have been a big money corporate club and this long tradition and fan culture has been weakened and commercialized. They are a well run club despite their money and I respect them for this but their fans whether at home or on the road are among the most boring in all of Germany. I would rather go to a 2nd division 1860 match with 20 000 drunk and singing fans than see Bayern in Champion's League with 60 000 dull, quiet fans and I am not a supporter of either club. The soccer would not be as good but it would be a lot more fun. I won't claim that they don't have any hardcore fans but it is a much smaller percentage than most clubs and they have a much higher percentage of corporate types than most clubs. The lack of atmosphere in Olympic stadium is known throughout Germany and you can only blame so much of that on the stadium itself.
  13. jonam

jonam Member

Grizzly:

2 top quality posting...rep is on the way. ;-)

Just my two cents....

Despite you having many valid points I disagree that Bayern has a relatively small percentage of hardcore fans. They have (besides those masses of bandwagoners) maybe the biggest "Allesfahrer" fraction in Bundesliga. Of course they are overshadowed by those mentioned masses. ;-)

1860 away support isn't that great anymore. Even last season it wasn't anywhere near being impressive.

(You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.)
  14. Matschr

Matschr New Member

You didn't see any CL-game of Bayern did you? There we have one of the best fans. And Jonam is right, the 1860-Fans arn't this what they was anymore. For the noise in the stadium: wait until we will play in the Allianz Arena. There for sure will be a better atmosphere.
  15. jonam

jonam Member

Ehhhh......Bayern's CL games belong to the most boring events in Germany (and I am not just talking of football). There is an active section but 98% of the spectators are quite for 90% of the match.
  16. Grizzly

Grizzly Member

I'll leave you Bayern guys alone for the moment :D Actually I don't have anything against Bayern other than they are a money club whose fans are not the most exciting in the league. Plus the fact Hargreaves is a schmuck who doesn't want to play for his country and Bayern apparently encouraged him not to play for his country and now he doesn't want to play for Bayern either.

My new topic is: there is the most numerous fanbase in Germany overall but also the most numerous fanbase per capita. I think Aue must be considered one of the biggest fanbases in Germany when one considers they come from a city with a population of only slightly over 20 000 and draw from the even smaller cities in the region. Even though they are not the most friendly club to the team I support I have to give them credit for getting support and loud and enthusiastic support for their club that many cities 10 times larger don't get. Respect for Aue.
  17. F96

F96 Member

Club:
    Hannover 96
    I have to admit, before Aue got promoted to 2nd Bundesliga I didn't even know them and I really was suprised by their attendacne numbers.

They also have a really crappy stadium with a running track and still many people attend the games.

I'm one of the few peple who really like the purple.

[​IMG]
  18. keller

keller New Member

Yeah i'll have to agree about Aue, respect to them. An average home gate of 12,384 shows that there must be a love of football in the area. It seems even more remarkable when you see that big city clubs like Rot-WeiB Essen (13,933) and Eintracht Frankfurt (19,544) average home gate isn't that much bigger!.

Apologies for using a B in Essen's name, being english and an english keyboard i don't have the right keys LOL!!
  19. DanielHSV

DanielHSV New Member

No problem ;)
    But you could replace all "ß" with "ss".
  20. keller

keller New Member

Yes i could, but i wanted to seem more knowing!! LOL
  21. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Bhutan
    Hold Alt and then press 225 on your numeric keypad to get the "ß".

They have a cool history too. I think i wrote something on this in then random soccer thoughts thread.
  22. keller

keller New Member

Rot-Weiß Essen. There thats better!, Cheers Alex K
  23. keller

keller New Member

Back to the topic on the atmosphere at Bayern games. Can remember in '93, my small insignificant english club Norwich City were drawn against Bayern in the U.E.F.A. cup. My first thought was "we are going to get hammered". Not only were the english press not giving us a hope in hell, but the munich press were either making jokes about where on earth Norwich was or dismissing us as some small insignificant club.I had a great time in munich before the game, the people were very friendly. When we got to the stadium it was half empty and the atmosphere was non existent. Me and my friends couldn't believe a club with its history and success could be so quiet (Liverpool are the same!). Needless to say 4,000 to 5,000 Norwich fans were the only things you heard in the stadium all night.

Oh and the final score.......

Bayern Munich 1 Norwich City 2

first english club to win in the olympic stadium!!!!

Though to be fare to Bayern, the reason the stadium was half full was probably due to the fact they were playing a small club like Norwich.

Also to be fare to Bayern, when we played Internazionale in the next round, they were just as quiet, though the milanese weren't as welcoming as the people of munich. Lets just say that a few fights occured with the more "fighting orientated" fans of both clubs!!
  24. PileD

PileD New Member

Not correcting, but it`s Gladbach, Bremen and Cologne they on the next places at professional soccer.
    But they change often, HSV is a bank and Hertha too at the moment.
  25. hoop

hoop New Member

Cologne or Koln have the most impressive attendances