breaking in new cleats

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by SoccerLynz5, Jun 7, 2007.

1. SoccerLynz5

SoccerLynz5 New Member

how do u break in new kangaroo leather cleats?

i've heard that u should take a shower in them, is that true?:confused:

2. actusreus13

actusreus13 New Member

Just wear them. Play a few games and they should nicely mould to your foot. If for some reason they're too uncomfortable to play in, you can try wearing them and walking around in them at home and stuffing them at night. There's no miraculous way of breaking-in cleats and taking a shower in them might "break" them, and not break them in.
  3. Skizz

Skizz New Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    --other--
    Would you break in a pair of smart shoes by taking a shower in them?

Newbies really do answer their own questions sometimes.
  4. vanity_soccer13

vanity_soccer13 Member

I like to put icy hot on my feet, and then put my boots on. it really works well with the leather.

5. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    Manchester United FC
    England
    You'll probably only need to wear them to practice once to break them in. Kangaroo leather is so soft. Or like you said, just wear them around the house. By getting in the shower with them, you are a risk of over stretching them and drying the leather out because of how wet they will be getting.

Personally i wouldnt risk it.

appleCORR
  6. Centrocampista10

Centrocampista10 Member

What a load of bull. The old shower trick always works and hasn't hurt any of my football boots so far. And this is coming from someone with narrow feet. I always make sure my boots don't dry out, because that's when you're in trouble.

Trust me, boots can stand water.
  7. actusreus13

actusreus13 New Member

I remember a few months back a post from someone who took a pair of Nike boots for a shower ride and ended up with a separated sole. Why risk, even if remotely, any damage?
  8. Skizz

Skizz New Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    --other--
    *BING*

Perhaps Centro we should write to Nike, adidas and co and see if they recommend showering with your boots on to make them wearable? Surprising that if it works so well and there are no risks that they haven't already put this recommendation in with every pair of boots they make.

It CAN cause the glue to come undone. It CAN cause the sole of the boot to warp. It CAN cause the leather to dry out quicker than usual. It CAN cause uneven shrinkage. But then again it CAN work. For me personally, I wouldn't risk everything listed there on an expensive pair of boots when I can wear them in just as quick by doing what is described - WEARING THEM IN. It's not called "showering with them in" is it :p
  9. appleCORR7

Club:
    Manchester United FC
    England
    I think that 12 against 2 kinda says how many ppl think its a good idea. Personally i hated it when my world cups got soaked they really over stretched.

Plus im pretty sure that kid who wrecked his vapors in the shower would of had troubles getting nike to exchanged them if he was honest about what he'd done.

appleCORR
  10. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    United States
    I wore my Preds in my house a lot then took em out to 2 practice sessions and they broke in...
  11. Skizz

Skizz New Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    --other--
    Exactly. An exchange is done on the basis of honesty about what happened. If it's a genuine fault, they exchange it. If Jonny Whoever says "I wore my boots in the shower wearing them in and now they're f*cked", Nike will post them back first class with a note saying "get boots that fit properly next time".
  12. Pkauffma

Pkauffma Member

thats why you get them wet and wear them around the house. don't shower in warmer water with them, thats stupid. Just splash some water inside them and then wear them around for about 20 minutes.

don't shower in them, especially when you slip and smash the back of your head in on the show spicket, that would really be a dumb thing to do.
  13. kumazou

kumazou Member

None of my boots that I've bought in the last few years have really needed a break in period. After wearing them once or twice they felt really good. The only exception were the Nomis boots I ordered without ever trying them on. They were a 1/2 size too small so I had to stretch them out.

I think if you are having trouble breaking in a boot then you have the wrong size or that boot just wasn't made for your foot.
  14. Centrocampista10

Centrocampista10 Member

The thing is, making them wet actually tightens the leather to your feet if you're wearing them, which wearing them in doesn't do. The shower just gives you a closer fit. That said, I have never had any problems with wearing K leather boots in. It depends on the leather really. But I know for a fact it definitely works with the Umbro Speciali, Copa Mundial and Predator Mania.
  15. Centrocampista10

Centrocampista10 Member

Honestly, a shower is no different than a bit of rain. Even soaking them is okay, the guy probably left them in water for an hour or so. If your boots break because of a shower, there was something wrong with them to begin with.
  16. Skizz

Skizz New Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    --other--
    You're right, it does depend on the leather. It won't work for synthetic boots (obviously) and certain leather boots, and until we sort of draw up a list of what boots it has worked on and what boots it hasn't, I personally wouldn't comment on the issue. I haven't tried the trick myself anyway, but ultimately as it is with anything in life it's up to the individual to decide what's best.
  17. larciel

larciel New Member

I, too, have struggled with the idea of putting those in shower, or just wearing them. I think the most effective and right way to see which one would be better is to get two pair of exact shoes, try one by wearing them, and other by showering with the shoes on.

I'm thinking of trying it with Copa Mundials after I get some bonus from work.
    Although I think Copas will mold very nicely anyways without shower, considering its excellent quality leather, I can't think of other cleats that is worth spending double the money to get. :D
  18. bronxjragon

bronxjragon New Member

shower worked for my preds.

if you're worried bout getting blisters while breaking them in, just rub some vaseline on your hell before you go break em in.
  19. themaestro

themaestro Member

I wore my Vapors in small sessions and gobbed on Vasoline :D while my feet got adjusted. Had some blisters, but nothing too bad, now they feel nice. Just keep wearing them at first for short periods then you get used to them. Hard to even go train with them straight away, need to just wear them around the house or in your yard, etc.
  20. AHCL20

AHCL20 Member

I never had to 'break' into my boots.

The simple truth is that I wouldn't buy a pair of boots if it didn't fit my feet well to begin with.

The most I had (and would) do is wear the boots around the house.
  21. appleCORR7

Club:
    Manchester United FC
    England
    See, I've never even worn my boots around the house. I've just gone out and played in them, i think thats the best way. Let the ball soften them up!

appleCORR
  22. Djtron75

Djtron75 New Member

I currently wear the puma v3.06's, and they're synthetic. The first practice that I wore them to it happened to be raining and they broke in wonderfully in a day.