1. Save 40-80% on great soccer jerseys. Shop today at BigSoccer Shop!

News: Chipotle League And Team Sponsor

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by JasonMa, Mar 3, 2014.

Moderators: 22SteveD, prk166
  1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Being a local company that was rumored at one point to be a possible jersey sponsor I thought this might be of interest to Rapids fans:

COMtnGuy repped this.

2. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Really like the concept of the Home Grown all-star game, although not sure there are enough in MLS to fill 2 teams, wonder if they will play a Euro U-23 side or something.

3. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    United States
    We can't get a local company like that to sign a shirt sponsor deal...but that same company is willing to splash and even larger amount of money on a league wide deal? I find that mildly irritating actually.

The Rapids shirt sponsorship situation is like watching that fat neckbeard wearing a fedora and an Adventure Time shirt, that only wants to date a supermodels, but can't figure out why no hot women are attracted to him.

4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    United States
    I found it more interesting that they went with Omar Gonzalez as the spoke-person instead of Shane O'Neill, considering he's a Denver (Boulder) local for Chipotle.

(I know, Omar is a Nat and O'Neill isn't yet, but still)

5. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

I know Chipotle isn't really authentic Mexican, and I hate suggesting that this is the case, but...

Going solely by the bolded, who is more likely to be the spokesperson for a pseudo-Mexican fast food chain?

COMtnGuy and JasonMa repped this.
  6. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dillon Powers would also be a good choice, though he is neither home grown nor does he have obvious Mexican heritage. Powers's twitter page:

JasonMa repped this.
  7. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

Ok, so Chipotle signs a nation wide deal and we can't figure out why they choose as a spokesperson the premiere defender and a national team member with a Hispanic surname on maybe the most marque team in MLS in a huge Hispanic market, over a a couple of Rapids.

Really?

GoRapids repped this.
  8. Totoro

Totoro Member+

The GreatGonzo figured it out.

9. Totoro

Totoro Member+

I hope the Rapids got a finders fee or something. They must have started the process by asking about the shirt sponsor.

10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    United States
    You mean other than when I said this?

I'll admit I wasn't considering the ethnic angle between the Irishman and the Mexican though.

11. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

sigh, whatever Jason - "but still", :rolleyes:

12. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Does this deal mean we will have Chipotle as food option? Or just we and other teams will see their signs in stadium?

JasonMa repped this.
  13. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member

Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    MLS is a much bigger market? Advertising on Rapids jerseys is paltry in comparison. National company seeking national attn.

14. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    United States
    It didn't seem to stop Barbasol from sponsoring Columbus. Or Microsoft from making Xbox both a shirt sponsor and a league partner.

15. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Here is a good illustration of why my analogy of a socially retarded and unhygienic manchild with unrealistic dating exceptions is a very good analogy.

Tim Hinchey has said that they are looking for a shirt sponsor that fits their image and is willing to pay the league wide average of $2 million. Lets also bear in mind that the minimum is $800,000.

http://fanpagelist.com/category/sports-teams/mls/

The Rapids are dead last in both Facebook and Twitter followers out all of the 19 teams currently in MLS. Thats a red flag for most people that they have pretty poor brand awareness, particularly in the younger demographics. I don't doubt that this would scare a number of companies away from throwing money at the team.

It also helps to explain why people in Denver still give you blank stares when you mention the Rapids and they have no idea what the hell you're talking about. "Who are the Colorado Rabbits?" It also explains why season ticket numbers are so dismal compared to the rest of the league.

...and this, ladies and gentlemen, is why you can't have nice things.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
    MrPerfectNot, Rod1916, JasonMa and 2 others repped this.
  16. Totoro

Totoro Member+

I hope so. At least the Rapids are a partner club. Looks like 7 clubs are not.

Chipotle has a website for this. If you go here, I think: http://www.chipotlehomegrown.com/#team you'll see a pic of the Rapids: looks like O'Neill, Brown, Powers, and Mullan. If you scroll to the bottom of the page, you see a list of "partner clubs," and the Rapids logo is included.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  17. Totoro

Totoro Member+

18. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member

Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Haha. That was more or less my previous point. "Paltry" ...

19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Oh, I thought it was because local bloggers weren't supportive enough of the FO. :D

22SteveD and Dom. FC repped this.
  20. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

And dysfunctionally vice versa.

21. Barry Off Eastenders

Barry Off Eastenders Member

Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Asleep at the wheel...

22. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Word is - the National deal is less then a shirt deal. I'm pretty sure that's what I heard - sometimes I don't pay attention enough.

jayd8888 and JasonMa repped this.
  23. COYP

COYP Member

Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    United States
    I don't know the terms of the deal but if that is true it really doesn't make much sense and would seem to hurt teams like the Rapids. I'm willing to bet the Chipotle deal with MLS will get much more exposure than if they sponsored the Rapids. If MLS is putting a minimum on jersey sponsorship for teams and allowing other companies a foot in the door for more exposure and less cost it seems like a no brainer for companies to go that route.

24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Based on what Hinchey has said in the past, the shirt sponsorship the Rapids are looking for (note, not the minimum) is as much annually as Chipotle spends on this type of marketing for the whole company.

Now the Rapids are asking for the league average, about $2.5 million a year. The league minimum is $500K a year for a jersey sponsorship. I can easily see how this deal with MLS might be between those two numbers.

25. COYP

COYP Member

Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    United States
    Maybe. But again do you think Chipotle would get more exposure for 500K with an MLS deal or 2.5 Million for a Rapids jersey sponsorship. The bottom line is MLS offers more exposure regardless of what the Rapids are asking. What exposure can the Rapids really offer? Chipotle is better off going that route regardless of money. In a single entity league MLS needs to help the teams that can't get a sponsor not undermine those opportunities. That is the logic behind single entity for players and it should be similar for teams and sponsorships.

Moderators: 22SteveD, prk166