Coaching search catch-all

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by JasonMa, Jan 4, 2014.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Just to close the loop on my comments from earlier I just had a discussion with David Lindholm (who was CCed on the email to me from Hinchey). He did his best to dig out of the hole Hinchey created with the email and made me fell that as an organization that's not how he wanted to see that handled. Essentially he did his best to separate how he would have handled a response from Hinchey's personal response to my blog post while acknowledging that it was an impossible task to completely do.

I'm still not thrilled with what happened but I do think that there are cooler heads in the FO. In particular, after having repeated run-ins like this with his predecessor David Lindholm has done a great job being a liaison point for me (and presumably other media) in dealing with the team. For now I'm going to try to not let Hinchey's blunder reflect on the rest of the organization but his has greatly influenced my opinion of him (which, admittedly, wasn't the best to begin with).

2. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    United States
    This may be a shock to you, but the concept of a "club legend" is not a one-size-fits-all. We can arbitrarily use similar arguments to discredit any American player from having any kind of "legend" status. We can also do the same for pretty much every player in history save for about three or four people. How far do you really want to stretch this?
    Soaker888 and JasonMa repped this.
  3. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

I finally read the supposedly offensive blog post (busy guy, also missed the live stream with Pablo coaching in his second 2 - 1 loss) ... I didn't see anything offensive at all, intuitive points, factual information, and a little conjecture were what I saw, in other words a blog post. If someone has a thin enough skin that that bothered him it probably says more about him than it does the blog -- and heaven help him if he ever ventures onto a hard core politics board. ;>)
    COMtnGuy and JasonMa repped this.
  4. Bridgeman

Bridgeman Member

Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    United States
    I read your blog post and it's basically you writing what everyone is thinking. All legitimate questions and speculation since the Rapids are less than forthcoming. I don't see anything wrong with it. Hinchey getting defensive tells one all you need to know about the front office. Instead of getting pissed they should be honest and upfront with the fans. I just don't understand the way they operate.
    COMtnGuy and JasonMa repped this.

5. Buffbollocks

Buffbollocks Member

Allow me to be the friendly voice on the other side of the debate. Below is Hinchey's initial response:

"Jason,

Perhaps it might be worth your energy to at some point actually investigate your “concerns or claims” with our club prior to your blogging. Or perhaps not, clearly you’re call. Every “fan” has their right to criticize their home club even if completely unsubstantiated or inaccurate.

However, we are not “killing time” on our coach search nor do you have any clue how to run a professional sports organization and any such complications when hire a head coach. Therefore, if you value actually learning more, give me call as like I did with SI last week, I’m happy to fully and honestly explain our efforts. If not, I find your blog completely ridiculous and nothing more than your own personal venting tool.

Respectfully,

Tim"

Now, was he perhaps a bit over-the-top? Yes. However no more over-the-top than suggesting experienced professional sports management guys are "killing" time in a hiring process on which said sports management guys' livelihood depends. I have no problem with Tim reaching out to confront a public blog post that he feels is factually inaccurate. It should also be noted that Jason declined Tim's offer to speak or meet directly to explain the FO's process for vetting and hiring a new coach on the grounds that so doing would somehow make Jason a "reporter" which is about as asinine of an argument as I've heard in at least an hour, and I argue for a living. What passionate fan who wants nothing more than to see the Rapids win the Cup, Shield, RMC...etc. (Jason's words, paraphrased) wouldn't welcome the opportunity to speak with the PRESIDENT of the very club he supports to gain more insight into how things work and criteria being used to make decisions? It's intellectually dishonest, and, I'm afraid, validates Tim's point about the blog not really being anything more than a personal venting tool.

Could Tim have chosen different words, yes. Is he wrong - I don't think so. I think the points made in the SI article are validated by what I've seen first-hand as an "insider" (hate that term) who doesn't work for the club and comes at it having worked in a variety of businesses. The structure is in place and they are taking their time selecting a manager that will enhance that structure and commit to the club's stated way of doing things on the field and in training.
    jayd8888 repped this.
  6. Jimmydinho

Jimmydinho Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    let me go get some popcorn, this should be good.
    Soaker888, tonhtubra and GoRapids repped this.
  7. fischerw

fischerw Member

Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    United States
    [​IMG]

EDIT: Jimmydinho beat me to it by a matter of seconds!
    keller4president, Soaker888 and GoRapids repped this.
  8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Oh OK, I was trying to be respectful but apparently that's out the window. Here we go:

My original blog post:
    Tim's unsolicited response sent to me via email yesterday:
    My response to him, sent just 90 minutes ago, which apparently @Buffbollocks has already seen:
    His response to me, sent an hour ago:
    There, that's all the facts of this story.
  9. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    United States
    The pot calling the kettle black.

That e-mail reminds me of one's I've written when I am angry/upset about something. Difference is I usually wait until the next day when I've calmed down to decide whether or not to send it. Almost always I decide not to send it. I can't beleive this guy is president of professional soccer team.

I'm almost to the point with Hinchey that I was near the end of Clavijo's reign. I just couldn't watch, read about, or pay attention to the Rapids until he was gone. I know Hinchey likes hashtags, so here is an idea for one #HincheyOut.

Edit: Does Hinchey not realize that it does him no good to fight with bloggers and fans? Obama, regardless of what you think you him, does not debate Rush Limbaugh b/c he is the President and Limbaugh is just a talk show host. They aren't really on the same level.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
    Baysider, edwardgr, COMtnGuy and 2 others repped this.
  10. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Is the bolg somehow supposed to be anything more? different? not 100% Jason's call?
  11. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    United States
    To be honest, both Jason and Tim are being kinda blowhardy here.
    jimijam28, SoccaJ, Rod1916 and 3 others repped this.
  12. COYP

COYP Member

Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    United States
    Is Tim willing to start answering some questions on the record? Is he willing to give someone independent access to the team? Hell, if so I'll become a reporter.

I don't want individual meetings with the club PRESIDENT. I'd like an end to the dishonest info.
    COMtnGuy repped this.
  13. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    United States
    I don't disagree, but Hinchey is the president of the club. He should just ignore blogs and focus on making his team successful. Fighting with bloggers is a no-win situation.
    COMtnGuy and jayd8888 repped this.
  14. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

The thing is Jason can as a fanboy, and Tim shouldn't as the team puba or whatever his title is.
    UxSxAxfooty, railwaystand and JasonMa repped this.
  15. Buffbollocks

Buffbollocks Member

Jason entitled to write his blog. Doing so without all the facts makes it less of a blog. Assuming to speak for "the fans" makes it self-aggrandized. I pulled the traffic numbers.

Tim's personal attacks, not called for. Tim citing numerous empirical metrics (sponsorship, tickets, first DP) to validate that he at least in part knows what he's doing, spot on. Shirt sponsor on him, but I have a hunch you all will be pleasantly surprised in near future.

My orientation is to defer to the people who actually are doing the job - Tim was one of few Americans ever to run large clubs in England. Say what you will, but that's more than any of us can say.

Not getting into a big back and forth - I actually like Jason's blog - he just disappointed me in this instance and his reluctance to engage Tim meaningfully in a conversation face to face discredits him in my eyes.
    DavidJames repped this.
  16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Agreed, but as a fan I'm allowed to. And I was respectful enough not to share his emails, something he didn't return the favor on, despite claiming he was contacting me publicly so as not to embarrass me.
  17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Oh, and I don't claim to be THE voice of the fans, just A voice of the fans. The discussions about the Rapids "killing time" and if players would feel lied to came directly from conversations on this forum, not out of my own mind.
  18. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

This is too fun!!!

Buffbullocks - who are you? Did you write Tim to ask about this situation?
    jayd8888 repped this.
  19. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Tim should be above the fray in regards to (what he views) as negative/critical comments. He's too hyper-sensitive to that kind of stuff and really just needs to let it slide. I, however, am not ready to discredit his skills as manager just because he's gotten into a spat with a fan.

Jason who is entitled to express himself how ever he wants, is being a bit of a dick here. Anytime a person in the FO has offered to personally give me information, I gladly listen. You're welcome to turn down info, but I'm sorry, declining on the excuse of "I'm not a reporter" is fv<king stupid. Just "being a fan" doesn't give you a free pass for an excuse that lame.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  20. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    United States
    That is stretching the truth. From Hinchey's LinkedIn:
    Big difference between running a club and being in charge of commercial activities.
    railwaystand, COMtnGuy and JasonMa repped this.
  21. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    United States
    I don't think I need to tell you about all the SNAFU's that Hinchey has been involved in during his tenure in Colorado.
    COMtnGuy repped this.
  22. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Its sad that THIS discussion pollutes an already vastly negative situation reflected in this thread. No coach yet but there's plenty of time to tangle with our most ardent fans.
    15 to 32 repped this.
  23. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Much like I don't think I need to tell you about all the ways the club has improved under his watch either.

You take the good with the bad, people.
    Hunt998, jimijam28 and Buffbollocks repped this.
  24. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Hey, I'm just glad OP is gone.
    jimijam28, Matt117 and Quinn 33 repped this.
  25. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    United States
    I used to like Hinchey, but I'm growing tired of him. I do think he has done well on the business side of things and I get the impression that he has been a positive for working with C38 and trying to cultivate a good atmosphere in the stadium, but this other crap that is coming with it is getting annoying.
    Matt117 repped this.