1. Save 40-80% on great soccer jerseys. Shop today at BigSoccer Shop!

Dynamo @ Austin Aztex, 3/7/09

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by DonJuego, Jan 12, 2009.

1. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    United States
    AUSTIN AZTEX

Austin Aztex to debut against trio of MLS teams in exhibition series

STAFF REPORTS
    Monday, January 12, 2009

Major League Soccer will come to Austin for the first time next month, when the Austin Aztex opens a series of exhibition games against three MLS clubs.

During a two-week span starting in late February, the Aztex will face the New England Revolution, Houston Dynamo and Columbus Crew in matches at Nelson Field in Austin. The Aztex will officially announce the MLS exhibitions today.

"We wanted to bring in the best the MLS has to offer," said Aztex owner Phil Rawlins. "New England has been to the MLS Cup three of the last four seasons. Houston won it two years in a row (2006 and 2007), and Columbus is the reigning champion.

"We believe Austin fans deserve an opportunity to see top-level professional soccer."

The Aztex is preparing for its first season in the top division of the United Soccer League.

Austin will face New England at 7:30 p.m. on Feb. 28. A week later on March 7, the Aztex will play Houston. The third exhibition contest, against Columbus, will take place on March 14.

"Exhibitions are a great way to evaluate talent and since this will be our first-ever game action, I believe these games will allow us to really identify who will see considerable playing action in the upcoming season," said Aztex coach Adrian Heath.

Tickets for the exhibition games may be purchased online at www.austinaztex.com. Single-game seats cost $20 and $30.

Anyone purchasing Aztex season tickets before Feb. 23 will receive free admission to the three MLS exhibitions.

---------

You folks all come visit me here for once!

Yeah yeah, we all know the story is wrong about this being the first games by MLS in Austin. Foregive our Aztex for thinking the world started when they did. :p

2. .César.

.César. Member

Oh man, good for Austin and some more pre-season games!

3. anderson

anderson Member+

Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Thank you for posting the info.

I believe that's the Saturday after the Dynamo play in Cancun on 3/3 for the CCL. Not a bad week's worth of road trips. :D

4. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Man, I'll come back from Cancun on Friday and go to Austin on Saturday. Tough life.

5. Dynamogal

Dynamogal Member

Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Oh yes, road trip. I hope the weather's a little warmer than the pre-season games in San Antonio last year! :eek:

6. Art Vandaley

Art Vandaley Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Cool deal, wish I could make it. I hope it will be shown on that free USL internet feed.

7. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Not to put a little bit of a damper on the good feelings here, but $20-$30 for a preseason game seems a little steep to me. What were the prices last year in San Antonio?

8. Naranja Trooper

Naranja Trooper Member

Time to celebrate a MLS Preseason with our Naranja and hit 6th street, glad I have familia there...too f*ck'n awesome!

9. time_drifter

time_drifter Member

Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    United States
    20-30 does sound kind of steep. I don't think Dynamo even charged that much for their first preseason games. I'm sure their justification is that they're playing the best in the country for those games. At least it makes for an enjoyable road game close to home.

10. camicia arancione

camicia arancione Member

Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    United States
    They were really high in San Antonio. There was a thread on here where some of us were, um, wondering about the price, and one of the organizers came on to say it was worth it because there were 2 games each day or whatever. I'll try to find the thread, but I want to say the tix were $40+.

Edit-They were $35

11. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Our guys have won in College Station the first time we played there in '07 (jeez its been two years already) so winning in the State's capital Austin is up for grabs in '09.

Those ticket prices are a joke however.

12. time_drifter

time_drifter Member

Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    United States
    $40 for two games between MLS teams certainly is worth it, but $20-30 for one game for an expansion team at the USL-1 level is absurd, even if the competition is of MLS championship caliber. It's not a good way to get fans to come out in support of a new team, setting high prices for tickets for their first games.

13. SergentOrange

SergentOrange New Member

Color me there!!! Can not wait for this game. Is anyone car pooling by chance? If so give me a shout.

14. camicia arancione

camicia arancione Member

Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    United States
    I don't think it was "certainly" worth it. I can see the argument for it, but Dynamo playoff tickets a few months before could be bought at the gate for $14, so 2 playoff games between my favorite MLS team and other MLS teams were 20% less than 2 games at that preseason shindig in SA. That was my biggest problem with it, and why I ended up skipping it.

I'm actually a lot more likely to go to this one in Austin, because I probably won't have another chance to see the Dynamo play the Aztex anytime soon, and I don't think $20 is too bad. Certainly a bit high, but not as offensive to me as the San Antonio prices.

15. Dynamo Dave

Dynamo Dave New Member

Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    United States
    I am sure that as the date gets closer we will see a travel to Austin thread.
    I'd be up for chartering a bus for one game at least. I think one was chartered last year also, IIRC.,

16. MannieG

MannieG Member

Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Damn, a preseason friendly 2 days after Cancun? I'm not digging it, yo. Too much potential for injuries and burnout.
    Unless I'm mistaken, I remember the organizers having to slash the prices just before the TSF was going to take place. Hopefully something similar happens in ATX and they come to their senses. Aztex are out of their minds if they think watching them is worth $30.

17. Art Vandaley

Art Vandaley Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Agreed, think free kick masters as well. Unless the residents of Austin go crazy, the prices will come down or they will offer a good group rate.

18. bilzy

bilzy New Member

I'll check on group rates later today and post back after.

19. Dynamo Dave

Dynamo Dave New Member

Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    United States
    No worries Mannie, I am sure that there will be plenty of subs and Reservesstarting. For this, Dom will not put out his Prime time starters.:cool:

20. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Isn't it more like 4 days after they play in Cancún? But it's just one day after I get back, now that's where the serious injuries could happen. :eek:

21. cougarclaws

cougarclaws Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    United States
    im flying in and out of Austin for the Atlante game so I'll be there but Mannie is right. This hurts even more now that the reserves are gone. If tickets are $35 or $40 I'm going to 6th street or pulling the wobbly extra tall man in a trench coat trick.

22. Alejo

Alejo Member

Club:
    Austin Aztex
    United States
    buenos dias hombres naranja.

Good day Orange Men.

This is Alejo Loco one of the first, of hopefully many, soldier warriors of Chanticos Army ASG(Aztex Supporters Group). I just whanna say I am really looking forward to the match with you lads and I hope you bring a strong contingent and that the Dynamo bring their A-game cus for sure THE RAW will because they have everything to gain and nothing to loose from your visit. SO DALE AZTECAS AND SEE YOU IN MARCH. :D

23. Dynamogal

Dynamogal Member

Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    United States
    ...and Women! :p

24. Alejo

Alejo Member

Club:
    Austin Aztex
    United States
    sie

Buenos Dias Hermanas Naranja

25. MannieG

MannieG Member

Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Aw, that's so cute.
    Don't worry. By the end you'll just be calling us Papi.