1. Save 40-80% on great soccer jerseys. Shop today at BigSoccer Shop!

FA CUP THE Arsenal vs Sunderland 18 Sat

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by ArsenalTexan3, Feb 16, 2012.

Moderators: antifan, yossarian
  1. daedalus

daedalus Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    no disrespect to you but, ohmi********inggawdsinheaven, i hate that damn phrase. it gets thrown about way too damn much. you don't need and, in fact, can't have 18-25 "starting quality for arsenal" players because, really, how many "starting quality for arsenal" players (say, mr. suarez that you mentioned) will come to arsenal to sit on his ass behind van persie? will hazard be coming to sit behind gervinho and walcott? no? okay, he starts. will walcott renew his contract to sit on his ass behind gervinho and hazard? don't think so.

and we're not packing man city money where we can say, "well, you'll be collecting splinters on your ass but you'll make 225 a week? cool? cool."

we need people in the second team who can come in individually and, when mixed in with other first teamers, can still provide threats and not bring the level of play down overly horribly. we need more people like oxlade-chamberlain who, if he comes in to replace gervinho or walcott and is mixed in with other first teamers, does not bring the level of play down significantly (okay, we can argue that he brings it up if he replaces walcott). we need wenger to keep players fresher by bringing in rosicky for arteta or ramsey more frequently and before they are worn out (and, for the love of all that is good and holy, keep him in the middle instead of insisting on trying to shoehorn him into the winger spots). we need more of the certain types of players, say, an organizer in the back who can get the group playing as a unit when shit goes wrong (sagna-koscielny-vermaelen-gibbs are terrific in my opinion but, together, they play as 4 very good individual defenders where, with mertesacker in, they can play as a good defensive unit). we need more people (as scally touched on once awhile ago) who are just downright fucking offended to lose a game and will try to bring up the rest of the squad, van persie, vermaelen and song have a bit of that in them (i am not claiming that the rest of the professionals were not trying hard because you can clearly see that they were but there's That Thing that some combative and competitive ass people just have when they're losing).

2. pookspur

pookspur Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    i'm feeling pretty good about it. just give the word ...

antifan repped this.
  3. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    can i do it? even though I failed against man utd.

4. goonermaui

goonermaui Arsenal No Ka 'Oi

I do kinda like the idea of Pook starting it.

The way things are, it couldn't hurt......could it?

5. antifan

antifan Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    I gotta say, i'm not against it. Any objections?

6. goonermaui

Do it !!

...after all, we've got nothing left to offer.........or have we.;)

Has it ever been done before?

If it hasn't..I reckon you're the man to do it Pook.

Why not, I say.

7. Ryoichi

Ryoichi Member

Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    That'll be pretty awesome, do it pook!

8. daedalus

daedalus Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i would be a big, big fan of pook doing it if he promises to keep up the tradition of continuing thread starting until such time as it is appropriate for him to stop some time well into december!!!!!!!

. . . yeah, i'm an optimist.

9. VAGunner74

VAGunner74 Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think he's being caught on the ball because there are no forward options. He's a player who keeps his head up and looks for a positive pass...I'm sure it bothers him to keep knocking it back to our back line.

10. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Agreed. Let pook do it if he is willing to continue match thread duty in the event we don't lose.

11. Darth Norteño

Darth Norteño With Buddha In My Fists

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    Well, I figured my thread starting ban was up and I was going to step into the fray, but if you really want to outsource thread duty to the enemy, even if it is Pook, then so be it.

12. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Scotland
    If Sp:eek:rs win, I say Darth does the match threads the rest of the season.

13. pookspur

Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    damn ... i wish i'd've logged on before going in to work this morning. :D i'd've had something nice for you lads.

but alas, someone's beaten me to it. just don't go blaming me, now, when sunday doesn't go how you like. :D

14. GunneRy

GunneRy Member+

why even bother starting a thread? i don't think there's a person in the world besides wenger who'd going into this next one with any confidence,

15. antifan

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    To me, this was the turning point of the season.

hughmanatee and Tonerl repped this.
  16. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    It might have been sweet to make him keep starting threads for weeks on end, but the Karma Police may have gotten us in the end.

Do the general populace of the Sp*rs forum know that pook suggested this, I wonder?

17. antifan

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    I doubt it, but they were all feeling confident at that point in the season. I was a little surprised at just how confident Pook was, and seeing it made me feel it was time for Tottnumb's inevitable collapse. I feel the slightest tinge of guilt bringing it up, because i'm sure that Pook feels his overconfidence jinxed their season.

18. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    --other--
    You feel slight guilt. I feel slight arousal.

It all evens out

AfrcnHrbMan repped this.
  19. Val1

Val1 Member+

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Sure he does.... But this was the best result in quite some time and I agree with the assertion that it turned our season around, and more importantly, it sent Spurs into a tailspin. More than makes up for the 4-4 debacle....

20. pookspur

Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    you're all a bunch of bastards.

:D

no, really. :mad:

actually, if i'm honest, i'm not feeling too badly about any supposed cause/effect between my feelings and spurs' performances. i know better than that. that said, if i actually had started the thread ...

regardless, it's been the most frustrating season in all of my many of supporting spurs. this was the best team we've had since '87 (if not longer), and we came out of the season with literally nothing to show for it. when chelsea win this weekend (and they will), then you can have a good laugh at my expense. i'll not be fucking happy come that day. but whatever.

21. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    If it makes you feel any better, I'm going to throw up if I see John 'I'm not that kind of player' racist f*cking Terry parading around London with the Champions League trophy on his head.

22. antifan

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    How can you be the Champions of Europe, when you finished sixth in the league? I would love for Arsenal to win the Champions League, but unless you win the League as well, it doesn't really mean much. Win both, and you can claim you're the best team in Europe (and the world).

23. goonermaui

Because you can...

I have heard, it might have something to do with the qualification process,
    .... from the previous year

And don't give me that ..

"I would love for Arsenal to win the Champions League, but unless you win the League as well,
    it doesn't really mean much."

......................Mister 'Away Champions League Match Guy'.:rolleyes:;)

24. goonermaui

Remind me to slap you, next time we are at Coolers!!

25. Publius

Publius Member+

Club:
    DC United
    United States
    Which is why a friend of mine refers to the CL as The Champions League and Friends. I like the format of the old European Cup much better.

Moderators: antifan, yossarian