Fan Demographics

Discussion in 'CD Chivas USA' started by ejo1956, May 29, 2007.

1. ejo1956

ejo1956 Member

Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    United States
    Chivas USA is undoubtedly one of the leagues best supported clubs due to its affiliation with popular Chivas de Guadalajara and LA's large Mexican population. I am just curious, are there any non Mexican/Mexican-American fans that support this team or does the majority of your support come primarily from the Mexican population? Im sorry if this has already been discussed

2. MollG

MollG New Member

im just about as white as you can get. blonde hair blue eyes. but i love my Chivas.
  3. Gameface

Gameface BigSoccer Supporter

Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    United States
    No doubt, I am a white guy and a Chivas fan.;)
  4. futgod

futgod Member+

Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Mexico
    To my non Mexican chiva brothers, why do you love chivas usa? what is it that brought you to the red white and blue? Even though in the first year vergara alienated you and kinda insulted you. I think its great you guys are chivas usa fans it just shows one of the major reasons why chivas is a popular club it appeals to the masses no matter who you are.

5. the1owl

the1owl New Member

How did he alienate or insulte anyone as is your belief. :eek:
  6. sin palabras

sin palabras New Member

i've been called guerito yet i'm building up a strong affinity for Chivas USA, really just starting this season. i think they'll continue to build up a diverse fanbase because they are such a counterpoint to galaxy, instead relying more on *secret finds*, youth, and hard work. also i think a lot of soccer fans here are just used to watching and liking FMF on spanish language TV that it's not like Chivas is an exotic or foreign-feeling club. i think everyone who lives in LA long enough turns a little bit mexican.
  7. the1owl

the1owl New Member

FYI...
    Anything that ends with "ito" in spanish can be generalized as a CARING word as would be said about a light skin baby, even ones own.
  8. porque?

porque? Member

My son's half white (as white as they come, aside from Molly of course) and he's a die hard Chivista, both Guadalajara and USA!!!
  9. Various Styles

Various Styles Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Caring indeed, just be worried if you're being called a "Culito" :D

But the Owl is correct "Guerito" is a term of endearment.. .
  10. AndSomeAreAngels

AndSomeAreAngels Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    Liverpool FC
    United States
    I'm also as white as they come, and a Chivas USA fan.

I became a fan after going to a few Gals games, then a few Chivas games. The atmosphere, the team's style, everything about the club made me choose them over the Gals, who are just dreadfully boring. Also the fact that Chivas has 3 up and coming U.S. national players makes the team a lot more interesting to me.

I'm not a Chivas Guadalajara fan at all, though I guess I'd watch their games when they're in season and root for them.

I've taken lots of non-Mexican friends to the games and they've loved it. I think that demographic (the non-Mexican fans) will continue to grow, but only if they're marketed to. As it is right now, the FO seems content to only go after Chivas Guadalajara fans, which hasn't quite had the desired results yet.
  11. gabola71

gabola71 Member

Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Watching the style of ball Chivas USA played last year sold me on the team. I don't live in LA nor am I of Mexican heritage but this white boy loves the style of ball that is played by the non-galaxy type residents of the Home Depot Center. I got my first MLS shirt for my birthday and wouldn't you know its red and white. Chivas is my team until San Antonio gets a team which will never happen so its looking like I'm a Chivas fan till I die.
  12. Gameface

Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    United States
    Simply put, I'll let their actions on the field speak for them rather than a really lame marketing ploy. I think that this organization has clearly made ammends since season one. We have an exciting team consisting of mostly up and coming talent from many backgrounds. There is no evidence that this team has any desire to return to that awful past. In addition the coaching staff is made up of proven MLS talent that is also quite diverse. If you offer a good product I could care less about the advertising.
  13. hrothgarofsocal

hrothgarofsocal Member

Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Ireland Republic
    I'm an old Irishman transplanted to SoCal. I held Galaxy seats since they moved to the HDC, but really never became a supporter. I am a supporter of football, so I had to get my fix somewhere. Had of course seen Chivas USA since day one and figured I'd pick up seats to get more games..... Well, this season I did not renew my green/gold seats and bought a couple more Chivas USA seats. I get to see the same MLS teams come in at a much better price and won't have to put up with the Becks circus crowds when they arrive. I'm very happy and trying to spread the word. Head to head record aside, CUSA plays a much better brand of football than the neighbors. I have become a supporter of Chivas USA.
  14. sodi_gar

sodi_gar Member

Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    well my non-mexican brothers, i am mexican-american and i love it that you guys are fans. This is LA's team not Hollywoods team. If you are from southern california you will be infected by Mexicanism...don't fight it....embrace it. This regions history has always been one of symbiance (don't know if i spelled that right so don't give me a hard time) where white and brown have worked and played together for years. We don;t always get along but do brothers really always get along. So to all the Chivas USA fans that are not Chicano, Hispanic, Latino, Mexican-American...who love Carne Asada fries, who took two years of high school spanish but only remeber the bad words their friends taught them, who have probably had a mexican girlfriend or your sister dated a chicano dude, and especially who know soccer's true name is Futbol...welcome back to the family. By the way my wife is half white and half korean( she looks latina) but i have made her a 100% chivas usa fan. And my 3 and 6yr old diego and sophia are already being infected throught the sacred inoctrination ritual i call saturday soccer.and who do they love....you guessed it Chivas USA
  15. AndSomeAreAngels

AndSomeAreAngels Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    Liverpool FC
    United States
    Great post.

FWIW, I've definitely never felt remotely uncomfortable at Chivas games. Sure, people assume that I'm rooting for the visiting team, but when I stand up and yell for Chivas I get nothing but smiles.

I love Latinos, Latino culture, food, speaking Spanish (mas o menos), and travel in Latin America, which helps I guess, but the real reason I'm a Chivas fan is because of their style of play. Chivas games are a great cultural experience, and all the friends I've taken (who've been either black or white) have lauded the gameday atmosphere and fans. I hope the fanbase continues to grow, both in numbers and diversity.
  16. Schwalker

Schwalker New Member

Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Germany
    Considering that hundreds of European football clubs was created by British railwayworkers that built railroads all over Europe and left odd clubnames like Grasshoppers, Go-Ahead Eagles, Black sox etc in places like Switzerland, Holland or Turkey it´s not surprising that Chivas USA is not a "pure" Mexican club anymore...Which is promising if we talk about expanding the fanbase I think.
  17. sin palabras

sin palabras New Member

everyone loves me! i'm going to start attaching 'ito' to as many words as possible.
  18. Juan Martin

Juan Martin New Member

Man, I just think its f.ucking cool how soccer unites the whole world. And much love to "every" Chiva fan.
  19. Legionario

Legionario New Member

To imply that Chivas USA is a mexican only supported club is stupid to say the least.

I suggest that you attend a game and look around. You will be surprised to see how many different nationalities support the team. The stands are as diverse as the team.
  20. Gameface

Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    United States
    Agreed, they resemble the true demographics of SoCal. I'll see you all at the next game!
  21. paranoidman

paranoidman New Member

Hi everyone - you can add a uk fan to the list now. I'm from Manchester in England and normally a United fan there. But since it's our close season I need some kind of football fix

And I chose Chivas USA because they're a football team, not a soccer team!
  22. Legionario

Legionario New Member

Nice. Global Domination here we come HAHAHAHA
  23. mahana1206

mahana1206 New Member

I'm originally from the UK, but live here in Orange County and love the CHIVAS. I worked in Mexico City for a while and followed the América team, I would not have been spoken to if I mentioned any other Primera Fuerza team. Of course I am still loyal to my WEST HAM UNITED as we lived in foodlight distance from the ground (which meant I could never park my car outside my house on game day). Come on you IRONS.
  24. Chivista805

Chivista805 New Member

I think it is awsome that cd gaudalajara has supporters everywhere they go in mexico also known as LA LEGION 1908 and have different chapters within the country. They are known as "EL REBANO SAGRADO" which means the sacred team because they are an all mexican team and are the only team that is like that from the begining of there history. Here in LA we also have a Legion called LA legion Kalifas 1908. we support both clubs primerly Chivas usa, but when ever Chivas Gaudalajara come down we are there 2. I think an english chanting version supporters would be great maybe call it "The Legion KALI 1908" and make sure everyone who attends has a great time and really enjoy the game of football as it should be, and not be split up into different supporter groups for the same team like other mls teams like the Galaxy with there LARS group and Gaylaxians or the Dynamo EL BATALLON group and there ARMY which sit close to each other and chant different things...lol...very unorganized...

During the last game when chivas usa played chicago fire the tv broadcasters where talking about the support 4 chivas usa and how we have really 1 of the best fans in the league and how they acount 4 an average of about 7,500 fans at visiting stadiums. Hopefully they can become like there big brother team and become the national pride.

If anyone is interested in becoming a part of the legion regardless of where u live Go our website www.legion1908kalifas.com sign up in the forum (FORO) there and talk 2 anyone there or u can come in person 2 a game. we are normal in section 12 of the parking lot. We keep expanding all over the US with legions in chicago , colorado, california, and texas.

[​IMG]

you can get a hold of me on MSPACE.COM simply go the videos part of myspace and look for "Legion Kalifas" most of the videos on there are mine under my profile name "805chivas4life!"
  25. the1owl

the1owl New Member

Chivista805 in regards to the chanting, I think you make for a great environment. I have a suggestion. I've sat close and far and love to see everyone jumping and singing and throwing confetti. Though I find it hard for anyone to join in as no one knows all the songs. I attended some of the first chivas games and noticed that keeping it simple at times allows for massive participation. By that I mean, the foot stomping in the higher stands, the clapping, and sinple Chivas! Chivas! Clap Clap Clap Chivas! Chivas! is so effective at times. It engages everyone and is simple to follow. Also it would be great if you would start some waves when the team needs it and the stadium is at a good capacity to do so. Keep up the passion and good work out there!