1. Save 40-80% on great soccer jerseys. Shop today at BigSoccer Shop!

Fieldturf - It burns! It burns!

Discussion in 'Player' started by spejic, Jul 18, 2006.

Moderators: appleCORR7
  1. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    For the first time in my life I am playing regularly on Fieldturf fields. The problem is that the local 90 degree weather, the field gets very hot and my feet are very uncomfortable quickly. Has anyone found a way to shield themselves from the heat?

2. reticent

reticent New Member

i just started playing on fieldturf and noticed that my black sambas leave black scuff marks on the green turf! anybody else have that problem? should i just get white sambas, or does anybody have any recommendations?? thanks in advance.

p.s. yeah fieldturf gets hot doesn't it!

3. Fulham Fan

Fulham Fan New Member

4. jvillefreelance

jvillefreelance New Member

Just wear indoors or turf shoes on the surface. At first I didn't think this would work, I thought my indoors would slide way too much, but honestly they didn't, and my feet didn't heat up nearly as much as when I wore my cleats, plus turf messes up my cleats, so wearing $30 indoors is less cost effective if/when they fall apart in comparison to my $200 cleats.

Also, they black scuff is just the rubber treatment getting knocked onto the surface of the turf, its not a problem.

5. Reis710

Reis710 New Member

me and my dad work for a company that puts in field turf and yea during the summer its ********ing hot. you need gloves to put it in.

6. Turk from Pigs Eye

Turk from Pigs Eye New Member

Red Bull's Danny O'Rourke had to come off for a few minutes during last Friday's game at the Meadowlands because his feet were burning. They showed him on camera and Shep Messing described what they did. They watered down his socks/feet, smeared big gobs of vaseline on the bottom of his socks, and he changed shoes. I'm not sure what kind of shoes he changed out of or into.

7. reticent

reticent New Member

wait really? -- the black scuffs are just those little black rubber pebbles bouncing onto the turf, so then they sink back in and the scuffs go away? wow, that makes me feel so much better! i thought i was screwing up the field (like on a tennis court, when dark-soled shoes mark the court....)

thanks for clearing that up!!

8. nsa

nsa Member+

Club:
    New England Revolution
    United States
    The extra heat (10-20 degrees hotter than the air) on Nickerson Field was a big complaint when teams came to play the Boston Breakers while the WUSA was extant.

When I ref in hot weather on FieldTurf and similar fields I pour water over my feet and cleats when I can. Also, I bring extra cleats and socks when working multiple games, changing between matches or at halftime.

9. NHRef

NHRef Member+

I reffed on one in NH last weekend, was 92 in the parking lot, 105 on the field (had a thermometer with me just out of curiousity). Ya your feet get hot, you have to keep moving, this helps a bit.

One "funny" thing was halftime, normally players sit down and talk with the coach, they all sat and where back on their feet almost instantly, I guess nylon soccer shorts don't make good insulation :D

One of the trainers was also saying that some weird staff infections are occuring when kids get cut/floor burns on this stuff. Seems everyone sweats, spits and maybe even bleeds on it, possibly vomit too. Sinces it basically plastic the stuff just sits there and festers. Without a dowsing rain to periodically wash it off (grass fields at least get sprinklers), the germs sit and grow waiting for a cut to get into.

10. OutKast3000

OutKast3000 New Member

Staph infection has been a concern -- evidently there is a disinfectant spray taht is designed for field turf to spray every once in awhile.

It is a major concern for heavily used fields -- especially with kids.

11. eplkewell

eplkewell New Member

I play on field turf all the time. The only solution is to be tough and have a high fitness level. It's always hot on the field, but if you're fit and tough, you can outplay your opponents. Also, wearing shoes is better than playing barefoot, although I've done both.

12. servotron

servotron New Member

I know this is not the cheap option.... but get second pair of boots. Wear one in the first half and one in the second (or in multiple games, etc). I do it, and as long as you have a change of socks (they get hot too, and blisters don't help...that's for sure) you should be good to go for at least 45 minutes at a time while your other shoes cool down.

loden repped this.
  13. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

FieldTurf is hot as hell, but its kinda cool too!

14. peedentwins

peedentwins New Member

Club:
    --other--
    Field Turf is very hot. That is one of the negatives. I played on Field Turf in college and looked everywhere for a product to stop the burning of my feet. Through tons of research I came across a company called Turf Insoles that are developing a turf insole that protects against heat on field turf. This should be interesting to test this product out. Their website said they will be launching in the summer of 2013. Can't wait. Anything will help. the website is www.turfinsoles.com Hope this helps!!!

15. nicklaino

nicklaino Member

Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Who manufactures your version of field turf is it Nike or someone else?

16. nicklaino

nicklaino Member

Club:
    Manchester United FC
    There are a lot of companies that make a version of field turf. Did you guys know you can have your front lawn done in a kind of field turf?

My old park that I played in as a kid. Was done in a kind of field turf. This field turf had a tremendous amount of lead in it. So much so they had to close tge whole park until they could remove it.

The inventer of field turf was a guy named Gilman he was the brother of the old coach of the Sandiego Charges when they were in the AFL.

He used to post on a lot of soccer sites pushing his new product. I was a big doubter hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

Then when they saved the Metropolitan oval here they put the field in. Before they did that it was a dirt field. The ofhe ad of our adult league and our youth league was also an official. He was not going to lose his official fee just because of rain :) it did not take much rain to flood the field. The ball would float on the water. Interesting tacticly to play on that surface.

So now they have tge real field turf. Play 20 games on weekends on fake grass but at least tge field did not flood it had a drainage system underneath. I played on it and liked it.

Wanted to get our home field done but only had 450 thousand to spend. St that time field and installation was a million.

Then Gilman sold out to Nike. They used old sneakers under the field.now there are a lot of manufactures of knock off field turf fields. They can not be trusted.

Funny story thr Metrostars put in a field turf in Giants Stafium. It worked very well. Then the giants those idiots decided to mow tge artificial grass short for point football. It ruined the field

17. ejgrownarseman

ejgrownarseman Member

Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    United States
    If I have to play on turf I much prefer old school astro to field turf. Sure, it's nothing like natural grass, but it doesn't try to be. And there's no confusion as to what boots to wear.

18. nicklaino

nicklaino Member

Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Brooklyn college was our own home field for about 8 years. It was astro turf opponents hated it. We hated it until we learned to play on it. Then we became unbeatable playing on it. Turned a crap field to a great home field advantage. But when we had a chance to move to a real grass field we jumped all over it.

19. dstewart

dstewart New Member

Club:
    --other--
    Indoor shoes and turf shoes are designed to prevent turf from irritating your feet. Therefore, if your turf shoes aren't working right and you are still feeling uncomfortable sensations on your feet while playing, then I suggest that you either get new shoes or talk to other players to see what they use and if their's work good on turf, buy the same ones. The shoes that I use work great and they are Nike FC247 Elastico's II, Indoor soccer shoes that can be found at these websites, www.soccerpro.com, nike.com and mcsports.com. I hope this helped!

20. rca2

rca2 Member

The obvious solution to hot weather turf problems is to soak the field prior to the match to cool it off with evaporation. But that costs money so I don't expect that field authorities provide for it except for high school, college and professional matches.

Comfort is not my concern. The raised temperature increase the risk of hot spots leading to blisters. The risk of heat injury is also increased. At extreme conditions you need to cool off the soles of your shoes (with water for instance) to avoid first degree burns (like a mild sunburn) to the soles of your feet.

21. loden

loden Member

Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    This is the only real way of doing it. Second pair of shoes is a must.

Moderators: appleCORR7