Fire Mark Watson Thread (and rescind JD's contract extension)

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by SoccerMan94043, Mar 30, 2014.

1. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    This needs to be stickied and remain at the top of the forum until we make the playoffs or both are gone.

2. bsman

bsman Member+

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Don't hold your breath. Given what happened during this off-season (i.e. the off-loading of Beitashour, etc.) I've become convinced that our owners aren't particularly concerned with the results on the field as long as the results on the fiscal spreadsheet meet their expectations. Perhaps when we have our stadium and are drawing 18K to every home game we'll see the purse strings loosen, but I'm not holding my breath...
    elvinjones, Beerking and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  3. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator Staff Member

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If people post here, it will stay at the top. He's not going anywhere though. I've said all along that they've decided that this is throwaway year. Matk is going to have to make some serious mistakes to lose his job. Losing a game 2-1 is not it
  4. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    yeah, we all know you are right, and it is so depressing.

Why not just change the title to Fire Mark Watson? oh, does it even matter. It's only one month in and I'm so close to giving up and not caring about this team anymore this season. That's really bad. I guess I'm feeling this way because this still doesn't feel like a new season, it feels like a continuation or a repeat of last season.
    Beerking, ant0n and QuietType repped this.

5. Socarchist

Socarchist Member

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Right on.

Watson is doing fine, especially as a first time head coach with a cheap ownership. Last night, however, his substitution patterns were poor. He waited too long for Djalo and substituted him for the wrong player. The injury to Lenhart forced the sub for Gordon. Koval for Pierazzi was misguided desperation to steal a win, but contributed to a loss.

In contrast, Doyle is in his seventh season and we have little to show for it, save the magical 2012 Supporters Shield season, which ended about when it should have when the team faced the increased scrutiny of playoff soccer. Two seasons later, management is still living off its coattails and fruitlessly trying to recreate it.

Ownership wouldn't keep Doyle if they didn't approve of the job he is doing, which is what bsman's accurate analysis confirms.
    Beerking, Quakes05 and bsman repped this.
  6. bsman

bsman Member+

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Repeat (if you'll recall, we had five wins in our first 20 league games last year). We ended the last two months of last season (Sept-Oct) 5-0-2, so our current record (0-2-1) is hardly a continuation!
    markmcf8 repped this.
  7. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    If last night was the first time you noticed his poor substitutions, you haven't been paying attention. By contrast, you could say last night was great because hey, at least he used them all!
  8. Socarchist

Socarchist Member

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    There is no requirement to use all three substitutions. I won't bother to look up Watson's winning percentage since he became head coach in order to fend off a trollish attack, but I figure that percentage must compare favorably with almost any other head coach.
    alexiskool1991 repped this.
  9. falvo

falvo Member+

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Italy
    Interestingly, after losing to the Quakes, both LA GALS coach Ruud Gullit and GM Alexi LALAs were both fired on the same occasion. Is it time for JD & MW?
    markmcf8 repped this.
  10. blurryblue

blurryblue Member+

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    No way we draw anywhere near 18K to every home game playing like this. That said, Watson may realize at some point that he is over his head on the technical side of things and so maybe he'll try to bring in some help. His buddies Russell and Dasovic are not cutting it, not by a long shot.
    markmcf8 repped this.
  11. DotMPP

DotMPP Good Luck Rafa

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Can anyone help me find the logic behind this post on this thread?
  12. blurryblue

blurryblue Member+

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The winning percentage is going down fast. His substitution should have been Koval for Cronin (on the second goal I believe Corsy would have had a better chance to read the danger and track back to help). Also Watson didn't bring on Jello soon enough and it should have been Cato subbed off, not Breaklage. Even if the restart was done properly, Nguyen would still have been open to receive the pass given that Cato completely fell asleep. Cato was at fault for that goal and therefore Watson was at fault for the loss.
  13. falvo

falvo Member+

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Italy
    You want logic in a Quakes thread? Really?
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
    Beerking and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  14. DotMPP

DotMPP Good Luck Rafa

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    :p
  15. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Can I have your VIP seats?
    nihon2000, fadedtoblack and DotMPP repped this.
  16. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Trollish attack? I think you mistook my comments. I'm serious. Go back and look at last year's threads. Watson had a tendency to make subs later than he should have, and many people here were calling him out for it. He has a track record of poor subs, not just last night. And no, you don't have to use your subs. But you're putting yourself at a disadvantage if you don't. He didn't use subs when he should have(trying to hold on to points late), he used them when he shouldn't have(making a sub when down a goal and 1 minute of stoppage time left). Simple stuff, coaching 101.
    markmcf8 repped this.
  17. Socarchist

Socarchist Member

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You accused me of not "paying attention" because you disagreed with what I wrote. So yes, a personal attack and trollish. My attention is on every game, in person at every home match and a few road ones, and on TV or stream for all the rest. Every match since 1996. I don't expect you to necessarily agree, but you made it personal and I take offense.
  18. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    The perfect investigator for this:

[​IMG]
  19. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    So then you didn't notice this about Watson's subs last year? It was a big complaint on these forums. I find it strange for the subs last night to strike someone as poor for the first time. Not trying to personally attack anyone. Just saying.
  20. Socarchist

Socarchist Member

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Life exists outside the internet. I read many of the threads regarding the Quakes, so I've read your complaints about Watson's failure to use all three subs. In fact, I may have commented about it. I don't remember. Now that Baca is gone, I see you've found your newest fixation.

I think Watson is doing fine, even if his substitutions on Saturday were overaggressive and ultimately poor. He and his staff are still figuring out how to incorporate Djalo onto the squad. I believe in giving people a chance and not lazily looking for scapegoats. My mind remains open. If Watson's coaching fails to meet last year's successes, and I find it noteworthy, I'll express myself here.
  21. falvo

falvo Member+

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Italy
    Not trying to stir anything but I remember there was a time not so long ago that there was a big push in trying to "Americanize soccer". Interestingly, since 1996, we have only had one American born coach and he was born in Scotland.
    Time to hire an American born coach! :)

England Laurie Calloway (1996–97)
    Republic of Ireland Brian Quinn (1997–99)
    Chile Jorge Espinoza (interim) (1999)
    Germany Lothar Osiander (1999–00)
    Canada Frank Yallop (Feb 3, 2001–Dec 12, 2003)
    United States Dominic Kinnear (Jan 6, 2004–Dec 15, 2005)
    Canada Frank Yallop (Nov 9, 2007–June 7, 2013)
    Canada Mark Watson (June 2013–)
  22. hc897

hc897 Member

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    There is some evidence that when the team has money to spend, they will spend it. The A's received a healthy influx of cash due to the new MLB tv deal. Fisher and Wolff could have pocketed basically all of that money, but instead, they used it, in part, to create a team that is probably the most expensive A's team in about a decade. The Quakes have had massive investments so far and with a max stadium capacity of just over 10,000 for the majority of the season, that can limit revenue. On top of that, corporate sponsors might be less inclined to advertise at Buck Shaw knowing that it's a small venue that is temporary and will be unoccupied by a professional team come next year.

Now, in regard to Watson, on a personal level, I like him far better than I did Yallop. He deserves a chance to put his stamp on the team and make them in the image he sees fit. Last season was a nice start for him. This season has been a bit of a step back so far. I think it's too premature to call for his head already. Although this thread seems a little slow in its creation considering the past coaching threads around here...
  23. falvo

falvo Member+

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Italy
    I do have a feeling one day, Doyle may take a position with Sacramento Republic if and when they ever come into MLS.
  24. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member

Club:
    Juventus FC
    Looks like we're right on track for that number again.
    mjlee22 repped this.
  25. falvo

falvo Member+

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Italy
    & only ONE (1) point out of a postseason birth....

I definitively see a pattern developing here....