Gedion Zelalem at Arsenal

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by Higher Learning, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Typhaon

Typhaon Member

I'm sure all of this isn't a mystery to him.

If he wants to play for the US, then he'll do (or not do) certain things in the very near future. It's up to him.
    Mario Balotelli repped this.

2. jfalstaff

jfalstaff Member

I think whatever they spend is included in the $20 million figure Garber talked about. If you think it's not then feel free to provide evidence that shows otherwise.
  3. chalaron

chalaron Member+

The quote said, that MLS spends $20mil, not every team spends a total of $20 million. There is no possible way their development academies cost that little to run. I'm betting this is some sort of Revenue sharing thing the league does with each team where they earmark certain amounts for certain things. I mean why does LA always seem to be turning out good players while I've never heard of a single person coming from Colorado? If they have the exact same shitty budgets then whatever LA is doing needs to be copied.

I'm sure this is like how the college football conferences hand out money to the individual schools. Last year the SEC gave each school $21mil, LSU's revenue was $114mil.

I'm guessing that each team puts however much money they want to in to their academy whatever that number is, add $1mil for the money supplied by MLS.
  4. ielag

ielag Member+

Southern California will always have an advantage because there's 20 million people here (if you count San Diego County), extremely diverse, many people love the sport, and weather to play year round. The area has been producing the most NT players even before the Galaxy academy was started. Galaxy have also poached a lot of talent from other local youth clubs (including Chivas USA). Galaxy need to not just be satisfied by being the best academy in MLS, but one that can eventually be compared to others in the Americas.

As for Colorado, Shane O'Neill came through their academy, and Dillon Serna (an exciting prospect).

5. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

#1 Feilhaber and Adu Member+

I think the best case for gedion if he wanted to switch to the US would somehow get US citizenship within a month before turning 18, then have the work permit hearing a week after he turns 18. Which means he would only miss 3-5 first team games, because I just don't see how he couldent get it under the special talent clause. But, something about FIFA requiring you to be present in your new country 5 years after getting citizenship is what might actually make this a dead issue anyway. Unless MLS offers him like a $50 million contract to play in MLS till 23, then go to Europe.
  6. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Yeah I know that plays a big role, but don't you think if LAG only had $1mil to spend they wouldn't be able to scout as much, offer as many kids, etc. and some of these kids would possibly go to other teams? I just don't buy that every team is on equal footing when it comes to development spending.
  7. jfalstaff

jfalstaff Member

That's possible. But where is the evidence of that? Can you cite an article that says so? The reason I think its unlikely is that Garber would have included those numbers in his final total. MLS is one company and is well aware of what its clubs are spending on academies. Even if that were true (which I highly doubt it is) my argument about the opportunity cost of spending $100 million on three players when that money could have gone into creating world class academies still stands.
  8. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Club:
    Chicago Fire
    United States
    Yeah, because it's pretty much the only path, assuming he wants to stay at Arsenal.
  9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

BTW................how did Pelosi move to Liverpool?

He's a US youth player so he's a US citizen. However, he also must be a German citizen as he didn't have to apply for a UK work permit.

He was also born in Germany as far as I remember.

How is Gideon's situation different?
  10. Kagler24

Kagler24 Member

Pelosi was born in Germany (automatic German citizenship) to American parents (automatic American citizenship). So the rule about giving up citizenship in Germany is moot, because he got citizenship in both countries at the same time.

Zelalem was born in Germany (automatic German citizenship) to Ethiopian parents, and then moved to the United States for a long period of time.

So the difference is that Pelosi's parents are American, which automatically gave him citizenship. Zelalem has no blood relatives in the US, so the process takes a lot longer for him.
    Frankball repped this.
  11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

So Pelosi is in fact a dual-citizen?

It just seems like we've had a lot of German-American USYNT/USMNT players head to the UK without work permits that I assumed were dual citizens. Jonathan Spector springs to mind, who has always been quite proud of his German heritage. He was born a US citizen, but not a German one.....................I believe. So at some point he must have become a dual-national.

http://www.yanks-abroad.com/content.php?mode=show&id=001243

"I could get a German passport because my mother was born in Siegen, Westphalia, so that helped further my career as a professional footballer in Europe. I have my mom to thank for that. I was extremely fortunate."

"My first football club was Schwaben A.C. in Chicago and it was unique because all the coaches and the families involved were from a strong German background and they all spoke German to each other. It was my first international footballing experience!"

With Germany based in Chicago during World Cup USA '94, Spector's Teutonic heritage paid dividends again as got to meet his football hero, a man he may come up against at the World Cup next summer.

"One of the coaches on the team knew Jurgen Klinsmann's father when they were in Germany together and he was able to arrange for me to meet him at the team hotel before one of their games. I had always grown up a supporter of the German National Team, and in particular Klinsmann, so it was a big experience to meet him. He was the player I looked up to the most because I played striker like him when I was younger."
  12. Kagler24

Kagler24 Member

Yes, Pelosi is allowed dual citizenship because he acquired both at the same time. I cant say what the story is with Spector. Maybe the US is a little bit more relaxed on dual citizenship laws than Germany is, which would make sense given our history of immigration as a Country.
  13. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Higher Learning repped this.
  14. esc0

esc0 Member

Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    United States
    Don't know if anyone brought the MLS article yet but I wrote the following in the MLS article
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...n-zelalem-wows-first-team-debut-will-he-play-

Washington Post article:

"Gedion’s best bet is the Child Citizenship Act of 2000, which clears the way for a foreign-born minor to naturalize as soon as a parent becomes a citizen."

"Has the father, Zelalem Woldyes, filed for citizenship? He did not respond to messages seeking comment. Multiple sources, however, said Woldyes did take initial steps for naturalization about 18 months ago."

Zelalem: "Yea I love America"

He's in a bit of a bad situation. I wonder if his father does get citizenship does Zelalem get it automatically or does he have to still apply for it? Does he still lose his German citizenship if he gains it automatically?

He would have to decide which national team he would play for before his 18 too since:

"If he does not receive citizenship before turning 18 in January 2015, Gedion would still be eligible for a passport as an adult. Under complicated guidelines, time spent as a permanent resident in the United States would count toward citizenship. The fact that he now lives overseas, however, would not help his case."

I could imagine (and wouldn't blame) Jurgen if he promises Zelalem a place on the first team to persuade him to pick the USA so that getting a work permit in England would be much easier if he did lose his German citizenship.
    robdawgie repped this.
  15. robdawgie

robdawgie Member

Club:
    Everton FC
    United States
    Thanks for the post, esc0. That sums it up very well.

If JK offers Z a place on the first team and a World Cup spot, there shouldn't be any complications in England.

If I were JK, #22 and #23 would be Zelalem and Green.
    chad repped this.
  16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Club:
    Boston Breakers
    United States
    Here's what the USCIS says about it (we know Gedion's mother died, but we don't know the citizenship status of his stepmother and if that is part of his father's citizenship process):

Automatic U.S. Citizenship After Birth - But Before the Age of 18

The child was residing as a Green Card holder in the U.S. and both parents naturalized before the child’s 18th birthday; OR

• If one parent died, that the surviving parent naturalized before the child turned 18.
    "Residing" is this case, doesn't necessarily mean physically residing in the US, but "maintaining residence in the US" by keeping a residence or a US driver's license or bank accounts -- something that shows you plan to return to the US and that the time away is only temporary.

The "age 18" factor is a bit of a red herring. As long as he maintains his Green Card, he can file to become a citizen on his own after he turns 18. He would need the "5 years on the Green Card + 2.5 years of physical presence during that time" standard, which does become harder as he spends time overseas. He's been in the UK pretty exclusively since age 16, so it would be really tight at age 18. His best chance is for his father to naturalize before he turns 18.

I still think the FIFA Statutes, Article 7, will be the problem that can't be overcome.

It says that any player assuming a new nationality would have to meet one of several standards, most having to do with birthplace or parents/grandparents. But the last provision says: "He has lived continuously for at least
    five years after reaching the age of 18 on the territory of the relevant Association." This used to be 2 years period.

The new standard was put in place in 2008 and I don't think it has really had much discussion around it and its implications for those who naturalize as a youth.
  17. naopon

naopon Member+

Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth and BostonRed repped this.
  18. Frankball

Frankball Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    Gedion Zelalem is listed in the substitute lineup today against Crystal Palace.
  19. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Grant Wahl ‏@GrantWahl 4m
    Hearing Jurgen Klinsmann is pushing harder to get Arsenal's Gedion Zelalem & Mainz's Shawn Parker to choose the USMNT. Hardly a slam dunk.
    edcrocker repped this.
  20. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Club:
    DC United
    United States
    Much easier to push for/recruit these players when you get to tell the guys "I'm going to be the US manager for the next 4 years, so I'm the guy who can promise that you will be brought along into the team via 'x' or 'y' way." I hope it works out.
  21. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Club:
    Boston Breakers
    United States
  22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Club:
    Boston Breakers
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  23. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Is there a way to protest these petitions
  24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Club:
    Boston Breakers
    United States
    soccersubjectively repped this.
  25. SUDano

SUDano Member+

So when Germany calls him up for U17 qualifying next month what is he going to tell them?
    Tom Collingsworth repped this.