goal keeper with sprained thumbs...read please!

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by Keeper24, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Keeper24

Keeper24 New Member

all the keepers out there...please expalin how u prevent sprained thumbs without using fingersaves...used fingersaves for a while then the design went down the drain..please explain how to prevent these sprainded fingers...done it so many times doctors says they wont heel ne more! :eek: :mad:

2. KEEP_IT_OUT

KEEP_IT_OUT New Member

unfourtunatly there is not much you can do about a sprained thumb, i know i've sprained both of mine numerous times. But i would suggest tapping, lots of tapping. find a good way of taping it, ask a trainor or google it. You should also try looking on www.goalkeeperzone.com its a great site with tons of goalkeeping information.
  3. ADIKeeper

ADIKeeper New Member

Theres a reason a lot of pros with their gloves off have huge ammounts of tape all over their hands.
  4. Old US Keeper

Old US Keeper New Member

Too many keepers think that Fingersaves will prevent them from getting finger injuries, which is a falacy. All Fingersaves do is give one a false sense of security. I do not recommend them to my keepers unless they already have a damaged finger & need a little support. Think of them as a crutch, not as armor.

Taping will help, but you need to focus on strengthening your fingers & thumbs to help reduce the chance of hyperextending them (sprains). There are a ton of exercises that you can do to help achieve stronger fingers.

5. htafc

htafc New Member

i try to where tubi-grip for my wrists, that gives a lot of support.. then for very important matches i wear tape, it does help!
  6. red & wite army

red & wite army I ain't no drama queen!

--other--
    I have just realised that I know nothing about goalkeeping equipment! What exactly are fingersaves?
  7. vanity_soccer13

vanity_soccer13 Member

they're a line of adidas gloves with like, coils I guess you could describe them as.. hard rubbery/plastic spines that run through the gloves on what is the outside of your finger to prevent hyperextension and breaking of fingers. when I play keeper from time to time, I don't like them because they're just too stiff for me.
  8. red & wite army

red & wite army I ain't no drama queen!

--other--
    Thanx, much appreciated.

It makes sense, but tbh, if I was a keeper, I'd want as much hand flexiblity as possible.
  9. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    United States
    Welcome to the world of soccer goalkeeping.

I can't even begin to backtrack the number of times I've sprained my thumbs over the years. I've had to cut gloves off due to swelling, I've been unable to even cup the ball to even roll it before.

Rule 1 is tape. Lots and lots of tape. When you think you've taped enough, buy another roll and use it all.

Since I got old and soccer became more of a fun, after-work thing for me than a do-or-die competitive activity, I've also made some adjustments to my style. Rather than catch every ball on the fly, I normally only attempt to catch and hold the balls that I have to dive for. On hard shots from distance that I'm able to square up on, I've taken mostly to batting them down and collecting them on the bounce off the grass (when there is no apparent danger of an opposing player charging).

Another thing I've taken to is avoiding pregame warmups. Many, if not the majority of my thumb sprains have come in either practice or in warmups before a game... its because, I've found, players love to try the point blank, blistering hard shots during warmups. Nowadays, I either skip them completely or work on a specific skillset - boxing, tipping over the net, running over mentally my approach on a shot without making the save move. But never catching straight-up.

Even with all this, I play 1-2 times a week and have sprained my thumbs at least 4 times in the last year.
  10. Old US Keeper

Old US Keeper New Member

With all due respect, this is a bad habit to get into, although you have stated that you only do it when an opponent isn't charging. I say it is a bad habit because the one time you don't see an opponent coming from the side & he gets to the ball before you do, you'll be kicking yourself later. Working on proper technique & finger strength is a better option, IMHO.

You should always warm-up, but I agree that I never let the lads take point blank shots on me. They are always trying to blast the ball & don't think that they could potentially hurt their own keeper. I pick one player that I know can warm me up without having an ego.

In my 29 years between the sticks I've had a LOT of injuries (most to my fingers), but as long as my body lets me, I'll continue to play!
  11. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    United States
    Oh, I agree. But when you're old and playing beer league soccer just for fun, I'm more interested in being able to use my hands the next day than keeping a clean sheet... although, and I'm trying to think here, I don't believe I've EVER been scored on as a result of doing this. If I'm ever in doubt I catch and hold.

Oh, I do warm up, just not necessarially in goal, unless I want to work on one specific thing (like boxing, etc). I do windsprints, collapse steps and work my way to some dives off to the side of the goal to get over the initial apprehension that comes every time I have to make that first dive (I've got a prosthetic knee, so I am cautious in goal).

I never just stand in goal and let them blast it at me. If they do while I'm in the goal, I don't make a move for the shot, I mentally stop it.
  12. Old US Keeper

Old US Keeper New Member

Gotcha! Thanx for clarifying.

P.S. (Love your avatar. It's a Romper Room Do-Bee, isn't it?)
  13. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    United States
    Hahaha! Maybe if he got hopped up on Crystal Meth and is out looking for a fight or something.