1. Save 40-80% on great soccer jerseys. Shop today at BigSoccer Shop!

Hours spent in training and games

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by rhrh, Mar 19, 2013.

?

How many hours per week does your child (12 or older) spend in organized soccer training or games?

1. Less than 3 hours per week

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 3 - 6 hours per week

7.7%
  3. 6.25 - 10 hours per week

38.5%
  4. 10.25 - 15 hourse per week

38.5%
  5. Over 15.25 hours per week

15.4%
Moderators: bigredfutbol
  1. rhrh

rhrh Member

Club:
    AC Milan
    I am getting really frustrated with my son's team. They make noise about being "an elite team" but have 3 hours of practice per week, and a game or two, for a total of 5 hours of soccer per week I know they are not in the academy program, but the cost is well over $2,000 so I expected an adequate amount of training.

We have supplemented his training, so that he was up to 8 hours per week in the winter, but we would like him to play for other teams to get more training and get up to 12 or even better 15 hours per week. His goal is to play in college or the pros. He is HS-aged.

That made me wonder - how much training are other kids getting? If your kid is 12 or older, how many hours per week is the club providing plus how many hours are you paying for soccer training and/or games outside the club?

2. The Flush

The Flush New Member

Club:
    Columbus Crew
    United States
    My u10 son is in his first season with a club and he trains 3 x 1.5 hours per week and plays 8 games plus 2 tournaments each season. Training began March 1 and the last tournament ends May 19, although there may be a 3v3 tournament in June. Our club costs $250 per season (plus uniforms). They play in the Mid Ohio Select Soccer League. We are not doing any paid outside training, but play a lot at home and play futsal and indoor in the winter.

From the club website, it looks like most age groups have about the same training until they get to u15 when they add a day. Some of our older club teams play in the Buckeye Premier Legue and those teams cost $350 per season.

3. nicklaino

nicklaino Member

Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If it is an good club and they play in the best age division. 3 days a week for 2 or 2 and a haft hours a practice before the season starts. Then when the season starts two practice days a week again for 2 hours or two and a half hours a practice is about right. Then they still practice at home.

4. soccermom79

soccermom79 Member

Club:
    FC Barcelona
    My son's u10 team(and all their teams through u14) have 2 teams practices at 1.5 hours, with the option of 2 more practices also at 1.5 hours(most people do 2 or 3 practices a week). 10 games a season, plus 1 to 2 tournaments. Winter was 2 trainings at 1.5 hours a week, 1 day of only futsal scrimmages at 1.5 hours, 1 wall ball game on Saturday, 1 futsal game every other Sunday. For indoor my son also played with 1 other team in one of the city leagues(this team did not have practices), and he would play with his club's u11 and u12 teams(limited playing time, maybe 15 minutes out of each 40 minute game). So essentially, with opportunities just with his club he could practice 4 days a week, and play 3 to 4 games on the weekend(winter only, fall and spring there is only occasional sharing of players for games..only if a team is going to be short players, not to stack a team or anything like that), and this is for all teams u8 on up. There are plenty of people that just do the 2 days/1 game a week, but many choose to do more as well.

5. nicklaino

nicklaino Member

Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Curious how may friendly games besides regular season games do they play?

6. soccermom79

soccermom79 Member

Club:
    FC Barcelona
    My older son(u14)'s team usually play 1 or 2 before each outdoor season. I don't think my younger son's team ever has. My younger son's team did play 5 futsal games this winter which would have been considered friendlies. Unless you consider playing against other teams from their same club, in which they do that at least once a week during practice, but not quite the same thing(usually just 20 minutes or so at the end of practice instead of scrimmaging against themselves, they scrimmage one of the teams close to their age/ability).

7. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    DC United
    United States
    My son's first club team used to play a lot of friendly scrimmages. The second one rarely did, but the current one really does them a lot. One thing they do, every winter and every summer they play in an informal non-competitive league set up by a guy who arranges all the park permits and refs; coaches use these games for training and to try out possible new players. It's really great.

8. dcole

dcole Member+

I've never even heard of a 2-2.5 hour training session. Is that common?

Our club does four, 1.5 hour training sessions per week for all teams U10 and up, for a total of 6 hours of formal traning per week. Most weeks they play one game, with tournaments book-ending the season.

9. rhrh

rhrh Member

Club:
    AC Milan
    My son's old coach (who was a great trainer but a poor coach on game day) used to have 2 hour practices scheduled for twice per week, but he got the last time slot so practices could go to 3 hours or more. That was a community soccer club, and he was a volunteer coach although he did have a C license.

10. goscore!

goscore! New Member

Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Anyone here in Cal South? I'd like to hear how many hours/week those kids are doing - as of right now there is a possibility that a CAS team could win the Dallas Cup in youth every age (not in Mens U19). What are they doing?

11. nicklaino

nicklaino Member

Club:
    Manchester United FC
    12 years old 2 hours training the other half hour break the team up and play against each other. Or you can do and hour and half and break the team up and play against each other for a half hour

12. nicklaino

nicklaino Member

Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We tried to have an equal number of friendlies as we had league games.

rhrh repped this.
  13. coachd24

coachd24 New Member

Club:
    RC Lens
    A lot of it just depends on field availability. It's hard to hit in some practices with so many teams using the same field. From my experience the standard is usually 2 practices at 1.5 hours with a 10 game season and 2-3 tournaments (an extra 6-10 games). Ideally for youth teams I think 3x a week would be ideal as you could split it up into 2 technical practices with 1 gameplay/tactical session to teach them about the fluidity of the game. Remember, almost 99% of kids will not turn pro so the biggest thing is to not burn them out so I think that around 10hrs/week would be great for a youth team U9-U14. U15+ the kids usually wont mind more practices because they love it and are already thinking varsity/college/pros. Fortunately, most of the top players around my area will go to their practice 2-3x a week and head to turf fields around the area to play in pickup games the other 3-4.

Moderators: bigredfutbol