1. Save 40-80% on great soccer jerseys. Shop today at BigSoccer Shop!

How to break in cleats?

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by thegoatherder13, Aug 4, 2004.

1. thegoatherder13

thegoatherder13 New Member

What are some of the best ways to break in cleats?

2. Sky_

Sky_ New Member

I would like to know too, my new cleats are US 9 whereas I normally wear 9.5. It's a snug fit, not too tight but I figure after they break in they will be awesome.

3. Middle Of The Shed

Middle Of The Shed New Member

I'm guessing you just do some running in them, you know, sprints and probaly some ball work for a few weeks in short periods (maybe 30 mins I don't really know, or until your feet start hurting!:D) until you feel they are suitable to use for matches.

4. thegoatherder13

what about taking a shower in them? I heard this works?

5. Middle Of The Shed

I doubt it. It will probaly just mess up your boots.

6. McKinney_Burn

McKinney_Burn New Member

I have heard about this too, but never tried it for fear of jacking them up.

7. goalhappy27

goalhappy27 New Member

i think it only works with the vapors

8. belfrageisapimp02

belfrageisapimp02 New Member

play in the rain with ur new boots...might make em dirty but breaks in super nicely, espec. with nike leather boots

9. WV bobcat

WV bobcat New Member

I always wear my new cleats in the shower. It stretches them if they are a little small or just makes them a better fit. After you wear them, let them air dry or stuff them with newspaper to keep the shape.

10. C. Ronaldo7

C. Ronaldo7 New Member

Just play in them.

11. Richie #11

Richie #11 New Member

Yeah, just wear them at every opportunity, with a good leather pair it shouldn't take long for them to adapt to your feet. Don't play a match in them straight away though, just training until they become comfortable.

12. l<i×6

l<i×6 New Member

taking a shower in em does work i did it with my copas and they fit awesome....like a sock.

13. Middle Of The Shed

I would have thought it would have ruined them wearing them in a shower, especially the insides.

14. m7792

m7792 Member

Do you wear socks when you do this?
    could I just put on my Predators and just soak them under water and then leave them on until they dry?

how many times do you do this?

15. thegoatherder13

I don't know. I mean as long as you dont use soap and stuff it should be fine right? Ive never had my cleats ruined when playing out in the rain. Kind of the same thing right?

16. Middle Of The Shed

I guess it is sorta the same. Try it if you want just be careful not to get too much water in your boot, I'm pretty sure that could ruin your boots if you do.

17. JRstriker12

JRstriker12 New Member

Breaking shoes in by getting them wet (shower, rain, etc.) only works with leather shoes. Shoes made out of systhetics, such as the vapors, do not absorb water and will not stretch.

I break in shoes just by wearing them. I usually put a little leather food on them before I wear them.

18. goalhappy27

goalhappy27 New Member

it doesnt make them stretch..it just allows them to form to your feet better.

19. viperman5000

viperman5000 New Member

I wore my shoes in the shower to get a better fit (w/out socks). I was wearing a pair of R9 Mercurials (silver,blue). Then I just stuffed 'em with news paper to soak up excess water and to strecth them out a bit. Afterwards, they were the best shoes I ever bought (until I grew out of them).

20. kpboom2552

kpboom2552 New Member

The very best way to break in new cleats (especially with kangaroo leather) is to take a hot bath in them with or without socks. I've done it twice and they feel great. And afterwards stuff them with newpaper.

21. Becks7

Becks7 Member

i just broke in a pair of size 8.5 World Cups (i wear a size 9 Mania/Pulse)

i soaked them for 20 mins in warm water, wear with socks/undersocks etc for at least another 20. If possible go and have a little kick around, go through your paces etc

you can't break in shoes without wearing them in practice etc but you can faciliate the break in with the method i described above.

frankly if boots weren't made to get wet, they'd be like tits on a bull!!!

22. Middle Of The Shed

Yes, but when boots get wet on a field they are not being as soaked as maybe when you sit in the bath for 20 minutes. I still prefer just playing in them for maybe 30 mins a day to slowly break them in.

23. kpboom2552

kpboom2552 New Member

Another good thing about soaking your cleats is that you wont get blisters

24. korean_striker

korean_striker New Member

hello,
    here's my method of madness.

1. put leather protector / softener on (kelme makes a pretty good brand)

2. let them dry for 24 hrs.

3. take a wet wash cloth (not dripping, but not completely rung out) and go over your boots.

4. put on your boots and wear them around the house a bit to stretch them out.

5.Use them on the pitch for about 30min a day to help stretch them out.

-I know it sounds like a lot of steps but it seems to work for me.

I hope it works for you too!

25. PSsoccer123

PSsoccer123 New Member

Thanks for the showering info. I have Air Zoom III's but I have a very narrow foot and the entire out side is cutting into my foot the whole way around my ankle. I have had them for three weeks and played with them everyday and have tried every type of tape, socks, and vasoline. I played with them at a camp and I sucked because of the Air Zooms. My foot is a 10 1/2 but the shoes I had before the Air Zooms were Nike Talarias that are 9 1/2 so even though there is that big a size difference, would it still work if I showered with the Talarias? Thanks!