1. Save 40-80% on great soccer jerseys. Shop today at BigSoccer Shop!

Hugo Chavez -- the gift that just keeps giving

Discussion in 'International News' started by Anthony, Jan 20, 2009.

Moderators: Ismitje
  1. Anthony

Anthony Member

Club:
    DC United
    United States
    Around the world on inauguration day, it is not all simles and laughs. Everyone's favorite commedian, Hugo Chavez, who moonlights as a president, is not buying into the Obama hype.

In fact, Chavez's keen sense of smell is working overtime on Obama.

Ah, Hugo. I wonder what my soon to be Senator Kennedy thinks about him, considering that her cousin and Chavez are BFFs.

In any event Hugo, oil fell below $34 this morning. More trouble as your FARC buddies are now all in prison and Vlad does not take Visa in return for jets.

If Sean Penn has to choose between Hugo and Barry, who does he pick (Sean, I'd go with Barry, he is much better looking and his long term prospects much brighter)

2. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

While Chavez has his own colorful way of putting things, his assessment is not unique. There are already many voices saying the same thing: That Obama's promise of change notwithstanding, he has shown that the path he will pursue will be more of the same.

Interestingly, but obviously for different reasons, even John Bolton would agree.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123086106688148103.html
    Obama Promises Bush III on Iran

3. Mr. Warmth

Mr. Warmth Red Card

Club:
    Chicago Fire
    United States
    Hugo Chavez. Desperately trying to stay relevant.

4. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Bolivia
    Let's analyze in very clear terms why you, Chavez, Ahmadinejihad and other world crackpots are so intent on preemptively striking Obama before he becomes Prez: because you're about to lose the propaganda war. Bush was hated and it was easy to win this war against him. But the whole world loves Obama because he will bring something different. Now it could be that Chavez and Ahmadinejihad know better than everybody else, but if they were that smart, their countries wouldn't be stagnant, largely isolated shitholes.

5. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

You don't know anything about Iran, no matter how many "Kiarostami movies" you have seen! Indeed, people like you are the easiest ones to convert through just one visit to the actual country as opposed to the one they imagine.

In any case, Ahmadinejad was hardly alive, much less in power, when the west began to outpace the Islamic world and became the dominant civilization. And while some propose a vision of Iran being a follower, going in the footsteps of other "developing countries" that have taken that route and enjoyed marginal success at it, Iran's destiny is greater. For many times longer than America has existed as a nation, Iran has been a dominant, influential, power in the world. And that is a position it is destined to reclaim again, not because of Ahmadinejad, but because the past 2 hundred years have been largely an aberration in world history. Both with regard to Iran's role and place in world affairs, as well as the role and place of the Middle East.

I won't comment on Chavez and Venezuela, as that is for Venezuelans to comment on. On you more substantive point, however, I grant you that Obama can become a more formidable enemy. Alas, he will be only an enemy because he will be led in that direction by your real masters. Odd that the direction a superpower takes in the world is so hugely influenced and determined by what people in a colonial outpost created in the west think. But we have seen plenty of odd things and have more to see still.

6. Anthony

Anthony Member

Club:
    DC United
    United States
    Actually, the real masters are the Jewish geese. Do you think it a coincidence that 4000 Jewish geese in NYC took the dasy off last Thursday? I don't.

In any event, I voted for the other guy. You may be surprised that my main reason is the belief that within 6 months of today, President Obama will give an order and things will start blowing up in Iran. And while I find your country a threat to mine, I prefer dealing with it in a different way.

7. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

:rolleyes:

I am not surprised that you voted for the "other guy". But I am sure your reason was not the one your pretend. Notwithstanding that I believe that you might think that Obama would be taken on the same path that McCain would have been taken against Iran regardless.

But don't worry. These wet dreams you hear from the quarters you are accustomed to hanging around with will not come to pass. Iran is quite capable of detering any such notions.

8. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator Staff Member

IM - bringing Iran into any and every thread NOT involving Iran is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo old.

I do wish Chavez would join the Dark Side already.

9. Anthony

Anthony Member

Club:
    DC United
    United States
    This must be a record though -- he threadjacked on the first reply.

About Chavez, yes he is popular, but it is easy to be popular of an oil producing country when oil is at $140/bbl. At $34/bbl, it is a bit more difficult (and considering that Venezuelan oil is high in sulfur content and needs special refining that is more costly than say Brent or Saudi crude, it is even more difficult). At heart, Chavez is a bully and a fascist and it will catch up to him.

Sorry, I smell sulfur. I think it is almost time for lunch.

10. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

I wanted to liven up the non-existant conversation here.:rolleyes:

Besides, Chavez's first attack on Obama had to do with Iran. And if you were following his comments closely enough, you would realize that his beef with Obama has much to do with Iran.
    http://www.indianexpress.com/news/chavez-slams-very-bad-signals-from-obama-to-iran/390370/

11. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Bolivia
    [​IMG]

12. Anthony

Anthony Member

Club:
    DC United
    United States
    Now that IM has managed to get this to an all Iran all the time thread, I see that President Obama has pledged a new way forward on foreign policy.

I assume item number one is to postpone construction of the missile defense site in Poland (a decision I would agree with).

As for dealing with Iran, I hope I am wrong regarding the events of the next six months. If I were president, I would sit down with President Dinner Jacket and read the following from the Godfather peace conference scene:

Don Corleone:
    Edited to add -- that did not take long -- http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/slideshow/photo//090120/481/ad3e27d8163447e68c72b84770d23815/

13. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

I am sure I managed that all by myself:rolleyes:
    Our of curiousity, are your reasons along the same lines as what Ehud Barak was recently suggesting?

Barak: West must unite with Russia, China against Iran
    I can see where you got your idea from, but I think you are probably wrong. Lets pray that is the case.
    There are a lot of people who have lined up to beat up on your son, Don Carleone; but when he dies, his death will be from natural causes.

14. Anthony

Anthony Member

Club:
    DC United
    United States
    The first reply. THE FIRST FRIGGING REPLY! That is a record even for you.

No. I have felt this way for a while, and it frankly has far more to do with the US-European relationship than Iran. Face it, not everything on the planet revolves around Iran. Just accept that.

Russia has been kicked out of Eastern Europe and I am happy about that. The USSR no longer exists and I am extremely happy about that. Russia is no real threat to the US unless we make her and her nuclear arsenal a threat. To the extent Russia is a threat to anyone, it is to Europe, especially the successor states. Russia has been kicked down and needs some respect. The best way to protect the eastern states is to reintegrate Russia into Europe. Belgium exists happily alongside Germany and France, two countries that could if they wished crush her. That is the result I am hoping for in the east.

As for the missile defense system, 10 interceptors and a radar are no threat to Russia. Russia is just using it as pretext and exeryone knows that. So instead, I would propose postponing construction with the understanding that IF (i) Iran develops a long range missile AND (ii) develops a nuclear or other WMD, we will work to build it then (and yes, if they wish, include Russia in the shield)

Well, I certainly hope so.

Fine, but others have tried to kill off the Jews and failed. They have a way of persevering.

But it goes beyond, far beyond Israeli. I would make it clear that if some terrorist group no one ever heard of sets of a nuclear weapon anywhere in the world, we are going to look first at Iran. So you better be careful what you do. Otherwise, frankly, I really do not care what you do to each other.

15. argentine soccer fan

argentine soccer fan Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Chavez is sadly predictable, but it will be interesting to see how other South American leaders deal with Obama. GW Bush made an easy scapegoat, and our political leaders knew how to make the most of it. But now it's a whole new ballgame. While South Americans still have issues with the US, most seem to genuinely like Obama.

I don't recall an American president being so popular in South America. The level of dislike varies, but they're usually all disliked. Possibly JFK might have been liked, but that was before my time. So, It will be interesting to see how things develop.

16. argentine soccer fan

argentine soccer fan Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    What the hell, if we can make this about Iran, lets make it about Argentina.

Cristina Kirchner is in Cuba today, and she chose this day to demand that the US stop the embargo of Cuba. I bet you guy didn't know that.

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/nota.asp?nota_id=1091652&pid=5717993&toi=6476

"The 'commercial fence' that the US has erected around Cuba for several decades is unprecedented in the history of the world".

"The world has definitely changed, and some have still not realized it."

"We expect that some barriers will be torn down and that you (Cubans) can reach your economic potential"

To paraphrase Ms. Kirchner's words:

"Mr. Obama, tear down this wall!"

President Kirchner makes me so proud, fighting for free trade! :D

17. Anthony

Anthony Member

Club:
    DC United
    United States
    I would search for an Italian-American angle, but I don't think Obama ever owned an IROC (and I am also convinced he is really Irish with the name Barry O'Bama).

So I will then go with the Catholic angle.

48 YEARS AND FINALLY ANOTHER CATHOLIC WINS!

WOO HOO BIDEN! (a fellow SU Law alum I would add -- Go Orange!)

And IM, fear Joe Biden's weaponized Rosary beads! -- America's real secret weapon!

18. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Darn, darn, a little thing called invention, enlightenment, and progress spoiled everything for you. Iran will become relevant again when it's leadership abandons its 8th century mentality.

19. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Club:
    Chicago Fire
    United States
    See you don't understand,

wait for it.........................

IRAN invented Chavez!!!!

20. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

I have referred to Robert Baer's book, The Devil We Know: Dealing with the New Iranian Superpower a few times in various discussions the past few months. I do not accept some of the arguments in that book; however, there is one part that touches on the perceptions that are widely held by many who don't know Iran, and reflected in your comment as well, that I like to highlight for you. In doing so, let me assure you that Iran's "mentality" is very much 21st century. That part is not even an issue regardless of faction and political alignments in Iran.

What is more at issue is whether Iran will be able find a way to traverse a similar path as the one you mention, going through its own rennaisance and then enlightment of its own, not satisfield merely with just a commercial and industrial revolution on the back of someone else's heritage? This aspect of Iran's revolution, however, is its most difficult challenge. And while I live here and see every day the possibilities inherent in various strains of the ideology informing its revolution, I admit that Iran has not even scratched the surface yet on this the most difficult part of the challenge it faces. At the same time, no other country in the world, and no other ideology (if and when Iran's is properly and coherently framed), offers the same possibility. The rest of the challengers are mere imitations, and often cheap and very imperfect ones, of the ideology that Francis Fukiyama was confident had ended history.

But to quote Robert Baer:

21. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Club:
    Chicago Fire
    United States
    iran a superpower? ROTFLMAO!!!!!!

Let us all know when iran can build homes to withstand massive 3.0 earthquakes, and when they as an oil rich country, can figure out how to refine it into gas so they don't have to import it! LOL!!!!

Lets see, what else, ah your little proxy hamas just got there heads handed to them by Israel. And while that was going on, hezbollah fired only a couple of weak rockets into Israel knowing that this time if they started something they would face a far different Israel, one that wouldn't be cowed by International Pressure to take it easy on them.

Right now as powers go in the ME, the US is the largest Power by far in terms of influence and military, Israel is second, and then most likely SA, but only because the US props them up. Then iran, iraq, and the rest of the bunch.

22. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

Club:
    Columbus Crew
    United States
    Excellent, another market to exploit!

By the way, notice how us dumb yanks have an exchange of power? Take notes.

23. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Club:
    Chicago Fire
    United States
    Hey there is money to be made there so lets get it done!
    Cuban cigars, easier road for Cuban players to play in MLB. Hell I say we turn Gitmo into a major resort and move the Military out.

24. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Fine. But it makes it harder to do so when the entire project is premised ostensibly on countering Iran's missile "threat". And when, not just Ehud Barak, but many close to Israel, have been writing columns and op-ed pieces suggesting that this European "missile defense" should be an easy card for the US to trade in return for Russia's cooperation against Iran.
    The problem is not with the Jews preserving. Since the Jews and the Persians are indeed two nations that have preserved for several millenia, albeit going through very different experiences, while so many others have vanished or merely exist in name.

But Israel has not preserved in the past and it will not preserve on the back of the ideology that brought it back to the Middle East. There is a way to have a Jewish homeland in the Middle East still, but it would require a fundamental change in its conception and definition. And in its relationship with the rest of the region with whom it will have to one day learn to live in peace. Or perish.

I cannot believe any intelligent person would fall for this childish argument that Iran would allow any group to be armed with nuclear weapons! That is preposterous on its face. Leaving aside the fact that Iran does not have any intention of letting these groups be able to threaten Iran itself, nuclear weapons come with a much clearer address. There are much easier to trace to a nation-state like Iran than chemical or biological weapons. Has Iran equiped anyone with chemical or biological weapons, which would be harder to trace to Iran as the technology involved is not that complicated or exclusive, for Iran to equip "terrorist groups" with such weapons? Iran's closest ally, Hezbollah, is not even supplied with Iran's latest conventional weapons. Whoever are these "terrorists" you allude to, Iran will not be arming them with any nuclear weapons. There is not even a doubt about it in my mind.

25. Jorge Amnesia

Jorge Amnesia Member+

Club:
    Union Berlin
    Mexico
    You guys amuse me. :D Mr. Chavez and fellow chavistas like myself thank you for all the time and effort you devote to him. But seriously you need to lay off his nuts a little. Thank You.

Moderators: Ismitje