Interesting story about NASL and Canadian Expansion

Discussion in 'NASL Expansion' started by carnifex2005, Mar 15, 2010.

1. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    First story from Ben Rycroft at Metro. Basically reporting about NASL's plans on "aggressive" Canadian expansion and analysis of the story at 24th Minute. Certainly seems like a no brainer. Hopefully NASL can follow the MLS example of trying to get their new owners to have 6 to 10 K SSS ready before expanding.

2. EstebanLugo

EstebanLugo Member

Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Colombia
    Respuesta: Interesting story about NASL and Canadian Expansion

US Soccer has already made its decission and still no word from Ottawa.
  3. argentumLingua

argentumLingua Member

Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Canada
    Re: Respuesta: Interesting story about NASL and Canadian Expansion

I've been telling my wife that my decision to get Impact season tickets has as much to do with my interest in watching the Impact develop into the MLS as it has to do with my interest in watching the NASL develop. The reaction the NASL got a few months ago was one of excitement. Strangely, though MLS is still first in this area of the world, people were excited to see the NASL emerge as it was a sign of hope for soccer in North America. If the NASL does indeed enter the Canadian markets mentioned, it would be as close as Canadians would come to a Canada-specific soccer league. Great stuff either way.
  4. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    Toronto FC
    Canada

And would make most soccer fans forget about the Canadian Soccer League from more than 20... oh wait, we did forget about it. My bad! :D

(Man, I know I'm going to hell for that!)

5. argentumLingua

argentumLingua Member

Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Canada

A Canadian league in general is a good idea as long as it gives power to the owners, has a salary cap and isn't pretentious in any way. Something like the CFL but soccer could work.

However, I would much rather include American cities in the league. Mostly because of the lack of big markets within the one country.
  6. FlipsLikeAPancake

FlipsLikeAPancake Member+

Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    United States
    I would like it if NASL become a largely Canadian league. I bet you'd see a lot more stability in division 2 if Ottawa, Edmonton, Calgary, Quebec City, Hamilton and Winnipeg were a part of it. I think there's more interest per capita in Canada and cities are more willing to support "minor" league soccer.

Unfortunately, the USSF has set a pretty high standard for division 2 soccer in the US, including a requirement that to get sanctioning, a league needs to have at least 75% American teams. If I were the Canadian Soccer Federation I'd be pretty pissed.
  7. RedRover

RedRover BigSoccer Supporter

The CSA wouldn't know where to find it's own ass if you pointed it at them. They are the most colossaly inept soccer federation in the world.
  8. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Yea, You gotta feel for Canadian Soccer fans,
  9. Taly

Taly Member

Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    United States
    As a USMNT fan, I am glad that we don't have their problems.;)
  10. bullsear

bullsear Member

Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Will the 10 month ban on new teams to play in American leagues have any affect on this NASL strategy? It seems like the CSA really wants a viable option below MLS and above the CSL, and it might be to the detriment of good owners who want in on NASL.

What would be better for Canada? NASL or another new league?

Source: CanadianSoccerNews.com
  11. winster

winster Member

Club:
    Besiktas JK
    United States
    If US Soccer's guidelines get in the way of NASL, couldn't the Canadian Fed just sanction NASL and give licenses to American teams to play in it?
  12. FlipsLikeAPancake

Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    United States
    No. Each team needs to be licensed by the country it comes from.
  13. bullsear

bullsear Member

Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    And if the USSF doesn't sanction the league, then no American player who plays in the league is eligible to play for the US national team.
  14. gantry

gantry Member

Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    United States
  15. bullsear

bullsear Member

Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    It sounds like Ottawa were pretty blindsided by the CSA's announcement that they wouldn't certify Canadian teams in US leagues, but now I hear the team owners have word that the SA won't block certification if they get their house in order. Good news for both the club and for NASL.
  16. MikDonsen

MikDonsen New Member

Club:
    Toronto FC
    This is good, Canada is prime for NASL.

We have no league of our own.
    We have a list of ten cities too small for mls.
    Aside from hockey(winter) there isn't much resistance to soccer.
    In general were not fixated on having a "major" league team.

Calagary, edmonton, winnepeg, ottawa, quebec, hamilton, halifax, and a second team in toronto could easily be supported.
  17. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member

Club:
    Austin Aztex
    United States
    Except for the small problem of the USSF rules requiring 3/4 of the NASL (or whatever division 2 league there is) being in the US. So before you get teams in all 10 of those Canadian cities, you'll need to have 30 US-based NASL teams.

That's going to take a little while;)
  18. Jossed

Jossed Member

Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Yeah, the USSF rules for D2 sanctioning prohibit any influx of Canadian teams.

Actually, there is a current study looking into establishing a D2 league in Canada. Which ironically could compete with the NASL.

If established, FC Edmonton, if they are still around, and Ottawa could be prime candidates to move. And the markets you mentioned joining the league. There is hope that TFC, Montreal, and the Whitecaps would setup farm teams in this league. There is also a possibility of adding U.S. based teams. The results will be announced sometime early next year.
  19. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    United States
    I wonder if there ever are two D2 leagues, one in the US and one in Canada, if they could technically operate as separate entities, sanctioned by each country, but operate under the NASL banner. Have and American League and Canadian League that play each other in a common season. Would be interesting.
  20. FlipsLikeAPancake

Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    United States
    drSoFlaFan, that's an interesting idea. Maybe have a Canadian conference. Or have them be separate leagues but with regular friendlies and then have the winners play each other. That wold be cool.
  21. Gaboo

Gaboo Member

Club:
    Fortuna Düsseldorf 1895
    Germany
    That sounds like a good idea. If there was a mutual understanding and close cooperation between the leagues, so that (very) northern US teams could join the Canadian 2nd division while a US 2nd division (NASL!?) runs the rest of the country (hopefully some day consolidated and including the stronger USL-Pro markets - wishful thinking at this point, I know!) and USL-Pro as a third tier (in the US at least, doing their locally-focused thing). Overall as the combined/shared first division is the MLS, of course!

Like that travel costs could be reduced and thus the feasibility and profitability of the leagues/teams raised. Everybody should recognize this to be a win-win situation for everyone involved and North America would have a proper soccer pyramid (even without promotion/relegation, of course and shared between the US and Canada).

The winners of the respective 2nd divisions could play each other to somehow link between the two 2nd division leagues or if you wanna take this further, they could even play out their individual winners in a balanced schedule (as in Supporter's Shield) and the top 2 or 3 teams of the respective 2nd divisions come together for playoffs to play out the combined 2nd division champion.
  22. CFL-fan

CFL-fan Member

Why Friendlies? have an interlocking schedule between the two leagues. It has been done before. Way back in 1965-66 and again in 1967-68 the American Hockey League (basically in the Northeast US with 9 teams the first season and 8 the second season) played an interlocking schedule with the Western Hockey League (a minor pro league on the west coast of the US and Canada with 6 teams the first season and 5 the second).

Games counted in the standings for both leagues. However, there was no playoff between the two league champions.
  23. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Ireland Republic
    If that happens, the Rhinos could move over to the new NASL/D2. A derby with Quebec City might rekindle some of the old magic of the clashes with the impact. Reduced travel costs to other cities in (more) Eastern Canada - like Hamilton - would help. Might even make a revival of Syracuse and/or an upgrade of Pittsburgh more interesting to investors.
  24. Smoke & Mirrors

Smoke & Mirrors Member

Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Germany
    DR, I floated this exact same idea a number of months ago around here somewhere. Can't remember the thread though. Anyway, I just wonder if the USSF would be ameanable to it, as long as the US "Conference" still met their D2 guidelines. That would get tough though if they kept the expansion and time zone rules in place. Also, you'd have to wonder about there being enough viable markets in Canada I'd think. Although, if they were to allow the Canadian MLS teams to field reserve teams in the league, that would certainly help.
  25. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member

Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Canada
    I don't think a standalone Canadian league will work. We want to play US teams and be in a league with them. Not interested in Canadian teams only playing Canadian teams.

I hope more Canadian teams join the NASL and USSF rules on 75% US teams composition hopefully can be provisionally suspended for 1 or 2 years in order to stabilize and build the league. I'm sure Quebec City, Hamilton, and Victoria would be strong markets for the NASL.

Otherwise a NASL league with Canadian and US divisions WITH interlocking schedule could also work.