Left Footed Players - Question

Discussion in 'Player' started by Daniel96, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Daniel96

Daniel96 Member

Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Brazil
    Why do people always say left footed players are good?

Because I am a left footed soccer player, and everyone that finds out are always suprised about it. and this other person said left footers are meant to be really good.

Part from kicking with my left, what makes me so different to a right foot player? :confused:

Thanks

2. Impossible6

Impossible6 Member

Club:
    Central Coast Mariners
    I've never heard that left footed players are good by default. They aren't, they have no chance of being better then a right footer. People that tell you this just get the stereotype from Messi and Maradonna most likely.
  3. JonIsAnOwl

JonIsAnOwl Member

Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    England
    I'm a left-footer, and have been told by academy coaches that technically left-footers are excellent. I don't know if there is any truth in this at all, but if you take a look through many teams you will see set-piece takers who are left-footed etc. You could argue that they are aiming for inswinging/outswinging but I think it runs true.

As Impossible says, Messi, Maradona etc were left-footed. It is similar to left-handed people; they 'apparently' use different parts of their brain, and are spatially aware, and better at things such as Art. I think this can also be applied to left-footed individuals.
  4. Daniel96

Daniel96 Member

Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Brazil
    Maybe its because left footers are rare.

But my coach always plays me on the Left wing to cross, or right wing to cut in, with the outside of my foot.

5. Vaporism

Vaporism Member

Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think this is why, because they're rare, it automatically gives you the label of being special because it is uncommon.

Although, they say most left footers and handers are more commonly ambidextrous because of the use of right handed objects and actions (such as using can openers, etc.) through their life growing up.

But I don't see how you could be any different to a right footer, there have been many great right footers as well as left footers.
  6. Daniel96

Daniel96 Member

Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Brazil
    ye left footers rare, because im the only left footer on my team. And I am really good at cutting in.

I am Right Handed, but Left footed.
  7. ChapacoSoccer

ChapacoSoccer Member

Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    My son is left footed/right handed and I wonder if that combination is created by playing soccer really early. I think he is left foot dominant because he started playing when he could walk and he needed to balance on his right to kick. But now he is clearly a left footer. So maybe quite a few left footers are created this way?
  8. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    United States
    I suspect that left-footers become good because they have more opportunities early in life. More minutes, because coaches want them on the field, and more set pieces, because teams want at least one left-footed player standing over a dead ball. Of course, all else being equal, more practice means more technical ability.
  9. Chicharito352

Chicharito352 Member

Club:
    Real Madrid
    Mexico
    Most of my schools team is left footed. Because like someone said they are uncommon when rightfooted people defend leftfooters there some sort of disbalance(so I've read).
  10. Daniel96

Daniel96 Member

Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Brazil
    I Started playing with a soccer ball when i was really young, before i can even remember. Because my whole family is into soccer.
    But i actually started playing in club competition when i was 7 years old.
  11. b0sk1

b0sk1 Member

Club:
    Manchester United FC
    United States
    I know plenty of left footers that are terrible. I think when they are younger they probably get more playing time because the coach will stick the left footers on the left side of the pitch. I also think most left footed players do not develop their right foot kicking ability because they think because they are left footed they are "special". Being left footed on set pieces is only beneficial on one side of the pitch. Just my thoughts.
  12. rca2

rca2 Member

Who cares if a "left footed" player is technically superior to a "right footed" player--or not. Using only one foot is a technical weakness. Whether its a right or left foot is unimportant. If you have two feet, use them both. There is no reason for a healthy player to practice ball skills with only one foot.
  13. JonIsAnOwl

JonIsAnOwl Member

Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    England
    Quite unfair to generalise so much.
  14. b0sk1

b0sk1 Member

Club:
    Manchester United FC
    United States
    no no, trust me I've seen plenty of crazy good left footed players as well. what i'm trying to illustrate is that just because one is left footed doesn't mean you are better than a equally as skilled right footed player. i mean are left handed bowlers better than right handed, no

the point i'm making is that at a younger age a left footed player will probably get the nod because he/she is left footed. i can speak from experience as a coach. we had a player on the team (the only natural left footed player) whom was a automatic choice on the left wing because well he was left footed and i needed someone who could whip in a cross with his left. after the players started to develop I phased him out because I had naturally right footed players who had developed good enough lefts/overall skill that they were better than him. it almost seemed like he got complacent and his spot was always going to be his. i ended up having to cut him.

basically the main thing is, which I'm sure we all can agree on, is develop both feet
  15. ChapacoSoccer

ChapacoSoccer Member

Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    so it sounds like you didn't rotate a player around to different spots to develop him? sounds like there is blame to go around in that case.
  16. b0sk1

b0sk1 Member

Club:
    Manchester United FC
    United States
    I disagree. Every other players skill level drastically surpassed his. Basic skills like crossing, trapping, etc. Skills that we worked on at practice not based on positions. I should also note this was not a rec league team. We were a travel team that were consistently in the top 16 of the state. I had better players on the team that could play the positions he could/wanted to play and had better kids trying out for the team that deserved the spot.
  17. rca2

rca2 Member

When a player doesn't progress it is a coaching failure, and a youth coach is responsible for player development, but that doesn't make it the coaches fault every time a player doesn't progress. Coaches only coach; the player has to put in the effort.
  18. ChapacoSoccer

ChapacoSoccer Member

Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    sure, but I think rotating the player around is a basic requirement for development. Helps the player see where they are weak. Might supple some motivation. I've only coached the younger ages, but I've had a fair amount of coaches tell me the older kids should rotate positions as well.