Liberty University Students to Mitt: "You're Not Christian"

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Cascarino's Pizzeria, Apr 24, 2012.

1. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Club:
    DC United
    Vanuatu
    I believe Dante put Muslims in the 6th circle of hell because he considered them Christian heretics.

Of course the only reason any of you are not Arians and the councils of Chalcedon & Nicaea aren't minor footnotes in history is because the Franks defeated the Goths in Gaul in the 5th & 6th centuries & the Byzantines did the same to the Vandals in North Africa in the 6th. :)

Of course this is better suited for the history forum.

2. argentine soccer fan

argentine soccer fan Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    In Argentina we basically grew up knowing that there were two types of people. The Catholics and the lost. I got a lot of grief because my mother's family were protestant.
  3. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria Member+

And the Mormons are making great strides in South America. Don't you have to stop drinking coffee if you're Mormon? How are they doing it?
  4. argentine soccer fan

Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Well, Mormons are considered strange over there, to a large extent for that reason (as well as for riding their bikes in a suit and tie). Not nearly as strange as the Jehovah Witnesses, though.

But they are having quite a bit of success as you say. Part of the reason is that they tend to be very polite, which combined with Argentina's culture of hospitality means that they easily get what they want, which is to get invited into somebody's home. Once there, they know what to do.

5. Barbara

Barbara Where is Rickon?

Club:
    DC United
    United States

Yep, that's pretty much it. I learned early on not to expect most things church-related to make sense.

Speaking of schisms, I wonder if American Catholics are on the way to causing one.
  6. Barbara

Barbara Where is Rickon?

Club:
    DC United
    United States
    So yeah, sorry for blaspheming.

I'm imagining a story about a three-way with Jesus, Mary Magdelene and Scully. Or maybe Jesus, Captain Picard & Deanna Troi.

And the Last Supper could have turned into an amazing gay orgy what with Jesus being all "Eat me, you ********ers!"
  7. American Brummie

American Brummie Member+

Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    United States
    Re: So yeah, sorry for blaspheming.

And there goes another bit of my childhood innocence...
  8. Barbara

Barbara Where is Rickon?

Club:
    DC United
    United States

You know what's sad about this? I took the time to go to the googles to make sure I was spelling "Troi" right, when it seems I should have been worried about spelling "Magdalene" correctly.
  9. purojogo

purojogo Member

Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    United States
    wait..so Romney is "doctrinally" more like a Muslim, Gingrich and his four wives (you know he'd have married a 4th one after nomination/election) and yet Obama is the Muslim one!?!??! ,,,Too confusing...... this GOP of today....

plus they are asking people to stop drinking coffee, not 'mate', since no one would convert in Argentina if that were the case
  10. argentine soccer fan

Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    I'd say it's kind of hypocritical because Mate has more caffeine than tea, and close to coffee, but yeah, I've seen Mormons drink mate.

A bigger problem in Argentina is that mormons don't drink wine. That's true also of some evangelicals. In that aspect catholics have a huge advantage.
  11. purojogo

purojogo Member

Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    United States
    i heard many stories from Catholic school (where i had my elementary education) about many priests enjoying the wine from Eucharist just a tad too much...So it was basically following the teachings of the church back in those days :p
  12. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

In related news, a minor conclave of Village Idiots has proclaimed Carrottop, "Not full retard".
  13. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Bhutan

I have spent most of my adolescene fantasizing about Scully and/or Troi (I have actually written a, now lost, X-Files/Star Trek crossover fan fiction story :eek:. Strangely one without sex, it was about Scully and Mulder hunting Tribbles).

Anyway, as you can imagine, there was no innocence to be lost here for me :p
  14. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

United States
    You forgot an important phrase.

Unless you have a Pope to tell you what is truth, or Jesus H. Christ himself chooses to return to earth again to explain what a Christian is in detail to all of us heathens, I am not sure your theological line-in-the-sand is any more relevant than mine, Mitt's, or Mohammed's.
  15. JohnR

JohnR Member+

You'd be stoned in Saudi Arabia for writing this. Then again, you're from Portland, you know stoned.
  16. Barbara

Barbara Where is Rickon?

Club:
    DC United
    United States

Ha! I wish.

I wouldn't know how to get it even if I wasn't too old to appreciate it.
  17. JohnR

JohnR Member+

What I say about sex.
  18. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Club:
    Fulham FC
    United States

1. You live in Portland. It's trivial.
    2. You're never too old to appreciate it. ;)

And on topic, the thing that bothers me the most here is that somehow for these people being Christian is THE most important qualifier for being president. If that's the case, and we can extrapolate these students to their parents and other like-minded evangelicals, then a LOT of folks effectively have no one to vote for in this election. Obama being a Mooslim and all...
  19. MtMike

MtMike Member

Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    United States
    We've outlined our thoughts according to the Bible, which is the only real basis we have to go off for deciding what a Christian is. We're not debating is Christianity right, are all faiths equal, or relativism in general, just what is the definition of Christian. To do that, you have to use the book on which Christianity is based, the Bible, and more specifically, the New Testament and the words of Jesus.

If we're going to ascertain what a Muslim is, then you use the Koran, etc. It's the same thing.
  20. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Club:
    Fulham FC
    United States
    I think his point is that, barring everyone following a grand poobah of dogma, anyone can interpret the Bible generally, and the question of "What is a Christian?" specifically, for themselves and have as good a claim as others to be "right".

I assume you understand the logical fallacy of saying, "I'm a Christian, therefore I know better than Mitt or Mohammed what a Christian is," easily enough, right?
  21. minerva

minerva Member+

Club:
    Liverpool FC
    United States
    why interrupt this wonderful let's bash Christianity circle-jerk? aren't you enjoying it? they're clearly getting so much enjoyment out of it, and it's so easy to do it without being worried about being labeled as bigoted and closed-minded.
  22. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    United States

And it would have been the same response if Santorum were the commencement speaker.
  23. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Club:
    Fulham FC
    United States
    Who's painting with the broad brush now, Captain strawman?
  24. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

United States
    First, I really appreciate your ability to synthesize this doctrine into words. Its really helping me to understand where evangelicals are coming from. I have to admit, I have a hard time understanding ANY strict religion because it is so illogical to me.

In saying that, your posts have illustrated to two of the inconsistencies in evangelical thought:

1) All you need to do is declare yourself Christian and you'll be saved. Your actual deeds after declaring yourself (or frankly, before) do not matter. Obviously what it leads to is the gross hypocrisy we have seen in the actions of some evangelical christians.

I know you personally dont believe this, as you alluded in a previous post that its your personal opinion that Mother Theresa, through her actions, was probably a christian. But you have to admit that others are more doctrinaire and in their eyes, she wouldn't qualify and would not be admitted to heaven.

2) The other big problem with your definition is that biblical interpretation is fraught with inconsistincies and personal bias. We are human. It can't be avoided. Unless you have a Pope to tell you what it says, everybody is going to interpret as they see fit. It happens all the time.

One example is " a la carte" Biblical interpretation. For example..."I am going to accept as absolute truth that homosexuality is a sin because it says so in the Bible, but this whole thing about letting crops lie fallow every 7 years, or slavery is OK, or you can't sleep with a woman when she's menstruating....well I'll just ignore those inconvient ones."

Ever ask yourself why strict interpreters of the Bible only strictly interpret the sections that support their personal set of beliefs ?

If you believe in every word of the bible you are either all in or a hypocrite. Don't pick and choose.
  25. minerva

minerva Member+

Club:
    Liverpool FC
    United States
    I didn't paint anyone with any kind of brush. I simply made an observation (based on my subjective interpretation and understanding) about what was going on in the thread.