Match 4 Korea Republic vs. Greece: Pre-match / In-match discussion

Discussion in 'GROUP B: Argentina, Nigeria, South Korea, Greece' started by Moishe, Dec 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Re: Match 4 Korea Republic vs. Greece: Pre-match discussion

He's a sock.

2. GoYoungrokba

GoYoungrokba Member

Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Korea Republic

Don't listen to him. He just tries to troll.
  3. ShaRule

ShaRule Member

Korea will win , no doubt, Greece isn't that good and the way korea is playing right now..
  4. soccerer1978

soccerer1978 New Member

Club:
    Juventus FC

Theoretically these two teams will be the ones that will fight for the second position although you never know what to expect from the Greeks!!!

If you take a look at the statistics, Greece has an upgoing route for the past 7 years. They have showed great stability and this reflects to their position in Fifa's ranking. They used to be in the 10th position and after yesterday's draw against North Korea ended in the 13th position in the world!!

I think that the have a small advantage for the second position and to tell you the truth I wouldn't be surprised if the would take even the first one, taking into consideration that Argentina has no character and specific plan in their game. They more depend on 2-3 super players which they will have to be in good condition in order for them to win.

Bottom line the gane is more likely to go under 2.5 and in this case the Greeks have a PHD in taking the result they want...

5. Maruti

Maruti New Member

'Theorethically' Nigeria and Argentina should stroll through this group...

Greece: They have a PHD in getting results, but old age has hit them hard, they have become senile and they PHD knowledge is full of holes due to Alzheimers.

South Korea: Great team. I can see them causing a rumble and an upset or two.
  6. soccerer1978

soccerer1978 New Member

Club:
    Juventus FC

I don't really see your point because if you take a look at the statistics the team has the second youngest age average in the group - 26.75

Nigeria - 25.65 y.o
    Greece - 26.75 y.o
    Korea - 27.19 y.o
    Argentina -27.59

The Greek team has changed a lot since 2004. Basically only three players from this team are still playing but they kept the same style of playing due to Rehagel.

Nigeria is a team with great ups and downs and this is exactly what makes them a team difficult to "read" but this doesn't change the fact that Greece is a better team acoording to the statistics and what they have accomplish.
  7. Maruti

Maruti New Member

The old age thing was an allegory :) Just like your PHD comment.
    My thing is that Greece can't play like they did in 2004 anymore.

I know Greece is European Champ from 2002, but what exactly have Greece achieved apart from that? Losing 10 goals and scoring 0 in USA 1994? I'm sorry but Nigeria has achieved way more in international competitions.

And what statistics are we talking about? Like getting thrashed by Senegal in a friendly a couple of months ago???
  8. soccerer1978

soccerer1978 New Member

Club:
    Juventus FC

Sorry didn't understand that you didn't mean the thing with the age...:)

The thing is that I don't really see the African team to be in a good shape anyways...they have 2 draws and one defeat in the last 3 games they played as far as I remember...

Regarding the achievements, I am from the people that really enjoyed Greece's victory back in 2004 and to tell you the truth I don't believe it was totally lucky. They did have a good team and they have a good one now as well.

Even in the qualifying games for the Euro 2008 they were the team with the biggest amount of points earned ( I think 31 )
  9. Maruti

Maruti New Member

Actually its 2 wins and a draw.
  10. Moishe

Moishe Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Argentina

A whole lot of Nigeria talk in a match thread for Greece and Korea Republic. Can we please keep this thread on the proper topic and if we have a need to discuss Nigeria please do so in the appropriate thread. Thanks:)
  11. GoYoungrokba

GoYoungrokba Member

Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Korea Republic

Greece is still dangerous on set-pieces. We must have our hands full against their tall forwards. Avoid fouls around the box as much as possible.

We will also have to wear the Greeks down. Agility and stamina are where we have advantage over any team in this group. The faster the pace of the game becomes, the better we have a chance.
  12. Koreafan

Koreafan Member

I believe Korea is much more dangerous on the counter-attack imho and this great greek defense gave up two goals to North Korea(it ws a friendly, but still). Watching the greece - north korea game, i have a feeling that the pace and high-energy game of the koreans will be too much for the greeks to handle(im prob biased :p). And if Greece thinks North Korea is in a smiliar level to south korea, they will be sadly mistaken come world cup time.
  13. greekgooner

greekgooner Member

Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus

Greece is a team that can surprise you. If they happen to be focused and keep their shape on defense, they can hurt you badly.

That being said, I think Korea has the type of players to unlock Greece's defense.

Ji-Sung Park has an engine that goes for 90 minutes. They have other skill players from the EPL that have impressed on their outings like Lee-Chong from Bolton who I liked watching this year. They will try to play the ball through the middle so if really depends on how much space they'll have to work with. I think strategy wise, it'll be an interesting game to see how the formations are going to be set up.

But like I said, if Greece hurts you first, its an uphill climb no matter who you are. They just LOVE to sit back and bang the ball towards the flanks.

no matter who wins, it'll be 1-0 or 1-1.

I dont see alot of goals here.
  14. Koreafan

Koreafan Member

Yeah, i agree. It'll be a tight match between two disciplined sides.
  15. salamilover

salamilover New Member

It will a be great match.
    Both teams play very intense and it is not easy to predict the result.
  16. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    United States

What do you mean, troll? I said I believe Korea will beat Greece & I'm rooting for Korea to advance!!
  17. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

He's not talking about you.
  18. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    United States

Oh...ok. Sorry about the mix-up.
  19. nick_3f

nick_3f Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Greece

Difficult match. Dont expect Greeks to run against Korea.
    We will wait and counter attack. There is no way we gonna run against the crazy double speed Koreans! :p
    I hope for a nice game with a lot of chances, although i expect a draw mostly.
    Rehagel knows how to get results, maybe he will get this too.
    Greece's experience is a plus. Dont compare 94 and 2010. Many things have changed last years in Greek football. Greece will not fall easy for anyone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. mnoh312

mnoh312 New Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC

After watching both friendlies Greece against NK and South Korea against Belarus. I think both teams will have problems against eachother. Greece is weak to fast one touch football and Korea is weak to set pieces. As a Korean fan I'm pretty worried about Greece's ability in set pieces and corners. They look very dangerous against North Korea whenever they had a set play.. sad thing is we are not any better than NK in defendin set plays plus we give up way too many cheap fouls in our area..and losing probably our best CB today is not a good sign..

I dont think we will keep clean sheet in this game. Greece will score off set plays. Hopefully PJY and LCY can make a difference in this game.
  21. Jisung saeranghae

Jisung saeranghae Member

Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Korea Republic

yes i agree, a key for Korea is not to give up too many corners and free kicks near our net. Greece has a height advantage, but slow compared to our forwards.
  22. Utd16

Utd16 Member

Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Korea Republic

I think Korea needs to have fluid passing in order to beat the Greeks. If we played like we did against Ecuador/Japan or Belarus then we will for sure lose every single group match.

Our tactics needs to not be sloppy pass, short pass, long ball-> poor touch loses the ball, sloppy tackling. Because this was exactly how Korea played against Ecuador/Japan and Belarus. Hopefully now that we have our WC squad set we will actually see for the first time how our strongest XI does against Spain. I hope that our passing will very fluid.

We need to play smart, and pass right.
  23. soccerer1978

soccerer1978 New Member

Club:
    Juventus FC

We need to wait and see how Greece is going to play against Paraguae tomorrow. Although to tell you the truth very little can someone understand from these games. The friendly matches are being played in order for the teams to spot any weaknesses they have.
    Today Rehagel picked his 23. Out Makos and Giavelas...interesting to understand that the German is thinking of using a system with 3 central defenders...I think I know what he is up to and believe me it is going to be difficult for any team to pass through this defense
  24. rubette

rubette New Member

Club:
    Borussia Dortmund

By the slightest chance seeing greeks gaining 3points in this group is through this game. If the greeks score first they are the winner, if that happens your gonna witness the most boring match ever in the tournament. :D

Korea is going to win this match because the record tell us greece has never beaten korea before so i say one goal is enough for a win.
  25. astafux

astafux New Member

I haven't followed S. Korea as much as I did Greece, and I consider the Korean team very strong and deadly. Greece has showed moments of terrible performance in the recent friendlies, especially against Paraguay. Against N. Korea, Greece started the game so impressively that they thought it would be so easy that they got distracted. I think focus is the key for the greek team. Something they had in their impressive away win against Ukraine during the qualifiers (play-offs).
    As some said here, Greece can be deadly in set pieces, especially against a shorter team. They can make it look so easy it's ridiculous. But focus is the key. Anything can happen in this game but i think they will be a few goals.
    2-2 or 3-2 is not out of the question.
    Video google for highlights from the Norway - Greece 2-2 game to see what I'm talking about.
    Some hearts will be broken... it won't be a boring game :)
    There are also highlights on the net from the S. Korea - Greece 1-0 friendly game a few years back... Back then one goal made the difference... Greece I think had the better chances but S. Korea got lucky. This time maybe S. Korea will play better but Greece can still steal the win.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.