1. Save 40-80% on great soccer jerseys. Shop today at BigSoccer Shop!

Miami MLS News Thread

Discussion in 'Miami' started by SoccerPrime, Jun 1, 2013.

Moderators: SoccerPrime
  1. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    C Florida Kraze
    United States
    Figured it was time for a new thread.

Today's Herald had some interesting news.

- Beckham and Claure toured SunLife and FIU Stadium
    - while at FIU, they got a full-court tour including meeting every possible politician and everyone at FIU. In addition Becks and Marco saw a formal proposal presentation from FIU.
    - Becks took a picture with fans!

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/06/01/3428007/soccer-star-david-beckham-tours.html#

Prime Time repped this.

2. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Not unlikely to happen..
    Perhaps not something the locals reflect on but Florida is actually a popular place for both European clubs and players to visit during breaks in the season, the season being cold and grey in most places.
    But from that to get a well supported team?

3. SoccerPrime

Club:
    C Florida Kraze
    United States
    You do realize Orlando, Tampa and Ft Lauderdale are all in Florida and are well attended minor league teams, right? I appreciate new members but this just smacks of lack of research before posting.

4. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I just noticed a certain scepticism among several MLS fans in regard to Florida..One of them even posted that the one thing we could learn from MLS was to never put a team in Florida.
    But perhaps they had their own agenda..

5. SoccerPrime

Club:
    C Florida Kraze
    United States
    That last comment is perfect. That is almost the whole situation in a nutshell. There is hope for you.

Yes Florida sports teams have struggled with attendance across the board. But in most cases the product was inferior. A well run MLS team was the potential to be a success even in Florida.

Antique repped this.
  6. Antique

Antique Member

Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    United States
    IMO, a couple or 3 teams could do well in Florida. The key is well run for all 2 or 3. Two cities already have a good rivalry going. Add one more and you have something that, if done right, could rival the Pacific NW. Throw in Atlanta and you may even get Striker Likers to support an MLS team in Miami just to defend an expanded version of "the Fort". MLB and the NFL blew it when they did not put the southeastern teams in the same league/conference. Even the NHL's realignment has the 2 Florida teams in a conference far removed geographically from their 6 conference foes. MLS could actually be the 1st to do it right.

7. deejay

deejay Member+

Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Bolivia
    Completely agree that MLB blew it. Who is responsible of the genius move of putting the Rays with the Yankees and Red Sox? Talk about dividing the fanbase.

Antique repped this.
  8. Antique

Antique Member

Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    United States
    :thumbsup:
    I think that the 2 Florida teams came in at a time when putting them together would have given one league or the other 2 teams too many. Or something like that.

9. cwilke1

cwilke1 Member

Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    United States

you should also read his post closely - a double negative equals positive. So "not unlikely to happen" means "likely to happen", although the poster admits later on that there could be challenges. Seems to me like that's a reasonable post for a newcomer to me.

10. SoccerPrime

Club:
    C Florida Kraze
    United States
    You are right, people say "not unlikely to happen" all the time. How did I space that?

11. cwilke1

cwilke1 Member

Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    United States
    I'm not certain what caused you not to read his post closely. Maybe because you were reading quickly.

12. FIUPantherFan

FIUPantherFan Member

Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    United States
  13. FIUPantherFan

FIUPantherFan Member

Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    United States
    From the latest athletics meeting...

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/fiusports/

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/fiusports/#storylink=cpy

14. SoccerPrime

Club:
    C Florida Kraze
    United States
    #3 on the list? I was thinking #2

WVHooligan places Miami as #3 MLS expansion market, see it here:

[​IMG]

15. RalphsMom

RalphsMom Member

Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    United States
    Makes total sense to me... San Antonio has local government support, way better fan support than MIA, and a brand new 10k seat soccer specific stadium expandable to 20k. All they need is a little boost financially, and I believe Becks is scheduled to explore the city with his 25k MLS coupon. They should actually be frontrunners given their stadium situation compared to Orlando. A quick Beckham signature puts them in MLS while Orlando still has plenty of work to do in getting a SSS built. Although they do apparently have the land purchased...

16. SoccerPrime

Club:
    C Florida Kraze
    United States
    All your points are valid, except the owner thing. Since Claure is worth 20+ times what the Scorp owners have, I would say that gulf is pretty large.

Prime Time repped this.
  17. deejay

deejay Member+

Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Bolivia
    The thing about Claure is that he's a rich soccer fanatic. He's been heavily involved in soccer since 1992. He's put in 5 years into his boyhood club Bolivar and I think he's done with it. This type of guy would be great at running and investing in a club.

18. Antique

Antique Member

Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    United States
    He may be rich, he may be a soccer fanatic, but the word is he just wants to run the franchise, but not invest in it. Evidently Other People's Money will get him his club. Word is that since the fiasco with Barca he has found that $$$ and is ready to go. I've heard no rumors (yet) to contradict this. Maybe so, maybe not. We'll see.

Any idea where Beckham is? Which city is he looking at now? Everything here seems pointed at a good solid maybe for Miami, but nothing is definite yet. This seems to be Mr Beckham's call entirely. Again, we'll see.

At least all this has stirred up the local soccer fanbase. It gives us something to discuss and speculate about.

19. deejay

deejay Member+

Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Bolivia
    Word? Who's word? Links?

20. Antique

Antique Member

Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    United States
    Never. I only pass on the latest juicy new rumors......:cool:

21. SoccerPrime

Club:
    C Florida Kraze
    United States
    That does bring up a interesting point. Becks comes to Miami and is photographed every where, and then when he is on to other potential markets he goes AWOL. Did he not visit these other cities?

22. Antique

Antique Member

Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    United States
    Very good question. I wonder why this is so......:confused:

23. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

There's a reason for that and it's because he isn't seriously considering anything BUT Miami because that is what MLS wants. Just like you said, why is he AWOL all of a sudden when he should be touring "other cities"? Because it's all posturing.

If and when Beckham comes into MLS as an owner, it will be in Miami. Not because I want them to but because that's what all signs point to.

24. raymondleone

raymondleone Member

Club:
    --other--
    United States
    County hopes soccer teams kick tires
    miamitodaynews
    MAP​

25. Antique

Antique Member

Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    United States
    Same old, same old. This has been discussed for ages in M-D with Mr Diaz as it's chief proponent. Personally I think it would be a great location for an MLS team to use as it's primary site, including a nice stadium. I like it because it is well into M-D county and would be far enough south to allow the Strikers possible survival.

FTR, there are "Mt Trashmores" all over SoFl. I have a twin peaks about 3 miles from my house in West Central Broward County. I think that it would be an even better site because of it's close access to I-75, but since it is in Broward County (FT Lauderdale) we know that nothing will happen there. There are others scattered over the Tri-County. Maybe another one closer to central M-D would better serve the purposes that the folks pushing for MLS seem to have.

Moderators: SoccerPrime