1. Save 40-80% on great soccer jerseys. Shop today at BigSoccer Shop!

MLS Coach Salaries

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by ZZZenga, Nov 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: edwardgr, Ismitje, KCbus
  1. ZZZenga

ZZZenga Member

I haven't seen this anywhere else. We all knew about Bruce's salary when he got fired, but there was some interesting details about other coaches. This is the first time I've seen any details on coaches' salaries.

-Arena was making $600,000
    -Gullit is making $4,000,000 for 3 years (average of $1,333,333.33/year)
    -Kinnear makes around $250,000
    -Nicol makes around $175,000 (and his contract is up after next season)
    -Osorio, Johnston, Kreis, Schmid and Yallop all make over $200,000 (Yallop is the only one with specific numbers at $210,000)
    -Some teams (only RSL is listed) pay Asst Coaches "nearly $100,000"
    -It can be inferred that the following coaches make less than $200,000 (along with Nicol): Soehn, Clavijo, Onalfo, Preki and Morrow

2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    United States
    The rumor/talk/scuttlebutt when Clavijo was hired in '05 is that he was hired because he was pretty much the only person the Rapids talked to that was willing to take the 3 year - 30-50K/year offer the Rapids were making. Near the end of the '06 season they redid his contract to extend through '08 and I'm assuming he got a raise out of it, but I think its a safe bet he's making less than 200K, probably less than 100K.

3. Matt D

Matt D Member

Raise the coaching salary cap!

4. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

This is how the USMNT ended up with Bob Bradley.

5. soccermanRSL

soccermanRSL JELLACTICOS!!

The fact that Jason Kreis is making 200k+ makes me want to throw up, cut myself, die and move to Idaho. He is a worthless coach and a pretty big prick to boot. Way to go RSL. Way to go.

6. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

With so many MLS jobs open, how is it that Steve Nicol, who has done more with less ownership support and less money than any other coach in the league, hasn't had his puny contract bought out by another organization? And hasn't had a raise to even an average MLS coaching salary?

If he's making $175K now, he could make at least $250K or $275K, maybe more, just by going to another team in the league.

The jaw-dropping cheapness of Kraft never ceases to amaze me.

7. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Who pays for coach's salaries? The league or a franchise's owner?

8. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

Club:
    Columbus Crew
    United States
    I think the club is responible.

9. phills

phills Member

oh I guess again the mls favor LA. and decided to pay LA coach's salary!!

10. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

I find this very hard to believe, and would actually guess Dell'Apa made a mistake here. RSL were already on the books for both Kries' playing salary and Ellinger's coaching salary. It would be believable that Kries received $200,000 if his playing contract portion was honored and combined with whatever compensation he received for coaching out the remainder of the year, or if Dell'Apa found that RSL paid Ellinger and Kries a combined $200K for the season. But there can't be any way Kries was earning that much as a first-year coach in a partial season. Checketts is an idiot, but he can't be that dumb.

11. owendylan

owendylan Member

Club:
    DC United
    Wow. I can't believe Ruud is getting that much money. If they don't win some hardware every season he's there they are overpaying. Even without that they are overpaying.

12. Dignan

Dignan Member+

Club:
    FC Dallas
    United States
    Clearly the league needs more DC slots. Designated Coaches that is.

13. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Just gotta say, it's been a long time (like never) that I read a sports article that used the word "sinecure."

And, to use it to take a swipe at college soccer coaches, too. Well played by Dell'Apa.

14. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Yes, it's the club, coaches are not part of the same salary system as the players. When Thomas Rongen's contract ran out after winning the Shield at Tampa Bay, the Mutiny were outbid for his services. . . by Bob Kraft's Revolution, interestingly enough.

15. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

They're the first club to hire a coach at least partially for marketing purposes. I once thought that strategy was plumb crazy, but I will note that I've seen how much managers are marketed in England almost to cult-of-personality levels.

I still think it's a little off the deep end, but not as much as I used to.

16. kaka'22

kaka'22 New Member

I wish the aquisition of coaches was a little more cut throat in MLS. You always see coaches in Europe swap clubs for bigger paydays, new challenges, and so on. Its pathetic that Stevie Nicol is only getting 170k a year. The Red Bull should contact Nicol and offer to double his salary, which they could easily afford.

17. superdave

superdave Member+

Club:
    DC United
    United States
    I was pretty shocked by Nicol's low pay, but then I realized that maybe he made so much as a player that an extra $100K a year (minus taxes and the agent's cut) doesn't matter to him. He seems pretty settled in the Boston area. Maybe that's all he cares about.

18. Jimbob

Jimbob New Member

I always thought the constant rotation of managers in European Football to be one of its most unattractive qualities. Thankfully, clubs in MLS have achieved a little more stability than on the other side of the Atlantic.

19. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Well, SOME clubs.

Chivas USA and the MetroBulls certainly haven't. The Tampa Bay Mutiny and Miami Fusion didn't. Dallas has had four coaches this decade.

Hell, the supposed model MLS francihises, DC and LA, have had 5 and 6 head coaches, respectively. In 12 seasons.

MLS isn't as stable to coach in as some people think.

20. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Well, that's true but the Rapids are trying to balance things off. Lately every coach gets four years no matter how bad they suck. :rolleyes:

21. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

I think Johnston and Preki are the obviously underpaid guys if the numbers are right.

22. kaka'22

kaka'22 New Member

Mcleish, who just signed with Birmigham, is reportedly making triple what he was making as the coach of Scotland. He was making 400,000 pounds a year as the head coach of Scotland. Just throwing that out there.

23. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    Portland Timbers
    United States
    Kreis over 200,000? You have to be ********ing kidding me.

24. Easy Morning Rebel

Easy Morning Rebel Member

[​IMG]

25. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

United States
    Does anyone think Gullit won't go .500 or so versus the "limited coach" on the other side of the stadium Preki?

Moderators: edwardgr, Ismitje, KCbus
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.