MLS Playoffs 2012: Conference Finals [Multiple R]

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Ismitje, Nov 9, 2012.

1. tambo

tambo Member

The game will be on ESPN, for better or worse. And unfortunately we're back to a Saturday afternoon time slot, which I just discovered last night. I must have missed that announcement earlier this year, because I would have heartily complained about it at the time. There's something about a championship game in prime time that just feels more substantial and important.

2. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    United States
    Saturday afternoon is better than anytime on Sunday.
  3. tambo

tambo Member

In terms of head-to-head programming competition, perhaps. But not in the macro "Big Important Event" sense.
  4. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    United States
    So does that make the Galaxy the Kings...? Hmmm...

5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Which is why the last 5 Super Bowls have kicked off around 6:30pm EST (not prime-time)?
  6. tambo

tambo Member

I already knew that was a possible counterpoint. But my rationalization would be that (A) the game does roll into (East Coast) prime time, and (B) the Super Bowl doesn't need any help feeling like a Big Event.

At any rate, it doesn't look like MLS will be up against much at 4 p.m. Dec. 1 -- even on the college football front: http://espn.go.com/travel/sports/calendar/?type=list&date=20121201

(Cue head-scratching over MLS Cup absence from ESPN master schedule...)
  7. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    United States
    Nobody parks a bus like we can. But with that said, the game should be much better this year if we make it. Our attacking is far better than it was last year. (Boniek > Danny Cruz, Carr 2012 > Carr 2011, Bruin 2012 > Bruin 2011, Depth 2012 >> Depth 2011).
    Ismitje and ImaPuppy repped this.
  8. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Seattle fans, just don't forget that back in 2003, LA had a 4-0 lead on aggregate with 75 minutes to play and lost 5-4.

There's still hope. Not a lot of it, mind you. But still, all you need is an early goal and it might get very interesting.
    FlashMan repped this.
  9. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    United States
    To the eventual MLS Cup Champs, who are (coincidentally) the current Shield defenders.
  10. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

I think the Sig-ster remembers that game, too. :--)

There have been a few playoff games like that since too - teams coming back from big aggregate goal deficits at home in the 2nd leg. I think there was one involving NE, and then Seattle almost came back last year against RSL.

There is something that can happen psychologically. The "down" team feels like they have nothing to lose and goes for it, the "up" team starts to get tight after a goal or two. But you gotta get it going, you gotta light the flame, and Seattle can't afford to give up more goals, something that will probably require some good fortune, especially given the strength of LA's counterattack.
    FlashMan repped this.
  11. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Club:
    --other--
    United States
    Where's Jeff Agoos when you need him? (Wasn't he the one that got the SJ comeback going with a splendid free kick?....if memory serves.)

The problem, as JazzyJ points out, is Galaxy's exceptional counterattack led by Donovan (and to a lesser extent Keane and Beckham with his long kicks over the top). The Seattle backline will have to be at their best to keep it a contest.
  12. MLSthroughandthrough

MLSthroughandthrough New Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    If there is any place in the league you want to be bringing a 3-0 deficit to it has to be Seattle. It'll certainly be interesting but I doubt the Sounders can pull three goals back. LA to advance as well as Houston.
  13. minya

minya Member

Then Donovan was with the opposite side.
  14. sitruc

sitruc Member+

There were always questions...
    [​IMG]

Oh, you mean San Jose.
    RafaLarios and DoctorD repped this.
  15. zojakownith

zojakownith Member

Club:
    Seattle Sounders
  16. nlsanand

nlsanand Member

Club:
    Toronto FC
    Canada
    I don't think Houston's a done deal. DC on PK's. Final at RFK...you heard it here first.
  17. profiled

profiled Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    United States
    Just curious why you think the place to be would be Seattle?

While they have a ton of fans into the game, it hasn't really proven to be anywhere close to a fortress for them.
    Ismitje repped this.
  18. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    France
    Agreed. And LA certainly has had enough success in Seattle. How can anyone forget the notorious "refund game", where Seattle decided not to put much energy or effort into the game.
  19. Jewelz510

Jewelz510 Member+

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    The Earthquakes/Dynamo franchise is on a streak of 12 consecutive playoff appearances, if I'm not mistaken, with five MLS Cup Final appearances, winning four of them. On the verge of a sixth appearance. No team, not even the mighty Galaxy, even comes close to putting together a run of success like that.

Potentially the greatest dynasty in MLS history if not for some shenanigans around 2005.
  20. newtex

newtex Member+

Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The Dynamo franchise is 6 for 7. We missed the playoffs in 2010. We don't count anything that happened before that. That belongs to San Jose.
  21. profiled

profiled Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    United States
    If combining the dynasties like that shows us anything, I think what it really shows is that Kinnear was mastermind behind the early success, not Yallop so much.
  22. gears

gears Member

Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    United States
    Yep.

Last place I'd want to play is BBVA.
    Levy2k6 repped this.
  23. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

There was a time when I thought that, especially circa 2009 when Yallop hadn't had any success with the "expansion" Quakes yet and Kinnear had several good years with the 2005 Quakes core that he built.

But the emergence of the Quakes this year for an almost worst to first kind of thing is similar to what happened in 2001. This year certainly didn't involve Kinnear, and in 2001 I would guess that Kinnear had more of a minor role as a 1st year assistant coach.

And at the same time Kinnear's team has struggled a little bit the last few years - missing the playoffs in 2010 and almost missing it again this year. (Yes, they have done very well in the playoffs - but there is a strong "crap shoot" aspect to that). Plus Kinnear has struggled a bit with acquisitions that flamed out - Landin, Caraccio, etc., and seems to have a predilection for trading forwards that go on to flourish elsewhere (Wondo, Kamara, Oduro to some extent).

So on balance I think they are both successful coaches in their own right - different styles, maybe a little different philosophy and personality, but both successful coaches.
    ImaPuppy and profiled repped this.
  24. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Landon Donovan may have had more to do with it than the coaching.

Four California Clasico playoff series since Donovan entered the league. Two for SJ (2001 and 2003), and two for LA (2005 and 2012). Kinnear and Yallop and Sigi Schmid have all lost one. But Baby Judas has been on the winning side in every single one.
    Ismitje and blacksun repped this.
  25. Jewelz510

Jewelz510 Member+

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Question: What two teams have the most playoff encounters in MLS history? I know the ClashQuakes and Galaxy have met five times, with the Galaxy now leading 3-2 all-time. Have any other teams met each other more often in the playoffs?