1. Save 40-80% on great soccer jerseys. Shop today at BigSoccer Shop!

Rumor: Pat Noonan to Rapids (confirmed)

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by pdid10, Jun 15, 2009.

Moderators: 22SteveD, prk166
  1. problem child

problem child New Member

Re: Pat Noonan to Rapids

like well done front office?

please see my other posts retard.

i don't approve of the trade. in case you just joined in.

so bravo to you.

ohh and i don't mind if you call me a retard but the mentally challeged might.

you should be a little "pc" on this board.

and "pc" does not stand for problem child. just so you know. retard.

2. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Always good to know when your opinion of a trade runs counter to the resident thread retard.

Noonan is a good player, if Guerrero is indeed gone, it's almost a one-to-one salary swap and the Rapids need the depth he provides in the midfield. I've always liked the way he plays and he finds ways to create chances and get the ball in the net. If he stays healthy, it's a win for the Rapids.

3. Home n dry

Home n dry New Member

Club:
    --other--
    --other--
    Even providing sorely needed depth at different positions ( mostly A-Mid and RW), he's a good pick up. If he is indeed slotting in at Guerrero's salary, then he's a better value, with more minutes played in 2009.

As a seasoned, team player with MLS Cup experience, he may provide a real presence in the locker room, and even as a "rental", there will always be trade value for a player like Noonan. It's only a small piece in the puzzle, but it's a very solid pick up.

4. SoccaJ

SoccaJ Member

Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    United States
    This is another key point. Smith is trying to build a culture around DSGP as well as a talented team so he looks for players like Noonan who can contribute both on the pitch and in the locker room. In a league like MLS where talent level between squads is relatively level team chemistry can go a long way toward making a team a winning team.

5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    United States
    He's actually 21K more (154K vs. 175K). In a 2.3 million dollar salary cap that's probably close enough for your point though,

6. Home n dry

Home n dry New Member

Club:
    --other--
    --other--
    Also, my point is really intended to illustrate a worst-case scenario. Should Noonan begin to approach the form he had with New England, this would be money well spent.

7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    United States
    According to a poster in the N&A forum, who admits he can't remember who told him this or find a link to back it up, players who go on loan for a full season do not count against the roster cap limit. So Noonan is probably taking O'Brien's position on the 24-man roster. This leaves the Guerrero for Baudet swap available, and I'd guess the striker from outside the league would kick Richardson off the roster.

8. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

If the Noonan acquisition and items in bold above come to fruition and they can make an impact, that would begin to drink the GS kool-aid. :)

Yes, I know Noonan is a done deal, you know what I mean. :)

9. Gunnersfan17

Gunnersfan17 New Member

I don't know about you guys, but I don't remember New England ever winning the MLS Cup let alone doing it in 2007.

I know it's picking nits, but the Rapids need to get the facts straight on their own website. Now the question is how long until it gets changed?

10. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Pretty sure they meant U.S. Open Cup, but yeah, straightening out that detail would have been a good idea.

11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    United States
    That's OK, the Undercurrent's write up of today's scrimmage against the Foxes includes this:

Now I expect Rapids fans who go to reserve/scrimmage games to say "Some guy I didn't recognize scored". I assume the team's official website or blog could get his name though. :rolleyes:

12. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Maybe it was a secret player. Like Ruud Van Nistelrooy on vacation or something, just stopping in for a pickup game... :D

13. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    That could be it. I saw Ruud down at JAX on Wazee during happy hour this evening.:p

Back on topic; Noonan will be a good pickup. I don't know if he bumps Cummings, Medhi, or the right midfielder for a starting spot, but the guy is solid. Certainly comes off the bench before Peterson.

14. baldZidane

baldZidane New Member

Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    United States
    I saw Ruud at Kohls the other day, oddly enough he was wearing his nat'l team jersey. I'm pretty excited to see Noonan out there in place of Medhi or up front w/ Casey.

15. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

If the Rapids sign him, he'll probably be doing a lot of shopping at Kohl's. Or maybe he was looking for a part time job, ya know, a little spending money.

16. ringshot

ringshot New Member

Not too surprising since they originally had him at 101 years old (born in 1908)! They've since fixed that little tidbit.

G'Day...Ron :rolleyes:

17. DDCaptain

DDCaptain New Member

So if your team was trying to cut your pay in half you wouldn't go make 3 times that in europe?

18. problem child

problem child New Member

i'll try to explain this to you really slow. (which means 'read twice')

pat was making $225,000 in 2007. he was offered $115,000 to stay in the mls. he refused. went to norway and signed a deal for three years at and around the $400,000 mark. plus a signing bonus. he played a handful of games in norway and that was it. he came back to the mls and is getting $175,000.

so. he was not making three times what the mls offered him in europe. three year deal. $400,000. equals to roughly $134,000 a season. just $19,000 above what he was offered in 2008 and declined. as far as his signing bonus. since there is no exact evidence of how much that number is/was. that would have been the only real money he made in europe. i'll let others debate if that number is in the tens of thousands or more. the 'other' money is more important to me. the money he was to get paid for 'playing' maybe a dozen games in norway should only have come out to be approximately $53,000.

take his signing bonus number (whatever you think that is) add it to your $53,000.

he did not triple what he makes in the mls.

sorry.

and by the way.

i did not use an excel sheet. i just looked at the $ and figured it out.

19. Matt12

Matt12 Member

Club:
    Rosenborg BK
    Noonans salary was per year meaning he earned 400K a year not over several years.

20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Maybe whining toddler should have used a spreadsheet...

21. problem child

problem child New Member

prove it.

that was a three year contract worth $400,000. plus a signing bonus.

22. problem child

problem child New Member

i thought i was on your ignore list maxi.

you can't quit me?

:eek:

23. Jimmydinho

Jimmydinho Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
  24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    United States
    From that article

Yeah, I'd say the people pointing out that he went to Norway because they paid significantly better are right.

25. Matt12

Matt12 Member

Club:
    Rosenborg BK
    I really can`t be boterd to find it now but when the trasfer went trougth i looked it up and his salary was something like 4-4.5 million a year plus sign on fee. And at the time that was about 400K dollars do i am not sure how the exchanged rates has shifted.
    Unfortunatly Noonan was a epic failure here and hardly played any games for the first team. To bad really cause i like AaFK and hoped they had found a quality striker.

As for you not beliveing me well i can`t really say i care.

I got no idea why Noonan chose to leav the MLS but well i think most folks would find the pay increas tempting. But it migth also be cause he just wanted to try something new

Moderators: 22SteveD, prk166