1. Save 40-80% on great soccer jerseys. Shop today at BigSoccer Shop!

News: Ref Lockout: Maybe a good thing Quakes don't open up this weekend [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by staudio, Mar 7, 2014.

Moderators: KMJvet, Smurfquake, TyffaneeSue
  1. staudio

staudio Member

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    United States

2. sj_vanbasten

sj_vanbasten Member

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Two possible outcomes - We actually realize how good MLS officials are despite our constant complaining, or no one notices a difference and the refs lose all leverage.

Which do you think is more likely?

3. DotMPP

DotMPP Good Luck Rafa

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    We find out how good MLS refs are. ;)

bsman repped this.
  4. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    ....and the Galaxy are awarded a league record 4 penalty kicks in one game!

Beerking repped this.

5. Eddie Stiel

Eddie Stiel Member

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I am very disappointed that MLS has locked out the referees and will replace them with scabs. We pay for major league players, facilities, and referees when we buy tickets. I think that MLS is playing hard ball because the referees decided to unionize. The league took a similar approach with the players in 2010, but of course, the players have much more leverage than the referees. Player safety is one of the most important responsibilities for the referees, and the lockout compromises that and all referee functions.

My wife and I are both members of labor unions. I have written the Professional Soccer Referees Association for guidance on what support they want from ticket buyers. If they have informational pickets, I will walk with them before entering the stadium. If they put up pickets and ask people to refrain from attending, I will oblige and join their picket line, even though I have attended every home match since 1996. I pledge to donate to the PSRA the entire amount I have paid for season tickets for however many matches this lockout lasts. I urge others to join me.

NedZ, Albany58, markmcf8 and 1 other person repped this.
  6. Eddie Stiel

Eddie Stiel Member

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Note to moderators: please correct the title of this thread because this action is a lockout, not a strike. Thank you.

7. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member

Club:
    Juventus FC
    [​IMG]

markmcf8 and ant0n repped this.
  8. soccerbone

soccerbone Member+

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Any way they could let the refs back except for Toledo? That man had it out for the Quakes last season . . . actually the last 2 seasons.

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Italy
    Bring over English or Italian refs over. They won't call ever foul! :)

10. blurryblue

blurryblue Member+

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The MLS referees suck for the most part. They don't deserve a lot more money, certainly not the big bump they are asking for. Unions often suck as well especially when they resort to extortion. Besides refusing to continue negotiating, they have apparently threatened to blacklist temporary refs as well. FOKKEM.

Beerking repped this.
  11. leocal11

leocal11 Member

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    refs that don't know Lenny.
    Interesting. ;)

12. Eddie Stiel

Eddie Stiel Member

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I have seen no report that the PSRA refused to negotiate. The referees are not on strike. MLS/PRO has locked them out.

Moreover, at least several weeks ago, the PSRA filed unfair labor charges with the NLRB, asserting that MLS/PRO participated in regressive bargaining and that MLS management staff threatened 10 referees that they wouldn't work again if they kept pushing for their legally protected right to bargain collectively. The NLRB has not ruled yet on these charges.

MLS/PRO is taking an aggressive posture to try to break the union before it can negotiate its first CBA and to send a message to the MLS Players Union prior to negotiations for the next CBA after this season ends.

NedZ repped this.
  13. blurryblue

blurryblue Member+

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I don't doubt MLS is unhappy that the refs decided to unionize and then the union is playing hardball in seeking a big bump in compensation and benefits. The claimed "threat" against referees seems a bit dubious however ... ALL the refs in PRO are union members. It's not like they have a choice. The NLRB filing seems like a way to gain leverage in a situation that should have been handled internally. As for regressive or bad faith bargaining, that is usually a two way street with rarely one side guilty and the other innocent. Finally, let's see what the ref union negotiator has to say:

Ridiculous, pathetic, pandering, A-hole.

ant0n and Beerking repped this.
  14. bsman

bsman Member+

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'll forgive your ignorance, just as I've been doing for years, but you don't know jack. There are exactly five referees in the US who are paid enough to make it their actual job. The rest of them have to fit it in to a regular job and family, and as a result these folks have to put up with issues you don't and can't understand. The amount they get paid is barely enough to make it worthwhile, and at the same time MLS is attempting to make it impossible for them to try and improve their working conditions and pay. These are people I have known and worked with for over 15 years, so pardon my tone, but when idiots spout a bunch of political nonsense without knowing anything about the specifics, it tends to bring out the worst in me...

NedZ, Albany58, markmcf8 and 2 others repped this.
  15. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member

Club:
    Juventus FC
    [​IMG]

16. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Moderators, close this thread or move it, it's walking a dangerous political line.

17. staudio

staudio Member

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    when i started this thread didn't think it would go in the direction it did….just pointing out that this weekends games may not have the highest of quality officiating (but some may say they never do ;))

moderators feel free to delete the thread if you wish

18. blurryblue

blurryblue Member+

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    PRO claims they have NINE full time refs and a further 12 under part-time contract (that accounts for all the center refs). It probably makes sense to have the main 9 who are going to be refereeing the vast majority of games as full timers ... and I'm fairly certain MLS is willing to pay them "enough to make it their actual job". The problem I suspect is with the assistant refs and fourth officials. Should they really be "career" employees who are "paid enough to make it their actual job"? The MLS is saying NO and I absolutely agree with them. It's just not necessary. Assistant refs should be paid per game, assigned on alternating weekends and covering a specific region to minimize travel, with the arrangement being flexible enough to make sure they can hold down a regular job (i.e. some refs won't be available to officiate mid-week games).

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Italy
  20. KMJvet

KMJvet Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Next inappropriate post in this thread will be an infraction. Keep it strictly on topic.

21. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    My buddy in the San Jose Referee Association says some of them are chomping at the bit, hoping to get games. :D

A couple of years ago, an MLS AR told me they only made around $300 a game, even though with travel, working a game takes the whole weekend. Plus they have review meetings with their assessors, fitness requirements, and various teleconferences during the week. They aren't in it for the money, but for "living the dream".

Of course, anytime you have 30-50 guys like that, willing to self-sacrifice cuz there are another 200-300 waiting in the wings, you (I.e.,MLS) are going to take advantage of those dreamers. Just like with the players.

NedZ, TyffaneeSue, DotMPP and 1 other person repped this.
  22. blurryblue

blurryblue Member+

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    In 2011 they made an average of $500 per game (depending on experience). They "have" to travel or "get" to travel depending on your perspective. Travel expenses plus per diem. And they also get a pretty good view of a soccer game ... I could certainly think of much worse ways to spend a few weekends a year.

23. davez

davez Member

Let's strike a deal with Mexico, El Salvador, Honduras, Chile, Argentina, whomever... MLS refs by and large really have no clue as to the flow of the game, don't know how many times I've seen the call a foul when the team that has been fouled had an advantage in the flow of play...

Not sure the scabs will be any better...

24. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    I wonder if the puerto Rican and other international CRs are going to bring their own ARs. If not, the communication between AR and CR via the headsets could be very very bad.

DotMPP repped this.
  25. bsman

bsman Member+

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    berryblue -- it is NOT a few weekends a year. In order to become PRO referees, they must agree to work about 30 games a year. That is a significant amount of time to be away from one's family (they generally travel on Thursday and return home on Sunday). Please don't say stuff about which you know nothing.

markmcf8 repped this.
Moderators: KMJvet, Smurfquake, TyffaneeSue