1. Save 40-80% on great soccer jerseys. Shop today at BigSoccer Shop!

Required Age Minimum and Maximum for NCAA Sports

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by depuente, Sep 18, 2005.

Moderators: Crimson Ace
  1. depuente

depuente New Member

Hi I would just like to know what is the minimum and maximum age for playing NCAA sports at the collegiate level? Especially for soccer and basketball. Is it 18 years of age minimum and 25 of age years maximum?

2. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Not sure myself...but UVA has a 24 year old "freshman" from Germany on the roster.

3. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

I dont think there is an age minimum or maximum?

U-17's go to college after WYC. So you can be 16/17 in college soccer.

4. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

There's no minimum or maximum. You need to demonstrate that you've completed a secondary education. For D1 ball, you lose 1 year of eligibility for every year after the age of 21 that you played organized ball prior to enrollment. So if you're 23 and plan to start at a D1 school, but played club soccer for the two years since you turned 21, you'd only have 2 years of eligibility remaining.

5. Damon

Damon Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    I know this is off topic, but does anyone know the age limits in NAIA? I remember a story on ESPN about a 40-something football player for an NAIA school . . . I think (not sure when it aired). He joked about how he had to spend hours in the trainer's room after each practice/game!
    For those of us not quite good enough to play in college the first time around, maybe this is our ticket to big time glory at the NAIA school of our choice! I know that someone out there is dying to give a partial scholarship to a 34-year old GK who is slow and cannot jump . . .

6. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

There are no age limits. Technically, a soccer player who graduates high school and plays club (or professionally), prior to enrolling in an NAIA school, loses eligibility on a year-for-year basis. If he plays professionally, he has to sit out a year to have his amateur status restored. I don't think the rules are enforced with the same vigor as the NCAA.

7. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

Club:
    Chicago Fire
    In the mid-80s, IIRC, the University of Nevada (Reno, IIRC) had a 40 year old quarterback who had been a 20-year professional baseball player, mostly in the minors. It's not unheard of. In fact, I've heard rumors that when Edgar Davids retires, he wants to play college basketball in the US.

8. tacojohn

tacojohn New Member

He would have a rough time, since the rules about getting paid in a different sport are open to a lot of interpretation, and if you were a highly paid international superstar, you would have a rough time getting past Myles Brand.

Moderators: Crimson Ace