1. Save 40-80% on great soccer jerseys. Shop today at BigSoccer Shop!

Ronaldo "O Fenomeno" is #3 of all time

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by Izzy9, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Izzy9

Izzy9 Member

Club:
    Santos FC
    Brazil
    If Ronaldo had not suffered major issues, he would have surpassed Maradona and would have challenged Pele as the greatest player ever.

If Ronaldo is not #3 behind Pele and Maradona, I want to know the reasons.

I know that Di Stefano and Cruyff were great soccer players but, would you really place them ahead of O Fenomeno? I don't think so.

2. schwuppe

schwuppe Member

Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    No, Christian Ziege is #3 of all time.

I know that Ronaldo was a great soccer players but, would you really place them ahead of Ziege? I don't think so.

If you opinion goes against the general consensus, you're the one who has to present the arguments to back it up not the other way around.

1 person likes this.
  3. DanFla

DanFla Member

Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    he is not even a Brazilian Top 5, Ronaldo is too overrated

4. deejay

deejay Member+

Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Bolivia
    If Ronaldo had not had his health issues he MIGHT have been top 3. However, he did have them and thus his consistency places him possibly outside the top 10 and certainly outside the top 5. At least we can say that the Ronaldo of the late 90's is a candidate for the greatest striker ever.

5. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

During his peak, 96-98 people 'believed and hoped" he would be a serious challenger to Pele/Maradona in TOP3 - given chances that he would ONLY develop to be better (than his peak there) in later years 99-02 for example. However, I still doubt that he would surpass Cruyff or Stefano ... possible but with slim chances .... (it's history now ...)

since he is retired, he would be ranked from 8 (best) to 16 (worst) in Alltime along with Zidane, Eusebio, Muller ...

6. celito

celito Member+

Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Brazil
    The thing is that Ronaldo, even without his injuries, probably would have still become the same unfocused player he became. Before his injury coaches and teammates already commented on his lack of commitment in training (and partying). So I believe he wan't going to be able to keep that Barca form for too much longer anyways ... let alone get any better.

7. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Well to be fair, Post injured Ronaldo (2002-2009) had "better shots" = more precised and power- than his older days 96-99. Plus he was better in reading games (adaptation to different tactics). But of course the big BIG trade off was his much less "mobility" and very limited "dribble runs" compared to his best form.

So his "peak" (if w/o unjuries, supposedly 99-03) would be an "explosive" Ronaldo 96-98 combined with better shots (more prescisison, more power in long shots) and more intelligent in reading games and smarter in positioning - That sounds closer to Pele ...

8. Charlie512

Charlie512 Member

Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Mexico
    Well, the main points I hold in regarding Ronaldo high is two things.
    1. His unbelievable raw skill and the fact that he always summoned it to perform.
    2. And his determination in continuing his career, after career ending injuries.

His raw skill was so good it can be compared to Maradona. His dominance was so great for his era.

He never gave up despite suffering so many set backs. He rose from the ashes to come back and win the World Cup. He became one of the best, despite losing a great deal of his potential. His will to continue is rarely seen ever (compare to Ronaldinho). Even overweight, with shattered knees and old age, he dominated the Brasilian league.

That's where greatness comes in, in my opinion. Over coming adversity, not just having success.

9. celito

celito Member+

Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Brazil
    Dominated ? :rolleyes:

10. J 10

J 10 Member

Without injuries, top 3 for sure. Close even with the injuries

11. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If Ronaldo hadn't suffered any serious injury, maybe he would have never felt the necessity of improving his tactical game.

I can always say that had Ronaldo played the game in the 1950s and 1960s, back when Pele played the game, Ronaldo would have suffered a very serious knee injury and as a result would retire at a very early age.

But theoretically, like you mentioned, Ronaldo could have developed into an even better player than his Barca self. Though I do think that #3 of all time is overrated.

12. celito

celito Member+

Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Brazil
    Why would he suffer a very serious injury back in the 50s and 60s ?

13. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Because back then dangerous tackles went unpunished. An old school tackle to the knee would have sufficed.

14. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Ronaldo preinjured was proven great with many teams, so his game reading and tactical anticipation was always good. What I meant was that post injured Ronaldo exploited his skills in :tactical and reading games (far more than before) in order to back his new style (a la romario = stand still in the box) rather than running around like before.

Last bold, he was once a big hope for that rank, but at the end ... NO he is not

15. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

How is he close to top 3? He had four 30+ goal seasons and one 20+ goal season in top leagues. Even Thierry Henry beats that quite easily.

16. leonidas

leonidas Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Brazil
    i wouldn't say top 3 of course - top 12 or so. but look at the quality of those goals. as good as henry is...well, he couldnt do what ronaldo did.

17. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Is that the main of your "criteria" to rate a player?

based on just that, Gerd Muller might be the 2nd best ALL TIME behind Pele , not Maradona, nor Cruijf and not Di Stefano???

18. Charlie512

Charlie512 Member

Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Mexico
    As far as pure skill, maybe.

19. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

But in the case of Ronaldo scoring was pretty much everything he did. Of course considering what he did in the World Cup, and he was good with 3 clubs not just 1, maybe Ronaldo can be rated a bit higher than Henry. But just the fact that (with injuries) Ronaldo is around Henry's level means we can forget about top 3 all-time.

20. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

What fact is it, if not your own speculation?

Worldsoccer magazine selected TOP100 players of 20th century Ronaldo was #13 place, Henry was nowhere found in that 100 names!

As far as WC performance, many lists put Ronaldo in TOP10, of course Henry was never been mentioned!

BIG DIFFERENCE between the two

21. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Even still there is a big difference between #13 and #3.

22. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Yes or no ... Garrincha was from 7th to 10+ and Zico was even outside TOP20. There is not much difference between them and Pele/Maradona!

Look back at my post. I never agreed Ronaldo would be #3. Most likely from 8th (at best) to16th (at worst) depending on criteria

23. leonidas

leonidas Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Brazil
    agreed. players that are ranked in the top 20 or so are already considered once in a generation players. ronaldo was a once in a generation striker. so really, the ranking will depend on what criteria you value more, as you say.

24. Daniel96

Daniel96 Member

Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Brazil
    In my opinion Ronaldo is better then maradona and probaly better then pele too.

He won 2 world cups
    Fifa player of year 3 times
    and world cups highest goal scorer

how come i dont see pele or maradona as the world cups higest goal scorer, and back in the pele's time in the 60s defenders were not as good, I think real football all happened in the 90s, and ronaldo best years where the late 90s to early 2000s, so he played the real era with proper defenders

Ronaldo #1

25. laudrup_10

laudrup_10 Member