Post-match: San Jose Earthquakes - New England Revolution (Saturday, 3/29) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    The final score is:

[​IMG] 1 - 2 [​IMG]

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

P.S. = Please don't post results of other soccer (including MLS) games and other sports' games in this thread until at least 24 hours after they've ended.

2. sjquakes08

sjquakes08 Member+

United States
    Absolutely inexcusable from Gantar. I know I'm being a hypocrite by jumping after the ref after so often commenting that we shouldn't blame refs, but that was a rookie move. Very frustrating all around.
  3. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Preparing myself for the "the ref cost is the game!" diatribes.. (Gets popcorn ready) .. Uh oh, too late.

Look; yes, there were a couple of potential hand balls missed. But in the end we cost ourselves the game. We weren't prepared for the weather. We scored an own goal. We missed several chances to score. We fell asleep on the last goal. We lost this game, not the refs.
    ant0n, SoccerMan94043, Beerking and 2 others repped this.
  4. sjquakes08

sjquakes08 Member+

United States
    Nah, the ref didn't cost us the game, poor defending, lack of a dynamic attack, and the ref did. But it's frustrating to see a mistake like that at this level. When in doubt in that situation, you need to hold up the play.

5. evade6317

evade6317 Member+

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    That last goal was pretty horrible with respect to the ref.

That little bit of a pause that was not enforced could have made all the difference for the Quakes.
  6. KMJvet

KMJvet Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Why do I even bother to watch....
    Beerking repped this.
  7. sjquakes08

sjquakes08 Member+

United States
    It wasn't so much the time it took, as it was the confusion that tripped up the quakes. Not only did Gantar let a free kick be taken that never should have been, but he signaled advantage as if he had never blown the whistle in the first place. He did blow the whistle, right?
    alexiskool1991 repped this.
  8. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator Staff Member

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Did they suck or play well or can we not agree? It sounded like we owned the last 20 minutes
    Until they scored.
    Whom do we blame for the goal other than the ref?
    Is jello as good as the drooling announcers said?!?
  9. Steve0013

Steve0013 Member

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The ref didn’t give them the game, it's there free kick, so it's there advantage, they can take whenever they want, is there a rule that they have to wait for us to get organised and get ten men behind the ball before they take it? Or would they rather take it with a 2 on 2? As long as the ref said they can take it they can take it.
    It's just unprofessional that guys are not switched on in the last minuet of a game from a set piece. Plus we mostly sucked.

I love how the commentators thought we did great second half, our great is now 75% of leagues totally average.
    If KC, RSL, LA, Seattle put that on second half they would be disappointed.

The better team won simple as that, a team that plays beautiful soccer by passing pretty patterns and patience and skill.
    Beerking repped this.
  10. sjquakes08

sjquakes08 Member+

United States
    But let's not give the ref all the credit. Boy oh boy do the Quakes need to learn to defend. Maybe hire a defensive coordinator, ala the NFL?
  11. sjquakes08

sjquakes08 Member+

United States
    No, but there is a rule that says the ball must be stopped before the kick is taken.
  12. evade6317

evade6317 Member+

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Some of the positives:

Wondo is looking dangerous again. Needs to regain his confidence though.

JBP is starting to find his form. He really made an impact all over the field.

Jello had a decent showing in his limited time. I hope he pans out to be a starter.
    soccerbone and QuietType repped this.
  13. KMJvet

KMJvet Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    The rule is the ball can't be rolling. Basic rule all the refs who do the kiddie games know.
    markmcf8, SJTillIDie, Beerking and 2 others repped this.
  14. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Yannick was good. Made good runs off the ball, showed great ball control. Too bad we couldn't see more of him, but hopefully we'll see more next week.
    markmcf8 repped this.
  15. Steve0013

Steve0013 Member

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Fair enough, that is true, i have'nt seen the replay, i never saw if it was moving, if it was then you are correct the ref gave them that one and i would happily admit i was wrong. But a point at home would've kinda been papering over the cracks anyhow, it just was'nt good enough again in my opinion.
    markmcf8 repped this.
  16. sjquakes08

sjquakes08 Member+

United States
    The attack looks decent, but they really need to start getting more creative than trying to head in crosses. They're doing better in possession, but in order to be successful they have got to make teams defend against more than one type of threat.
    leocal and evade6317 repped this.
  17. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator Staff Member

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You don't need a whistle on a fk, but the quakes should be more adept at forcing a ceremonial kick. Usually they are. Did the card unhinge them?
  18. evade6317

evade6317 Member+

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    He did blow the whistle, hence the pause from the Quakes. They were at least waiting for the ball to be stopped.

I'm not trying to blame the ref, but I am agreeing that it was a poorly managed game by him. It's one thing to miss calls and allow a certain level of rough play, it's another to screw up a basic process.
    SJTillIDie repped this.
  19. sjquakes08

sjquakes08 Member+

United States
    From the live look and the first replay it seemed clear to me that the ball was still moving. I haven't seen a second replay yet, so if I'm wrong I'll eat crow, but it seemed like most people on the field expected that ball to be stopped.
  20. blurryblue

blurryblue Member+

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Awesome that we lost like that. Maybe fokking Watson will learn to sub earlier and maybe all the fokking idiots who think that Goonie time is cool will shut the fokk up.
    markmcf8, nivla, mjlee22 and 8 others repped this.
  21. soccerbone

soccerbone Member+

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    What a crap game. Pierazzi was the only one who looked good until he got gassed.
    I don't know how bad Cronin's surgery was but he has been a shell of his former self this year. He needs to be benched until he is healthy.

Really sick of this Goonie longball wingplay BS. Play aggressive from the first whistle, tell Busch not to turn every ball into a 50-50 one. Tell Shea to aim at our players, tell everyone to pull the trigger and put balls on target.

Soon as he's ready I'd prep the team to change to Thompson Pierazzi middle. We really are crap in posession.
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
    bostero24, Laxed, doppelganger and 3 others repped this.
  22. blurryblue

blurryblue Member+

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Way too many chances were blown with weak diagonal crosses played in to nobody. Meanwhile the Revs had dozens of dangerous forays into our box by playing the ball on the ground. There is no reason why we can't do that same thing, except for our fokking coach.
    markmcf8, Beerking, bostero24 and 2 others repped this.
  23. Tone Capone

Tone Capone Member

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    These are the worst kinds of losses, because we weren't outplayed. We had the two weather related slips in a row that lead to an own goal, a missed hand ball pk, and a bizarro foul/restart that never actually stopped, leaving our guys a half step behind for all of 10 seconds before getting scored on.

I count that as at least a clear two goal swing that is referee related, and a mistake that doesn't happen without 24 hours of rain.

We were just as dangerous as NE all night long. Obviously one team or the other held momentum here and there, but we weren't outplayed.

Salinas has got to add a shot to his arsenal when he cuts to the center. Wondo, again, was dangerous all night. Hopefully Lenhart didn't blow his knee out, but that sets us back if Gordon doesn't have full match fitness. New guy didn't show much except for winning a corner. His grade is incomplete. Stewart gave me a few heart attacks. Cato was huge on the wing. So much pent up energy after playing out of the back for the past month.
  24. evade6317

evade6317 Member+

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    United States

I agree with this. I will say that there is a sad lack of confidence in the ability by some of the players to actually take a shot. On the goal we scored for ourselves, there was a lot of passing that was the result of the players not having confidence. At least that's how I feel.
    markmcf8, nivla, mjlee22 and 1 other person repped this.
  25. DotMPP

DotMPP Good Luck Rafa

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    It's not fokking, its fargin... Icehole
    markmcf8 and Beerking repped this.