1. Save 40-80% on great soccer jerseys. Shop today at BigSoccer Shop!

TFC to hire Ryan Nelsen as manager

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by EvilTree, Jan 7, 2013.

Moderators: edwardgr, Ismitje, KCbus
  1. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Club:
    Toronto FC
    Canada

2. Barbieri

Barbieri Member+

Club:
    DC United
    United States
  3. 0948735

0948735 Member

Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Pouhahahah, Toronto.

4. m vann

m vann Member+

Club:
    Celtic FC
    United States
    It will take some time to know if Nelsen is the right hire but I am encouraged. No coaching experience is a concern but there's no doubt his playing resume and knowledge of how MLS works is a plus. For his sake (and for TFC's) I hope he has a seasoned assistant next to him. The league has grown leaps and bounds since Nelsen left and it will be a huge challenge. But if there's anyone that can rise to the challenge it's Nelsen. He defied many odds as a New Zealander not only making it to the Premier League but being a very good player.

Off subject (kind of) -- but I think it's a telling sign of where QPR is headed that he was willing to turn in his boots so quickly for a manager role. He started 18 games this season for QPR.

5. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Payne in DC's ass. TFC has a strange way of doing things. Sorry Mariner.

6. Knave

Knave Member+

Club:
    DC United
    Putting aside my DC United supporter grumbling (damn! I wanted him back with us!), I will say this in defense of Nelsen's coaching "experience". You often hear about players who coach from the field. Nelsen was definitely a player who coached from the field. That was especially true when he played with the NZ national team. He wasn't the manager, but with that team Nelsen was no mere player. Granted, it's not the same as being the real coach. But it counts for something -- maybe even a lot. And I also recall the other MLS coach who had a very strong "coaching from the field" reputation during his playing days: Jason Kreis.

Beirut and m vann repped this.
  7. looknohands

looknohands Member+

Club:
    Columbus Crew
    United States
    I'll reserve any and all judgement until he has a dozen games or so in charge.

Fiosfan repped this.
  8. nedigital

nedigital Member

Certainly some inherent risk with a first-time coach, but can anyone name a "sure thing" coach who was available and willing go to coach TFC? The closest thing would seem to be luring another MLS coach like Sigi Schmid away from their current team or spending gobs of money on a foreign high profile coach, who still might struggle to adapt to the league.
    Peraonally I love this move, and as a close follower of the league I've been watching TFC step on its own feet since day one while hoping they could get it sorted out, because it seems like a great atmosphere and could be a big boost to the league if they could have success. He's got international pedigree, knowledge of MLS, leadership, is young enough to relate to players, and seems to have a good reputation (and has an accent for added credibility!).

9. m vann

m vann Member+

Club:
    Celtic FC
    United States
    100% correct and I knew that of Nelsen. His "coaching" on the field is a compliment and speaks volumes of Nelsen. I bet he has little trouble grasping the X's and O's. But there's more to coaching. It's the management side --- handling players, training, scouting, etc. that often proves to the hurdle for new coaches. Respect as a player is easier earned than respect as a manager especially for an inexperienced one. With that said, these are obstacles and merely that. Nelsen can certainly overcome them and I suspect he will. He'll have some bumps in the road a la Olsen and Kries but they are perfect examples of patience equals success. Patience is wearing thin in Toronto so hopefully their brass (fans) understand this. Like I said, on paper, I love this hire but time will tell if it's the right one.

10. Whitecaps10

Whitecaps10 Member

Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    United States
    It's a good move, even if it's just to get rid of the air of negativity around the team.

11. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

They've done worse.

yellowbismark, Barbieri and 15 to 32 repped this.
  12. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    United States
    Absolutely. I'm not a TFC fan, but I hope he works out for them. After the initial euphoria and crazy fan interest, the team has been a downer for the whole league.

13. Chance

Chance Member+

Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    United States
    Is he likely to be a player-coach? He still has quality.

14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    United States
    You know you could read the link but here, let me do the work for you.

Barbieri and BBBulldog repped this.
  15. INKRO

INKRO Member+

Dat move.

Sorry DC. :whistling:

16. Emile

Emile Member

Not a DC fan, but Nelsen was one of the most inspirational players the league has ever seen. He had a quote once that I can't find anymore, but something along the line of Herm's 'you play to win the game' - basically saying that MLS players were pros and how seriously they took their jobs at a time when MLS was still trying to gain credibility. Also having made the professional jump he made, you would think he will command immense respect from young players. I'm sure they'll hire a tactically-minded assistant and he should work out at least reasonably well, if TFC gives him a little time.

17. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    DC United
    Croatia
    not liking this.

Nelsen is all class, I wanted him with us :p

Barbieri repped this.
  18. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Club:
    --other--
    United States
    As a Spurs fan in the few matches he was at the club I really grew to like him, great professional. If he still wants to play for TFC he has a lot to give. He along with a few other players always got praise for how well they trained.

Saying that it's clearly a risk. I think he'd make a good manager but this situation isn't ideal imo. I liked the idea of him being a player-coach, i.e. not head coach, then he can take a managers job some time down the road. He's being thrown directly into the fire with the MLS worst club, big task.

19. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Club:
    --other--
    United States
    But hey, if he does turn out well and can be a mentor to Boss this might be good for the USMNT.

20. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    United States
    Huh. I thought they were happy with Mariner. I must say this has a good feel to it, but considering the TFC history, it will be a miracle if it works out for him. Good luck to all.

21. PJohnson

PJohnson Member

Club:
    DC United
    United States
    Good hire for TFC. He really does have the right experience for an MLS club. Having played College soccer in the US, along with his Pro experience in MLS and the BPL, it really is a unique resume. Consummate professional by all accounts. MLS Cup winner. World Cup. Team Captain on every club He's played on. I would roll the dice on him.

As for possible assistant coaches.....Jesse Marsch has ties to Kevin Payne from his 2 years at DC United.....

yellowbismark repped this.
  22. SourCream&OnionUtd

SourCream&OnionUtd Member

Simon Elliott and Duncan Oughton more likely

23. JG

JG Member+

24. superdave

superdave Member+

Club:
    DC United
    United States
    If I were a Toronto fan I would looooove this move more than anything the organization has done since they put in grass...maybe since they got the team.

1. Nelsen has incredible leadership ability. When he went to Rovers he became vice captain within months, and was one of the keys to them staving off relegation that year. He is always the captain.
    2. He was a very successful defender despite a lack of speed, which means he had to be a smart, tough player. When he and Samba were at their peak, they were the best central pairing outside of the big 4, in large part due to his ability to organize the defense.
    3. There are two models for successful MLS coaches. One is the Bruce/Sigi model of coming from college. The other is the Kinnear/Yallop model of having international playing experience and experience in MLS. Nelsen is a terrific example of the latter.

As always when a coach is hired, you have to think back to the Bill Parcels line. Nelsen is the cook, but you don't know if he's gonna buy the ingredients. You can't make steak out of horsemeat.

QuakeAttack repped this.
  25. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Club:
    Toronto FC
    Canada
Moderators: edwardgr, Ismitje, KCbus