1. Save 40-80% on great soccer jerseys. Shop today at BigSoccer Shop!

Review: The 100 best players in MLS history

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by EL MONO MARIO, Jan 5, 2011.

Moderators: edwardgr, Ismitje, KCbus
  1. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Club:
    CA River Plate
    United States
    This list is a composite of some of the best players in MLS history. We will try to avoid stats and years in the league, because there are cases where a player played half a season and did wonders for the club before moving.

This list is about soccer, futbol, and what that player brought to the table. The top 10 of this list are no brainers but some are players maybe long forgotten....

Number 100:

Roberto Donadoni (ITA)

Donadoni came to MLS after 10 years playing for AC MILAN. The Metrostars wanted instant credibility on the field and fans began to lick their chops when one imagined Tab Ramos and Donadoni together.

It would take time, he finished his Serie A season at Milan and played his first game in May against Tampa Bay. The MetroStars would come back from 0-3 down to win in the shootout and Donadoni was instrumental on corners, and through balls.

A work horse but extremely elegant player Donadoni was too much for a MLS league in its infancy. A cut above the rest all were shocked mid way through the 96 season he left to play the 96 EURO Cup at 33 with Italy as a MetroStar.

Upon his return he began to adjust to the league, for those fans that remember seeing Donadoni dribble with easy around 3 opponents before passing the ball to his team mates was the norm, he made it look so easy effortless. Most importantly elegant.

A quite professional he played strong and hard for his NY team. What ever the MetroStars other ailments, Donadoni was the excellence personified. He proved a solid performer, being named to the league Best XI in 1996. Unfortunately, Donadoni's play could not bring the MetroStars any success as a club.

After the 96 season he was offered a chance to play for Real Madrid and turned them down to sign a 2 year deal with MLS.

He would leave after 1997 to a shock return move to AC Milan, as Milan was hopelessly loss in a regulation battle. The quite master would leave a heart felt letter to MetroStars fans explaining why he had to return. Donadoni's first game back he would hit the post and feed Weah for Milan's first win in 6 weeks.

He retired after a stint in Arabia.

1996–1997 NY/NJ MetroStars GP 49 Goals 6

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m9XM7_8v_o"]YouTube - Donadoni with the NY Metro Stars[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYVer2tjLKQ"]YouTube - July 18th: Kick TV interviews Roberto Donadoni[/ame]

2. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

United States
    And this is in News & Analysis why?

3. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Club:
    CA River Plate
    United States
    You can move it to MLS General if you like.... Party pooper. :cool::D

4. TBR

TBR Member

Club:
    CD Aguila
    El Salvador
    Donadoni? No.

Diaz Arce, Cienfuegos and Cerritos better be on this list.

5. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Club:
    Connecticut
    United States
    You think all three should be rated #100?

6. Absolute

Absolute BigSoccer Supporter

United States
    Cool thread

7. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Club:
    CA River Plate
    United States
    Number 99:

Alain Sutter

Back in Early 1997 MLS brought in its first true DP, that man was Swiss midfielder Alain Sutter. Reports had him at a 2 million dollar a year salary. And boy did Dallas fans get every penny.

Sutter was quality. QUALITY on the field. Explosive on the ball, great dribbler, The Burn fans knew they had something with Sutter and Kris hooking up for goals and assist. Sutter commanded Dallas midfield and was fun to watch with his long hair tied up in a bandanna and his unusual number 66. (He wore that number to honor Americas route 66). The leagues most expensive player had the makings of a true MLS legend.

But sadly it was all cut short when, during training in early 1998, he stepped awkwardly in a hole of the practice field (the Burn was using the facilities of a high school at that time) and the injury forced him to retire.

Games 25 Goals 2

Currently he works as an expert commentary when Swiss TV shows important matches.

http://www.kenn.com/images/alain_sutter.

8. TBR

TBR Member

Club:
    CD Aguila
    El Salvador
    What in my post made you come to that zany conclusion? :rolleyes:

Note to OP : So basically any European who played more than 15 games despite not winning anything nor making any real impact in the grand scheme of things = Cracks the Top 100. Really? Next your going to tell me Mattheus is in the Top 50 SMH.

9. NorthbankHighbury

NorthbankHighbury Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    England
    Josh Wolff is a shoe in for the Bundesliga hall of fame as well I hear.

10. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Club:
    --other--
    United States
    If El Mono wants to do this right he should set it up like they do over in the Beautiful Game board (where maybe he got this idea) where some poster has set up a bunch of top 100 lists, presented each of the players one-by-one, but then opened up another thread where the lists are actually discussed and argued about. (In the actual "Top 100", the players are only presented, not discussed.) Would keep things a lot more tidy imho.

I personally like Donadoni as the #100 pick. Definitely a touch of class in early MLS even though he only played 1 year.

11. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Club:
    CA River Plate
    United States
    Your are not getting this thread at all, Your country men will be featured on this thread, don't worry Arce and Cienfuegos will be there.... This thread is not about numbers, not every player that played in MLS has to win something or had played 10 years to make an impact, ANYONE who saw Donadoni or Sutter play in MLS knew they had an impact. In a league with so much parity these guys could not win titles for a given reason.

This thread is about Soccer not stats... Its about quality player this league has had and some came and went some stayed and triumphed others like some american players that will be featured on this list played way to little before moving on.

Years do not equal quality.. Quality is quality no matter if it was 10 games or 100 games...

12. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Two years.

I also like the pick - and the thread. Though its going to be hard to debate the list.

13. Evil_J

Evil_J Member

Club:
    Waterford United
    United States
    I like the list. If you don't like the list, go make your own list. El Mono, proceed...

14. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    United States
    I think we'll stick with just this one for now - I can't imagine the forum supporting multiples of these! We'll go with a "one at a time" deal if someone else wants to give it a whirl later.

15. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Club:
    CA River Plate
    United States
    Number 98: Brad Friedel

Brad Friedel came to the Crew after a one season stint at Turkish power Galatasaray midway through the 1996, but his credentials were already amazing at the time of his arrival. He was back up to Tony Meola in 1994 world cup and had come off an incredible goalkeeping dual with Kasey Keller at the Copa America in 1995, which the US were semi finalist.

What is still one of the oddest situations in MLS history Friedel served as backup to starter Bo Oshoniyi, why? we will never know, but near the end Fridel beat Oshoniyi for the starting spot and was extremely instrumental in the Crews playoff push. He play nine games with a 0.78 goals against average. In February 1997, he signed a three year contract with the Crew as he was named the team's starter. That season he was selected to the MLS Best XI and named the MLS Goalkeeper of the Year.

In December of 1997 follow an impressive showing at Azteca Stadium against Mexico, Liverpool decided to purchase his contract from the Crew for £1.7 million in 1997 after being impressed by his performances.

The rest is history. Fridel has gone on to have one of the most storied careers of any american soccer player. Becoming a BlackBurn Rovers legend in playing almost 300 games.

Today he is still one of the best goalkeepers in the EPL and at one time without question one of the best goalkeepers in the World. He very well be the greatest keeper in USMNT history.

His time in the Crew was a exhibition of the high standard quality we hold every American keeper who has followed Fridel and Keller afterwards.

The Crew saw Fridel just before he hit his prime. And he was a world class keeper. That is why at 40 he is still a top ten EPL keeper.

1996- 1997 GP: 38

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGkxvL65Tt4"]YouTube - Friedel Scores![/ame]

16. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Club:
    Club Tijuana
    United States
    El Mono

I like your thread idea and want to see it continue, although judging by your picks so far, this seems to be about top 100 best players to play in MLS rather than 100 best MLS contributors.

Both ways make interesting topics, and I would love to see a similar thread that focuses on best MLS contributors at some point.

17. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member

Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If that was the case Friedel wouldn't by 98 and Donadoni wouldn't be 100. Both of those players made the Best 11. It's ridiculous, but not really shocking, how much bitching has been done in this thread already. Jesus ********ing Christ.

18. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Club:
    --other--
    United States
    Love that video of Friedel scoring the equalizer v. Charlton. I had forgotten about that play.

19. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Did you also forget Charlton scored seconds later, and Rovers lost? :)

20. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Member+

Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    United States
    debbie downer

21. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Club:
    Club Tijuana
    United States
    I don't think I was bitching, I was giving feedback. But seriously, what top 100 list in any subject doesn't receive a good amount of bitching? That comes with the territory of starting a topic like this. I am looking forward to El Mono Mario's picks anyways, I like his posts.

22. Evil_J

Evil_J Member

Club:
    Waterford United
    United States
    You were absolutely bitching, but they were valid bitches. Lists are made to be discussed...

23. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Club:
    --other--
    United States
    Sheesh, yes I had forgotten. :)

Yea, double debbie downer.

24. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member

Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The second half of my post wasn't directed as much towards you, although I do think you're way off base. Both Friedel and Donadoni would be in the top 10 (well, maybe 20 for Friedel) players that have played in MLS so claiming that's how the list looks when it doesn't match that conception at all isn't really valid.

25. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Club:
    CA River Plate
    United States
    97: Jeff Agoos

After returning from Germany in 1995, he served as an assistant coach to Bruce Arena at the University of Virginia.

In 1996, Agoos returned to the United States to join Major League Soccer. In order to create a league, MLS allocated various recognized players to each team. As part of this process, the league allocated Agoos to D.C. United where he joined Bruce Arena, the team's first coach. That year, Agoos won the first MLS Championship as well as the U.S. Open Cup. He followed it up the next year with his second MLS Championship. In 1998, DC United achieved its greatest accomplishment when it defeated Vasco de Gama to take the Interamerican Cup and won his third MLS Championship. He spent 2001 through 2004 with the San Jose Earthquakes, and proceeded to win his fourth and fifth MLS Championships.

Agoos was named MLS Defender of the Year in 2001 and earned a place in the MLS Best XI three times (1997, 1999, and 2001). In 2005, Agoos was named to the league's tenth anniversary All-Time Best XI.

He was traded to the MetroStars after the 2004 season for a fourth round draft pick. In ten years in MLS, Agoos scored 11 regular season goals and added 25 assists in 244 matches. In 2005, he was named to the MLS All-Time Best XI, before retiring December 8, 2005.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNoq3PHDtIs"]YouTube - Jeff Agoos Induction Highlight Video[/ame]

Moderators: edwardgr, Ismitje, KCbus