The Daily Show/Colbert Report IV

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by heybeerman, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Barbara

Barbara Where is Rickon?

Club:
    DC United
    United States
    I meant that I think she's too young for an anchor spot.

2. nicephoras

nicephoras BigSoccer Supporter

Fair enough - I wasn't advocating her. I think she's OK, not amazing. They haven't had a Colbert/Carrell level reporter since Oliver, and even he wasn't quite as good.

But Oliver's character was never the same - he changed based on the situation, much like Colbert and Carrell. Jessica Williams is basically OUTRAGE.

3. Naughtius Maximus

Naughtius Maximus Member+

Club:
    Chelsea FC
    England
    Oh, right :D

Yeah, maybe a bit young. TBH I'm not sure she'd be that interested as it's a HUGE commitment or, at least, could turn out to be. Better to keep doing what she's doing instead of throwing herself into the limelight to that extent.

4. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    United States
    {Ismitje resists urge to abuse Super Moderator powers by changing JohnR's username to JonR}

5. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    United States
    i read this and thought you were talking about the female that's on (used to be? don't know, haven't seen her in forever) cnn every now and then. extremely hot. but i thought it was a completely random suggestion seeing as i wasn't aware she had any sort of interest in comedy (other than when she'd laugh it up with anderson cooper). then again, i don't even know what her last name is... i just recognized aisha and tyler sounded right to me. sigh. needless to say, i know who you're talking about now and it makes much more sense... at least more than the news chick. ok... moving on...

6. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Samantha Bee won't be the next Daily Show host.

Because she will be hosting a new show on TBS. Daily Show clones are spreading like wildflowers.

7. nicephoras

Phew.

8. purojogo

purojogo Member

Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    United States
    Bee and Jones' humor do not appeal much to me ...Jessica is too young..... Some of the female host suggestions sound awesome ...but they are ladies who happen to be involved in many other projects, unfortunately.....
    And yes, we need a "Last Week Tonight" thread, or change the title of this one (replacing the "Colbert" part of the title...I miss his show, it was pure genius!) John Oliver is similarly amazing IMO (i am a politics/policy/corruption current events junkie)...Wish he could do a show like his more often ...... but it might lose its power.... so....
    Agree that TDS has become stale at parts...Stewart will be missed mostly due to past glories unfortunately (maybe having a president such a Bush in power helped him...but his show was brilliant during that time)

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  9. Naughtius Maximus

Club:
    Chelsea FC
    England
    I quite like some of Wilmor'e show but it's more and miss, atm. Sometimes brilliant... sometimes a bit 'samey'. Th 'panel' stuff doesn't work some of the time. IMO he'd be better dropping that most shows or, at least, cutting it down to say, 5-6 mins with only a couple of guests.

Can't help thinking Comedy Central would be better switching between TDS and TNS during the week.

I really like Oliver's stuff because, like you, it's mainly the politics I'm interested in but his delivery goes a bit OTT at times. Can't help thinking he's trying to be too 'American' sometimes, (by which I mean kinda manic), and it's just not him. We're a bit more reserved and it comes across as false or, at least, forced.

10. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    United States
    The dry scracasm doesn't come across to an audience that like Jim Carry-type comedians. What makes Stewart so good is his balance between the two.

11. Naughtius Maximus

Club:
    Chelsea FC
    England
    Stewart usually gets it spot-on.

I suppose, to be fair, he's been doing it for a lot longer and he's also done some acting and that expertise in 'delivering a line' is what we're talking about.

12. dapip

dapip Member+

Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Colombia
    Great segment on the NCAA..

13. superdave

superdave Member+

Club:
    DC United
    United States
    It's going to be Trevor Noah.

So CC's late night bloc has gone from two white hosts to two hosts of color. Interesting.

14. White/Blue_since1860

White/Blue_since1860 Member+

Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Germany
  15. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    United States
    I saw his comedy special, he had good moments, he is from South Africa so he will bring that different POV to the show.

Well he is actually "Coulored" so 1.5 black.

He actually touches on this in his show, how he was looking forward to becoming black when he landed in the USA, but because of how he looks like, people started calling him Puerto Rican.

16. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Not bad. I probably saw all of his segments (3 ?) on the Daily Show. Assuming he did the writing, it was really good and biting. Will be interesting to see his interview skills and what his "voice" will be...

17. nicephoras

I like Noah - I had seen some of his stand-up before he was on TDS, but how good he will be at hosting duties remains entirely unclear. I'll give him a chance, but who knows how long he'll be given. TDS has, somewhat bizarrely, become a cultural institution.

18. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It's going to be a lot tougher replacing Jon Stewart than it was replacing Craig Kilborn, that's for sure.

Ismitje and Dante repped this.
  19. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

I did not strongly like or dislike him, so I will just wait and see how good the show is. I seem to recall not liking Stewart at first.

Meanwhile, maybe we need a new thread for this?

20. JohnR

JohnR Member+

21. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Club:
    DC United
    United States
    The people who hate political correctness are going and searching back in time for non-politically correct tweets and complaining about them. How special.
    Is it really a backlash, or just Fox News inspired whining?

22. JohnR

JohnR Member+

You got me. If Noah had written "black" instead of "white" on one of his tweets, then all hell would have broken loose. That interests me. The rest, not so much.

23. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    United States
    Well when you become famous all your dumb shit recorded out there can become public. Some apology statement should be coming, I mean he is a comedian, lots of the stuff he says is not going to be PC.

24. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

I'd say he should follow Bill Burr's example and just not give a damn. But then again Bill Burr is not tagged to replace the beloved host of a successful night show, so maybe that is not his best move at this point.

25. nicephoras

Truth is, most of those aren't very bad when you consider he's a quarter Jewish. I mean, a stand-up comedian making fun of fat girls? What? No way?!?!?! Was he supposed to know that 5 years down the line he'd be the host of the Daily Show?

ceezmad repped this.