The Noughties Film Draft

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Panfilo, May 5, 2014.

1. Panfilo

Panfilo Member

Club:
    Club América
    Mexico
    The Draft Order:
    1. Spejic
    2. Boogie_Down
    3. Quango
    4. Belgian Guy
    5. afgrijselijkheid
    6. frasermc
    7. Panfilo
    8. StiltonFC
    9. billyireland
    10. usry723
    11. Dr. Phil

Those wishing to be a part of the draft still have until the end of the first round to join. Remember though that you will end up being last in the draft order.

In the sign up thread the question of whether mini series could be included popped up. The answer is No.

What constitutes a film?

I'm not one of those who say that it has to have been shown first in theaters to be called a film. Plenty of films were first released on TV then got shown in cinemas. As long as it was shown in theaters at one point I'll consider it a film.

Rules

10 Rounds
    12 hour windows
    Please let the person that follows you know that they are on the clock.

The clock will start at 12pm et today the fifth of May. Or at the time Speijic makes his first pick if earlier.

2. Boogie_Down

Boogie_Down Member+

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nice draft order. I'm pumped.
  3. usry723

usry723 Member+

Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    United States
    I disagree. This is the Emile Heskey of draft orders.

@spejic
  4. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You are so right. Putting me first is an unimaginable gaffe. I'm the comic relief in the middle of the order. Now I have to set the tone for the whole game.

5. Boogie_Down

Boogie_Down Member+

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    Let's do this. You make an obscure pick and then I swoop in with the glory. :D
  6. Panfilo

Panfilo Member

Club:
    Club América
    Mexico
    Seriously start this thing Spejic
  7. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    [​IMG]

Der Baader Meinhof Komplex (2008)

The story of the Rote Armee Fraktion, a far left wing terrorist group active in West Germany in the late 1960's and 1970's. The film is extremely visceral and immediate, with the action and style and look and even the lighting drawing you in to the time and place.

@Boogie_Down
  8. Boogie_Down

Boogie_Down Member+

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    [​IMG]

No Country for Old Men (2007)

Violence and mayhem ensue after a hunter stumbles upon a drug deal gone wrong and more than two million dollars in cash near the Rio Grande.

@Quango
    StiltonFC repped this.
  9. Panfilo

Panfilo Member

Club:
    Club América
    Mexico
    Thoughts

spejic - (Der Baader Meinhof Komplex) You were not playing when you said that you were comic relief. j/k I like the film and wasn't surprised it was selected in this draft. But first pick overall...

Boogie_down - No Country for Old Men The only Coen Brothers film I really like. I can't knock it. Its a masterpiece
  10. Boogie_Down

Boogie_Down Member+

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    I'm happy with my pick. I didn't think I would have the chance to select No Country. I figured I would need a high pick to select it. Maybe I'm just a homer for the Coen Brothers though. I'm curious how the rest of the round will turn out.
  11. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    No Country was on my list but it probably wasn't going to be one of my first five or six picks, unless things got really crazy and my long list got utterly raided. Which isn't entirely impossible, I guess.
  12. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Club:
    FC Bayern München
    United States
    Ya but would have never lasted the long
  13. Boogie_Down

Boogie_Down Member+

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    I'm curious how long do you think it would have lasted? For some reason I thought it and another film would be top picks.
  14. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Club:
    FC Bayern München
    United States
    I assumed top 5 with 1 or 2 being likely
  15. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I honestly have no idea what movies will do well here, so I don't have a real strategy in terms of the order of my picks. It's a very hard draft to predict in terms of order.
    usry723 repped this.
  16. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Really? Interesting. I honestly wouldn't associate NCFOM with the very apex of the era.
    I loved the novel and thought the adaptation was very well done.
  17. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Club:
    FC Bayern München
    United States
    I dont rate the movie as most. It is regarded and talked about though so had a feeling it would go high
  18. usry723

usry723 Member+

Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    United States
    I'm so scared my movie will get picked before my first turn. With all the different tastes here, I can't judge it.
  19. Quango

Quango BigSoccer Supporter

Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    [​IMG]

Children of Men ~ A. Cuaron (2006)

I love this movie. Cuaron creates a brilliantly realistic dystopia. Visually, it is stunning. The sets are incredibly bleak and set the tone without a lot of unneeded exposition. A lot gets made of the long, tracking shots, which are terrific, but I think that attention maybe takes away from the other strengths of the film. The film doesn't fall into the trap of making its protagonist into some sort of superhero that sometimes derails dystopian films. Clive Owen's Theo is pretty much a hapless bystander to the violence surrounding him. He never fires a gun and only commits a couple minor acts of violence in last ditch efforts of self-defense. He's pretty much terrified and desperate throughout the film.

@Belgian guy - You're Up.
  20. Boogie_Down

Boogie_Down Member+

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    Solid pick. I have to scratch it off my list.
  21. billyireland

billyireland Member+

Spoilers in scene, but... the car scene.
  22. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    United States
    I am in.
  23. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    With my first choice, I choose:

Up (2009)

[​IMG]

The dialogue-less montage might be the very best thing put on film in both animation and real-life action during this decade. The rest of the feature is so unbelievably charming and at times, incredibly moving.

@afgrijselijkheid is up!
    frasermc repped this.
  24. afgrijselijkheid

afgrijselijkheid Member+

Club:
    AFC Ajax

You. Bastard! I was hoping to snag that after a few rounds have gone by.
  25. afgrijselijkheid

afgrijselijkheid Member+

Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Round 1, pick 5...

The Incredibles (2004)
    Two Oscars, including Best Animated Feature

[​IMG]

While this is not necessarily my favorite movie of the decade, it is what I would consider to be easily the best in a category from which I need one pick made: animated films. With other genres offering me more preferred choices to tick their boxes, The Incredibles moves up to fill a need. Of course, no one should feel sorry about this strategic maneuver, because everything about the movie stands heroically on its own. I mean, what else could you possibly ask from it? It is a highly clever unfold that sets the scene and it is all thrills and comedy from there. The movie looks as lush as can be, and at the time it represented an amazing leap in detail by Pixar. The other details on the edge of the story are also lush: You mean we get cartoon Sam Jackson? And the sexy voice of Elizabeth Pena? And the awesome Sarah Vowell doing her only film appearance? All scenes with Edna and her home studio? Hauling super heroes to court? A super nagged by the wife until his shoulders slump to his waist? The belabored federal employee and Dash making his teacher lose his marbles? The island?! Wallace Shawn!?! I dunno what I did right to deserve it all, but count me in!! I also loveloveLOVE there are no insufferably omnipresent power artist songs to attack the charts dripping with syrup overload, no need to reach down into your very soul with some overreaching emotion or message for the sake of it. Everything you see and hear brings something to the table, there is not a wasted granule of salt on this lean, mean and tasty dish. It would be hard to nitpick a flaw even after scads of viewings, and if you absolutely had to go and do it, I would ask who it was in life that hurt you so bad. This popcorn movie of the highest order came to kick ass and, on a related note, is all out of gum. To me, no other animated movie in the decade can match it.

@frasermc