The team most likely to win the 2014 world cup is ...

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Izzy9, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Izzy9

Izzy9 Member

Club:
    Santos FC
    Brazil
    The world cup will be held in Brazil and in theory, they should have the advantage but, unfortunately, they do not currently have a solid squad. They currently lack a creative midfielder and a pure striker. Brazil's youngest stars Neymar and Lucas will do well but, they cannot win the cup by themselves. I no longer think that Ganso is the midfielder that Brazil needs because nowadays, the game is played with a lot of pace which he lacks. Maybe, Coutinho will mature and occupy that spot instead.
    Argentina is likely to be the strongest team coming from South America.

I think the europeans (Germany, Spain and Holland) will dominate the world cup.

Unless, Brazil and Argentina drastically improve, Germany will probably win the next world cup. They are a young, talented and very strong team that will only get better. They are very tactical AND VERY TECHNICAL. They are the most exciting team to watch right now.

Back to Brazil, contrary to popular belief, Mano might not be the right guy for the job. I don't think he has selected the right group of players. Why isn't Hulk on the team? Why isn't Lucas getting more playing time? Is Andre Santos really the best left-back? As for right-back, Maicon and not Alves should start. Alves cuts too much in the middle and creates congestion.

If Germany is a 10 right now, Brazil is probably is a 6 or 7 at best. They have a lot catching up to do.

2. feyenoordsoccerfan

feyenoordsoccerfan Member+

Guess who is the top number one now:D
  3. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

what a stupid thread!

let them play 2 or 3 qualifying games
    to have an educated opinion....:cool:
  4. leonidas

leonidas Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Brazil
    if the world cup was held today, you'd be right. except it's in 3 years. next thread please.

5. colombialove banned

colombialove banned Red Card

Colombia cause we are the best team in the world no matter what anyone says or how the team does. COLOMBIA!
  6. GrandeSoccer

GrandeSoccer Member+

This is about the 2014 World Cup, not the U-20s dude.
  7. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

con ese argumento, tan solido y sin DT - hoy en dia- ummmmmm
  8. colombialove banned

colombialove banned Red Card

I know that.
  9. GrandeSoccer

GrandeSoccer Member+

I know you knew that. That was just my way of saying let's be a tad realistic.
  10. thedragonrik58

thedragonrik58 Member

Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Mexico
    ...And then you woke up. :rolleyes:
  11. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

and was given a yellow card?

btw, who gave you that infraction? why?
  12. thedragonrik58

thedragonrik58 Member

Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Mexico
    Do you mean the line? Well think about it...he is saying that Colombia is the best team in the world (he's dreaming), and when he wakes up (in the real world), and realizes that it was just a dream. LOL you understand now?
  13. Izzy9

Izzy9 Member

Club:
    Santos FC
    Brazil
    Germany, a very young team, played the best soccer at the last world cup and they look really strong right now and in 3 years, they will only get better. Of course, a lot of things can happen in 3 years and teams like Spain, Holland, Italy, Argentina and Brazil may reach their potential by then. Well, Spain is already there and they just need to continue to build on what they accomplished last year. Unless Brazil and Argentina drastically improve, a european team will win and most likely, that team will be Germany.
  14. Izzy9

Izzy9 Member

Club:
    Santos FC
    Brazil
    Those who can't think resort to making insulting remarks. I doubt that you are not a thinker. We are all passionate soccer fans and we have strong views but, let us our utmost to be civil. I am not prescribing my views to anyone but, simply stating them. You either agree or disagree and you have a chance to state your opinion. That's all.

For the record, my favorite is Brazil but, I must be objective. Did you not watch the last world cup? What team played the best soccer? What team is playing the best soccer right now? Germany is a very young team and they are very technical and tactical. In 3 years, they can only get better and address the issues that prevented them from winning last year.
  15. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Not to state the obvious, but to provide some historical context to this discussion, since I think it's interesting that the tournament will be in South America and right now European teams seem to have the edge:

European teams have never won a WC celebrated in South America (4 times) or anywhere in the Americas for that matter (7 times).

The European team that came closest to winning in South America was the Netherlands Clockwork Orange in 1978 when the match went into extra time (Rensenbrink hit the post at 90'+ with the score 1-1). This was also the last tournament played in South America. 36 years later in Brazil they will likely be, again, one of the teams to beat.

The closest Europe has come to win in the western hemisphere was when Italy lost to Brazil on PKs in 1994.

Further, If a team from Europe wins, it would be the first time for a confederation to win three world cups in a row.

Another fact is that of all world cup qualifying and finals matches Brazil has played in home soil (51), they only lost one... the Maracanazo.
  16. Daniel96

Daniel96 Member

Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Brazil
    Brazil are building a team and in 3 years they will be the best.
    I think the final will be Brazil and Germany

********Julio Cesar********

D.Avles - Thiago - Lucio - Maicon

******Ramires - Marcelo******

***Robinho - Ganso - Neymar***

********Alexandre Pato*********

4-2-3-1

Subs:
    (Lucas Moura) for Robinho
    (David Luiz) for Lucio
  17. Izzy9

Izzy9 Member

Club:
    Santos FC
    Brazil

Do you think Maicon would be effective as a leftback?
    I am not sure Marcelo would do well as a defensive midfielder. I know offensively, he would be very good but, the guy is a defensive liability.
    As for Pato, I am not convinced he is the goto guy up front. Lucas Moura will probably find himself in the starting line-up by 2014. Let's not forget about Coutinho who is already playing Italy. Also, I am baffled by the fact that Hulk is not getting called up to play with the national team. Brazil will need him.
    Like I said, Brazil has a lot of work to do. By the end of next year, they should more less identify the starting line-up and then start playing with the same group of players on a regular basis to establish chemistry. Then, the remaining two years can serve to identify the bench players and possibly a couple of replacement players in the starting line-up. Team chemistry is crucial. That is how spain won last year. That is why Barca has dominated over the past 3 years.
  18. leonidas

leonidas Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Brazil
    germany will likely be the favorite. and i expect brazil to be at a similar level to germany's in 2010.
  19. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Yeah. It looks like Germany are the favourite for 2014 with Spain behind them. Then Brasil and no-one else for a long while...

I expect Ghana to come out with another good showing. Will be interesting to see the first African attendance at the World Cup without an African cup preceding it. It's been their bane for far too long (all those pointless last minute changing of the coach and such...)
  20. sully11

sully11 New Member

Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Any on else think Belgium could be a dark horse in 2014? Some good players coming through for them
  21. VicVR6

VicVR6 Member

Club:
    FC Porto
    Portugal
    Portugal will have massive support in Brazil so I suspect they could cause some damage.
  22. BlueLondoner

BlueLondoner New Member

Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I think it'll come down to the usual suspects:
    Germany looks incredibly strong
    Spain... well, it's Spain.
    Brazil, home advantage and the current crop of youngsters has the potential to be world beaters.
    Portugal has the advantage of a core of strong Real Madrid players now.
    Italy, if they get Rossi playing well for the national team will stand a chance.
    France has a heck of a lot of potential, just haven't been able to meet it yet, but their player pool is phenomenal.
    Argentina has unrivaled attacking potential, though their defence is shaky.
    The Dutch are a solid side.
    Potential darkhorses in Belgium? Hazard, Vermaelen, so on.
    Uruguay is solid defensively, and if Suarez keeps on improving, he will be a great.

It will come down, as always, to which manager gets their players working well. My bet is personally on Germany, Portugal or Uruguay.
  23. 00Kevin

00Kevin Member

Club:
    Columbus Crew
    United States
    I think i'll go with Germany for my prediction, they have alot of great young players from the last world cup and they seem to be producing more great players with every generation.
  24. Leinad

Leinad Member+

Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Germany
    I'm from Germany and thus obviously support the german team but I'm a bit surprised that we are getting named as main favorite.
    I mean I also think that we will play a good role (like we usually do, even with crap teams :D) but Spain is still ahead of us and while it's true that we have a lot of great young players coming up the same can be said of Spain.
    Besides that it's still 3 years to go and it's hard to predict such things.
    At the moment I'd say of Spain, Netherlands, Germany and Brazil (home advantage and they do have three years to prepare) can be considered as "favorites".
    On top of that you have France, Italty, Argentina, Portugal, England and so on who are all capable of going very far/winning it (in 2006 France and Italy weren't the favorites and yet they made the final).