1. Save 40-80% on great soccer jerseys. Shop today at BigSoccer Shop!

Top 50 Greatest Goalkeepers of All-Time

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Perú FC, Nov 8, 2011.

Moderators: comme
  1. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

I just finished editing the first of ten rankings refers to the best players of all-time by role on the field in my criteria. Obviously it's based on a highly subjective opinion, but the main criterion is to all of these the same:

1. Brightness and longevity of their highest levels
    2. Consistency thoughout their careers
    3. Individual skills and abilities
    4. Public consideration in their own times
    5. Greatness acquired by specific scenarios

This is the list of goalkeepers, the complete article in Spanish is here: http://glavisted.blogspot.com/2010/10/top-50-de-arqueros.html

01. YASHIN, Lev (Soviet Union)
    02. ZOFF, Dino (Italy)
    03. SCHMEICHEL, Peter (Denmark)
    04. ZAMORA, Ricardo (Spain)
    05. BANKS, Gordon (England)
    06. BUFFON, Gianluigi (Italy)
    07. MAIER, Sepp (Germany)
    08. CARRIZO, Amadeo (Argentina)
    09. KAHN, Oliver (Germany)
    10. PLÁNICKA, Frantisek (Czechoslovakia)

11. DASAYEV, Rinat (Soviet Union)
    12. FILLOL, Ubaldo (Argentina)
    13. CASILLAS, Íker (Spain)
    14. MAZURKIEWICZ, Ladislao (Uruguay)
    15. GILMAR (Gylmar dos Santos Neves) (Brazil)
    16. JENNINGS, Pat (Northern Ireland)
    17. VAN DER SAR, Edwin (Netherlands)
    18. COMBI, Gianpiero (Italy)
    19. SHILTON, Peter (England)
    20. BEARA, Vladimir (Yugoslavia)

21. HIDEN, Rudi (Austria)
    22. PFAFF, Jean-Marie (Belgium)
    23. SCHUMACHER, Toni (Germany)
    24. ZENGA, Walter (Italy)
    25. GROSICS, Gyula (Hungary)
    26. CHILAVERT, José Luis (Paraguay)
    27. MÁSPOLI, Roque (Uruguay)
    28. PREUD'HOMME, Michel (Belgium)
    29. TRAUTMANN, Bert (Germany)
    30. SOUTHALL, Neville (Wales)

31. SWIFT, Frank (England)
    32. IRIBAR, José Ángel (Spain)
    33. RAMALLETS, Antoni (Spain)
    34. CLEMENCE, Ray (England)
    35. VIKTOR, Ivo (Czechoslovakia)
    36. CROY, Jürgen (East Germany)
    37. ARCONADA, Luis (Spain)
    38. ALBERTOSI, Enrico (Italy)
    39. HARDY, Sam (England)
    40. HELLSTRÖM, Ronnie (Sweden)

41. ÉMERSON LEAO (Brazil)
    42. PAGLIUCA, Gianluca (Italy)
    43. VAN BREUKELEN, Hans (Netherlands)
    44. LIVINGSTONE, Sergio (Chile)
    45. ZUBIZARRETA, Andoni (Spain)
    46. MAZALI, Andrés (Uruguay)
    47. CECH, Petr (Czech Republic)
    48. PERUZZI, Angelo (Italy)
    49. ZEMAN, Walter (Austria)
    50. TILKOWSKI, Hans (Germany)

2. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

My initial thought is that Shilton is too low (and by some way).

Looking at your criteria

1. Brightness and longevity of their highest levels

Top quality top division footballer for over 20 years and almost 850 top flight games. An England international (at a deep position) over a 20 year period. Played more competetive games than any other player, and by some distance.

2. Consistency thoughout their careers

As above. Very rarely was he not considered one of the top keepers around.

3. Individual skills and abilities

The best positional skills of any keeper I've ever seen. Rarely was he caught out.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lpIgLYETPI"]Peter Shilton Tribute - YouTube[/ame]

Most of the above clips come from the latter years of his career.

4. Public consideration in their own times

Named PFA Player of the Year in 1978. One of only two keepers ever to win the award.
    One of only two keepers named in the first batch of entrants to the English Football Hall of Fame.

5. Greatness acquired by specific scenarios

Joint record for the most clean sheets at the World Cup, and generally playing behind a far less able defensive unit than Barthez.

3. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Club:
    Feyenoord
    Good points but just one but... Someone can argue that of those 20 years about 5 years were a bit too long. He himself admitted that 1990WC wasn't that easy for him any more, physically spoken.

Still, 15 years at top level is a great achievement.

4. lanman

A couple of points to add.

Shilton kept 66 clean sheets in 125 internationals. If this is not the record, then it's pretty close (I think Casillas has 65, but I'm not certain). In 53 competetive internationals (Euro & World Cup Qualifiers and Finals) he kept 33 clean sheets in 53 games.

He was named in the PFA team of the year 10 times (only Kenny Sansom has more) and for 9 straight from 1978 to 1986.

5. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Club:
    Feyenoord
    Also, the other keeper that won the PFA player of the year was Shay Given. With all respect for Shay Given, he isn't of the same level obviously. Shilton has been included ten times in the team of the season though.

6. lanman

He may have said it was hard, but he also reckoned he could have continued for at least another 18 months in an England shirt if he wanted to. Over his last 5 years as an international, he only conceded 34 goals in 50 matches and kept 27 clean sheets. Compare that to Iker Casillas over his last 50 games, who conceded 29 goals and kept 28 clean sheets in pretty much the prime of his career playing for a far better team than Shilton ever did.

7. lanman

It was Pat Jennings in 1976. No keeper has won it since Shilton.

8. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Club:
    Feyenoord
    That is difficult to compare. The goals per game ratio has gone up, especially when compared with the 1980s. So the likelihood of conceding goals also.

The main problem is that all great keepers have an excellent record. To just focus on Van der Sar (I would rank him between 20-25 or so; but this is probably influenced by the relative fresh memories and the extensive footage/broadcasts I've watched):
    - Record clean sheets in the Champions League (not sure about this one; could also be the total European Cup era; I will check this)
    - With a average defence (guys like Mathijssen, Opdam and Heitinga...) a European record consecutive clean sheets in international games during 2004-2006
    - World record clean sheets (minutes) in club career.
    - 130 caps, 72 times no goal conceded. In competitive internationals 49 clean sheets in 80 competitive games.

(and a couple more, I don't have the 500 pages book anymore, it is back in the library)

The Netherlands does not have a tradition with awarding prizes although he is one of the four goalkeepers since 1982 that became footballer of the year.

9. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Initially I put Peter Shilton as 13th, but then I decided down him a bit by the following points:

His longevity is remarkable and reached a very good highest peak of performance in the late 70's and the late 80's, but in the such high competition with the other first 20 goalkeepers I've the impression that their brightness isn't so extraordinary. I think his great regularity wasn't on a such high standard and that weakens him in my opinion, but not enough to be out of the Top 20.

It's true, but it's not exactly an extraordinary quality at this level mate. The 18 goalkeepers ahead of him were also almost ever considered into the best keepers in the world at their time, even others below him as Jean-Marie Pfaff, Toni Schumacher, Walter Zenga, Michel Preud'homme or Neville Southall.

Actually, I think this is a point where he gives advantages. I'm agree that his greatest virtue was his positional sense, but I can't find higher than others like Gilmar, Edwin van der Sar or even José Luis Chilavert at his best.

In other skills as agility, the effectiveness of his aerial game, the one on one block or the ability to play as sweeper even I find him below of other British goalkeeper as Southall, but I put Shilton ahead of him because his longevity.

As the first point, wouldn't be so extraordinary if you compare it with the consideration of the other 18 goalkeepers ahead of him.

Just only taking as example to Gianpiero Combi, the one immediately above him, during his career he was considering at the same level or even better in some years than a so legendary goalkeeper as Ricardo Zamora. He was a regular starter for Juventus during 12 years and at least was considered the best goalkeeper of the Italian league 5 or 6 times.

Also Pat Jennings (16th in my list) was elected as the PFA Players' Player of the Year in 1976.

A fair point that I considered.

10. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

My opinions:
    - Zoff is too up (he wasn't amazing in any big tournament and also his peak (early 70s) was equal to others rated behind them.
    - Gilmar isn't top-20 material for me (even Chilavert surpassed him on comparison)
    - I'd rated Shilton between 12-15 position (similar reasons to Zoff)
    - Grosics is the best candidate to be top-20 IMO.

11. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Casillas should be #10 IMHO. Kahn and Van der Sar could go down about 5 spots each. Dasayev could be about 3 spots higher. Leao deserves more love.

12. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Why?, I watched him playing for Santos and I believe he was even better in terms of positional sense, the best quality of Chilavert in his highest peak.

Also had an extraordinary regularity for many years facing to amazing attacking players and never dropped notably his level as the Paraguayan in his last years.

13. bonnrush

bonnrush New Member

Club:
    Liverpool FC
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1uYgb41KD0"]Liverpool vs Chelsea 4 : 4 All Goals HQ 480p - YouTube[/ame] Petr Cech ..

14. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

I think Lev Yashin is too high.

15. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator Staff Member

Germany
    Well, who should be #1 then?
    And isn't that usually the time when wee see the famous Gregoriak posts with thousands of lines, videos and quotes from professional articles? ;)

16. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Club:
    Manchester United FC
    England
    My initial thougts are that this look ok, but I can't help thinking that Neville Southall should be a touch higher. Am I wrong in thinking this?

I don't think I've ever seen a keeper with his physcial atributes, especially considering that he was, in all honesty, disgracefully fat. He was absolutely MASSIVE, but so athletic and so sharp it left strikers scratching their heads as to how they hadn't scored. Maybe his bility to get down to shots was exagerated by the fact that he was so big at times.

I'd also put Seam level with the likes of Peruzzi nd Cech, personally.

17. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Club:
    Feyenoord
    Casillas is probably one of the most overrated keepers of all time. Spain attracts many gloryhunters but Casillas his main strength are his reflexes. Technically and positionally he isn't the best (this is not just my own opinion). Also his footballing skills are below average.

Dearman repped this.
  18. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Not yet. I don't feel involved enough.

But I find it funny whenver "best goalkeepers ever" lists are published, usually a lively debate is incited about various keepers being too high or too low, but hardly ever the #1 is questioned who is by default in almost every list Lev Yashin, as if it was a law of nature to have him #1.

Not even Pelé is as undisputed as Yashin is (Pelé having to fight off Maradona). Yashin is the most undisputed football great of all and I wonder why.

In my opinion, there is no undisputed #1 goalkeeper historically, unlike other positions, where people can settle on a core group of 2 or 3 players. Among goalkeepers, looking at Yashin's achievements, one might just as well have Banks, Zoff, Schmeichel, Zamora or a couple of other names as the #1 keeper.

With goalies, people are chosing the easy route and have Yashin as #1, it only gets creative from spot 2 downwards.

19. Pyros

Pyros Member

Club:
    Valencia CF
    Spain
    Yes, it is. A guy who has won everything there is to win in football and saving his teams in important matches along the way is "overrated", the things I have to read :rolleyes:

20. comme

comme Moderator Staff Member

Absolutely. He was the best shot stopper of the last 30 years IMO. Also the most underrated keeper ever for me. The idea of Preudhomme being better than him is just mad.

As you say, Southall pulled off so many saves that just seemed to be impossible. I got to see him play for Wales many, many times and he was phenomenal.

I also never understand how the likes of Dasaev can be put ahead of Shilton. I mean what did Dasaev do at either club or international level that Shilton didn't?

Shilton was like Buffon. He didn't have any flaws to his game. He was incredibly strong in every single area of the game and maintained that form throughout his careers.

I was just recently looking through Jimmy Greaves and Ian St John's review of the 1990 WC. Both of them chose Shilton as the best keeper of the tournament, and that was at 40.

21. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Club:
    Feyenoord
    Yes, that is was a mistake.

I'm surprised by the high place of Schmeichel. But maybe Peru FC can explain that.

I'm also surprised by the inclusion of Van Breukelen in the top 50. In the Netherlands he was always a controversial choice, except for the last couple of years of his career. Van Breukelen was looked down upon as a 'remade goalkeeper' which basically says he lacked natural talent. The most infamous incident came when he tried to bounce the ball on a space where the ball did not bounce back. Van Breukelen did not kick the ball as far away as he could do but choose to grab the ball back in his hands and the referee whistled for an indirect free kick. Feyenoord scored out of this free kick in the last minutes of the game and both teams shared the points.
    In the aftermath the media began to plea for the Ajax goalkeeper Stanley Menzo (a so called 'modern' libero keeper who could kick well and precise with both legs). Van Breukelen could not handle this mentally (he himself admitted that later) and said that Ajax-coach Cruijff had to do with it. Not a smart remark so he received even more criticism for his mental weaknesses.
    Also his stance towards Germans received regular criticism during his career. Although the media understood why he hated them, with his personal history, they felt he was mentally out of control in those matches (during Van Breukelen's reign Holland played 6 times against Germany).

So, he wasn't untouchable during his career, like Van der Sar was (in his time at Fulham, he was still the undisputed number 1 in the goal).

22. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Club:
    Feyenoord
    Also, why is Zamora always standard top 10 material? Because he was the first to beat England?

23. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Club:
    Feyenoord
    Shilton has also admitted that England would have had a better chance in the 1990 penalty shoot-out with a younger goalkeeper. Apparently, it were a couple of years too far.

24. comme

comme Moderator Staff Member

Penalties at the end were his one weakness. He went the right way for every single penalty but couldn't get near them. To be fair, every one was in the corner, so I'm now sure even Goycochea would have saved them.

25. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Club:
    Feyenoord
    About: Preud'homme. In the Dutch speaking countries he is held in very high esteem. Most people rank him even higher than Pfaff, despite the fact that Pfaff had more caps, won more in his career and played at 'better' clubs. Preud'homme was an idol for a whole generation of Dutch keepers, like Ruud Hesp, Edwin van der Sar and Ronald Waterreus. Pfaff on the contrary is sometimes also seen as a clown (which is not entirely fair but nonetheless..).

Moderators: comme