Torres-so clean!!

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Bruce S, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

I was impressed with Torres. The dude has a very clean touch and clean play all around. He looks like he could be a great player!

2. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Ain't nobody dope as Torres...

I'm hoping Bradley continue to find a way to get him on the field. He certainly changes the complexion of game, or at least our attack.

He's been on the field twice now when we've come back to get a result.
  3. bojackson

bojackson New Member

Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    United States
    Torres, as of right now, is the best central mid we have. Bradley has shown good form in the past few years, but right now, he's not good. Clark and Feilhaber disappear out there.

Put him and Jones in central mid, Bob. Enough with the nepotism. It can tear a team apart.
  4. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

umm, we have never seen Jones play for the USA. But you know how good he will be for the USA? Play the stock market much?

5. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

United States
    Torres played great
  6. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Club:
    Millwall FC
    United States
    I thought Torres looked fantastic. It's going to be interesting to see how Bob divides the playing time among the center mids going forward.
  7. Red Card

Red Card Member

Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    United States
    Torres turned the game around. He fixed our weakness. He is very quick, maintains possession, moves fast, thinks fast, and most of all, seems to enjoy playing the game even when the pressure is the highest. He is the prototype mexican/central-american midfielder.
  8. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

nope- much better than that!
  9. bojackson

bojackson New Member

Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    United States
    I'm sorry, do we play with different rules than they do in Germany or something? Assuming Jones comes back off of injury and has the same form as he did before, he will better than anyone else in the running for a central mid role. You don't captain a Bundesliga team and play for the German NT by being a slouch, you know? Have you ever even seen him play? He's beastly...albeit sometimes too much and has a penchant for getting cards.

I can't even remember the last time I saw one of our midfielders make a hard tackle and win the ball. We sorely need Jones...or someone like him. I haven't seen Edu play enough to know much about him, but he might be there too. Bradley is playing poor at the moment. You think BMG benched him for some other reason?
  10. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Club:
    Columbus Crew
    United States
    I think there are certain scenarios that are better suited for Torres to play in. The way we match up against other teams will dictate whether or not he starts, plays or is just sitting on the bench. Combine that with the score and the flow of the game and its not as easy as saying he should always be out there.

**I personally like his play a lot and think he should get more minutes**
  11. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Your memory is rather bad: last night Torres won an excellent tackle on the left side near the end of the game that started an attack that ended in one of our goals.
    Here is the rub: the international game is called WAY closer than either MLS or Bundesliga. Players who rely on fierce play can really be in trouble at the WC or other big FIFA tournaments. So given that, how good will Jones be in a game when hard physical play is punished? Unless you are Nostradamus, you have no idea.
  12. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

agree, touch fouls get called far more than in mls..

still, you need a defensive presence, but some one with great mobility, who isn't chasing the game, but ahead of it, reads things well...

if not, you need to be ready for cards, and if it's red, don't say you weren't warned
  13. Digs

Digs Member

Benny had a tackle in the middle of the field that was much "harder" and also won the ball. Only for someone, (donovan?) to promptly cough it up.
  14. Scoey

Scoey Member

Torres needs to be on the field somewhere for this team. His touch and composure are like a breath of fresh air. Call me crazy, but he could be play a Claudio Reyna-like role in the future. He just has a way of settling things when he's in. In short, I want to marry him.
  15. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Torres was fantastic.

But we need to keep things in check here.

Costa Rica had backed off - he wasn't under pressure. He backed out of a couple challenges, and he cannot be our team's DM. He isn't a Jones, Edu, or even Clark. I'd love to see him played from the opening whistle under pressure. Frankly, I thought he was the best US player on the field the first half in Saprissa - people blew his defensive miss way out of proportion. But we still need to see more of him when the midfield is under pressure. Early signs are good. He's a DEAD accurate passer - a novelty in our pool.

Like I said in the midfield thread, I'd love to see this lineup:

--------------- Altidore

Donovan - Torres - Bradley - Dempsey

---------------- Jones

Bornstein - Edu - Gooch - Cherundolo

---------------- Howard

Don't think it will ever happen, but I'd love to see it.
  16. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Come to Massachusetts and we will let you do just that!!
  17. Red Card

Red Card Member

Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    United States
    lol
  18. rep21

rep21 New Member

Club:
    Manchester United FC
    United States
    Uh, no. Go watch the end of the game. The CR player is taking the ball to the corner to waste time and only Torres is near him. Torres picks it cleanly and moves it up the field and we eventually win the corner kick which Bornstein scores. That was the best tackle of the night and much "harder" due to the fact that we really needed the ball back asap.

Altidore was probably our best player last night, but Torres wasn't far behind. He was fantastic and its a shame he hasn't been given more time since the first CR game.
  19. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

that was an EXCELLENT tackle. A real beauty.
  20. Digs

Digs Member

I don't think you have any idea what a "hard" tackle is. (Hint: It doesn't mean "difficult".)

I'll agree torres played very well and that was a great play. Doesn't change my point at all.
  21. MMJ4mil

MMJ4mil Member

Iraq
    He should be starting...

the guy gets regular minutes for Pachuca... He was to go to Deportivo la Coruna in la liga but talks broke down...

Jay Demerit and Torres are my two favorite players on the NT :)
  22. McGinty

McGinty Member

Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I agree that with Davies out, Bradley should be working on getting this team to play in a formation other than 4-4-2. However, failing that, Dempsey could simply be moved to forward, Donovan goes to the right, and Torres plays on the left.
  23. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Bolivia
    YESSS!! FINALLY! People see how great a midfielder he is, I am glad he is with the US, not mexico!

Hopefully he represents the future of american midfielders. His style mixed in with physically strong and fast forwards would be insane!
  24. radmonkey

radmonkey Member

Yes, I hope people understand why I criticised bradley for not playing him in Azteca. :rolleyes: He's exactly the sort of player who would have made a difference, that's before you take into account that he's plays in Azteca several times a year and lives in a HIGHER altitude than Mexico City.
  25. rep21

rep21 New Member

Club:
    Manchester United FC
    United States
    Hence the quotes, guy.