Transfer. Who is moving where?

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by fknbuflobo, Dec 16, 2013.

1. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States

2. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

UCLA is going to get a German D1 forward from the east coast. This player is going to thrive at UCLA.
  3. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
  4. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

6. xpowerout

xpowerout Member

Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    United States
    I've heard some rumblings that Mael Corboz will be transferring from Rutgers to Maryland. No official confirmation.
  7. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

I wouldn't be surprised if Dakota Edwards and/or Alex Crognale transfer from Maryland. These guys didn't come to College Park to sit and if they aren't going to play for Sasho they'll go where they can play.

Also, if Zack Steffen comes back, I think Keith Cardona goes elsewhere.

Speaking of GKs, someone is gonna be leaving Charlottesville. Calloe Brown, who will be a redshirt senior next year, started all the games in the ACC and NCAA Tournament. Jeff Gal, who was a freshmen All America last year at Creighton, came to Charlottesville to start and he did till the last game of the regular season this year. And Spencer LaCivita, who missed this season with an injury but started his first two years, will presumably be healthy next year. And to top it off, UVa has a verbal commitment from Jefferson Caldwell, one of the top ranked GKs in the incoming freshman class.

The first three have proven they can play for a good D-I team and now another starter of their caliber is coming aboard. I can't see all of them in Charlottesville next fall.
    BigSalmon repped this.
  8. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    I stand corrected. Please keep us posted.

I have heard that it pays to be bilingual in LA. I just assumed the second language to be Espanol.:confused:
  9. No shinguards

No shinguards Member

Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    United States
    From .....? Loyola of Maryland perhaps?
  10. SydneyFan11

SydneyFan11 Member

Loyola Md. forward Larry Ndjock tweeted that he is going there at the end of November.

See here, couldn't figure out how to embed it.
  11. Hararea

Hararea Member+

If UCLA provides Salcedo with a big enough stockpile of talent that he can win a national title without coaching them at all, will he still find a way to screw it up? ;)
    fknbuflobo and unnamedsource repped this.
  12. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Probably.
    JoeSoccerFan repped this.
  13. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

posted 5 hours ahead of me.

And yes, since Larry announced it publicly that is the player that I heard about.
  14. Wayne Famous

Wayne Famous Member

Club:
    FC Bayern M√ľnchen
    United States
    Surprised they would give a player his release to transfer in conference.
    fknbuflobo and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  15. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Maybe they forgot they were gonna be in the same conference.

I mean, it is the Rutgers athletic department we're talking about.
  16. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

So after having had a couple of days to process the Larry Ndjock to UCLA thing, I continue to be baffled why a program like UCLA has to continue to built its roster through foreign transfers.

It's UCLA - they get first pick of the best players in the best talent-base in the country and have a great appeal to those players. But instead he's bringing in Victor Munoz (Spain, via Iona), Leo Stoltz (Germany, via George Mason), Jordan Vale (New Zealand via Syracuse) and now Ndjock (Germay via Loyola).

Is there that much pressure on Salcedo to win? Is he unable to get better players locally? Is he lazy?

It also should be noted that the only foreign starter on a national champion the past few years was Akron's Darren Mattocks.

Notre Dame, Indiana, North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland and Wake Forest didn't have international players starting for them when they won it all. And more times than not, the teams that make the Final Four have few, if any, foreign players.
  17. Mark Johnson

Mark Johnson Member

Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    The Loyola Maryland kid will do at UCLA...speaking of the Bruins....I have heard they will be redistributing wealth as well as they are sending at least 3 out....all bench players but as Sandon and others have said...that doesn't mean they aren't good...they just aren't Salcedo good. Which is a whole other issue....to be fair UCLA has won national championship in 1985, 1990, 1997, and 2002: all Schmid except for Fitzgerald in 2002
    finished second in 1970, 1972, 1973, and 2006: all Dennis Storer except for Salcedo in 2006
    They went to the College Cup (final 4) in 1974, 1984, 1994, 1999, 2011: Fischer in 74, Schmid in 84 and 94; Saldana in 99, and Salcedo in 2011

So the final tally says:
    Schmid: 3 NCAA titles, 2 College Cup Semi Losses in 19 years
    Saldana: 1 College Cup Semi in 3 years
    Fitzgerald: 1 NCAA title in 2 years
    Dennis Storer: 3 NCAA Runner-Ups in 7 years
    Terry Fisher: 1 College Cup Semi in 1 year
    Salcedo: 2 College Cup Semis in 9 years

Salcedo is under a huge expectation (from all of us) to win but since 2004 the following programs have made the College Cup:
    Maryland and Wake both with 5; Maryland with 2 titles and Wake with 1
    UVA and UNC both with 4: Both won 1 title
    UCLA, IU, UCSB, Creighton, UNM, Akron with 2: IU, Akron, and UCSB won 1 title
    Duke, Ohio State, Louisville, Michigan, SMU, Clemson, UNCC, St John's, Georgetown, Notre Dame with 1: Only Notre Dame won a title

So if you look at his sample size and the trends, 20 schools have been to the College Cup in those 9 years, 8 have won it...only UNM, UCLA, and Creighton have been multiple times and not won it. Basically, I think this says that he has done a decent job with the best talent in the country....is that good enough....not my call...I lean towards maybe.
  18. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    Mark Johnson, you are too kind.

Give me UCLA's talent and I will win a championship. No bout adoubt it.
  19. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Or give Sasho, Bobby Clark, Gelnovatch, Porter, etc... UCLA's talent and resources and what do you get?
  20. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    Oh, yeah. Those guys would definitely win with UCLA's talent. Perhaps easily.

I'm saying that I would win with UCLA's talent, which is a far greater affront to the current coach. Seriously. I have a coaching license. Why not? How many pros have come out of UCLA during the last decade?
    unnamedsource repped this.
  21. No shinguards

No shinguards Member

Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    United States

Curious here.. do you think UCLA has a deeper talent pool, about the same, or more shallow, than the other coaches you mentioned?

In order of depth, I would have ranked Maryland as deepest, followed by UVA, then ND this year.. Albeit Akron was loaded 2 years ago.... I guess I'm wondering where you place UCLA in the pecking order of recruitment.. I just don't see them as top 5.... but then again.. except the last couple years. .and perhaps years ahead.. neither was ND....
    fknbuflobo repped this.
  22. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    Good question.

I do not closely follow the TDS recruiting class rankings. Not sure how far those can be trusted. How much does it matter that a class is ranked 8th overall as opposed to 3rd? I will leave the statistical analysis derived from those rankings to someone else.

Of the elite programs you listed (and more), I think UCLA has consistently been among the very best recruiting, year over year, for a decade. Jorge Salcedo has coached more blue-chip high school recruits during his ten years as UCLA HC than has any other school.

There is no plausible justification for Bruins consistently underachieving in the NCAA Tournament. Salcedo has done less with more.
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
    unnamedsource repped this.
  23. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Not much question that the pro products they're getting are talented, well-trained, and mature. Even if Salcedo fails to win with them, other coaches will find a way.

And of course, Ndjock - like Munoz, Stolz, and Vobejda - is another player who benefits from a system that allows him to compete as a sophomore when he's already as old as this year's seniors.
  24. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Learning something every day: Cracker jack has improved their "toy surprise inside" to include a soccer coaching license.
  25. Hararea

Hararea Member+

... says the guy who just revised his resume to put his NCAA prediction contest championships in bold and italics. ;)