News: Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Fiosfan, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Member+

Club:
    Toronto FC
    United States

2. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

3. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Wow, the Boston Magazine article on the Krafts is going to cause a stir. It's not so much that the content is surprising, but to see it in a more mainstream publication in the Kraft's home town is.
  4. sitruc

sitruc Member+

I hadn't realized they finally put that online.

When I saw the first post, it was just the schedule.

5. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Yeah, I saw it two days ago but couldn't link it and only mentioned it on the the thread.
    Good job, as usual to Fiosfan!

Just the fact that it is in a mainstream publication is a big deal IMO. It's at least recognition, and in this case even bad attention can only be good. A catchy front page headline that will attract the curious and many of the worshipping on their knees St. Bob legions.

It may not be much, it won't change anything right now, bit it's a start at least.
    Mucky, sitruc and Fiosfan repped this.
  6. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Member+

Club:
    Toronto FC
    United States
    I forgot to mention that Mr Zoidberg had posted the Boston Magazie story initially. My bad.
    Zoidberg repped this.
  7. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

I didn't get the job done however. Freddy Adu could have used you. I am Freddy creating all of these dangerous opps, and you finished!

Great little remarks by Martino in there. Now we all know why he retired. It surprised a lot of us when he hung the boots up back then. Not anymore.
  8. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Club:
    Columbus Crew
    United States
    The deification of Bob Kraft is such an article of faith now that it seemed like even that piece pulls it's punches by pointing to Jonathan. It was the same over the last few years with the Crew, with the Hunt family dispatching Lamar Hunt II to be "the family representative to the Crew". This was supposed to demonstrate that the problems weren't because Clark Hunt and the rest of the organization really only cared about the Chiefs, although, frankly, it's the truth.

But this personal touch fell pretty flat because Lamar Jr. really had no official capacity, but rather would show up sometimes and shake some hands to demonstrate the Hunt's deep passion and caring for Columbus. His title really was "Hunt Family Representative to the Columbus Crew" and we were assured tha, behind the scenes, he was keeping tabs on the goings on.

Meanwhile, Hunt Sports ignored the Crew as much as possible. Same deal with the Revs. The solution for Columbus - and KC before them - was to lose the NFL ownership group which was always going to see them as the redheaded stepson, and get an ownership whose sole focus is building a soccer team.
    bgix, okcomputer and Zoidberg repped this.
  9. tab5g

tab5g Member+

Wow. Who saw that coming?

And, on top of all that, the airline has nice things to say about their new sponsored partner:

10. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Yup. That's why it is so surprising to me that someone in a mainstream pub even did this.

St Bob has become an untouchable in Boston, and no matter how nice of a guy he is, you still are better off pulling your punches.

The author at least hits all the major points of concern, and doubts over the Revs future as long as the Krafts run the show. I give the guy credit. He did what no one has had the care or will to do...in a professional manner.
    Just criticizing St Bob is enough to get you ignored here.
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  11. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Mods, just a suggestion, but it might be worthwhile to split the Kraft story off into its own thread. I suspect it is going to generate a fair amount of comment.
    JasonMa repped this.
  12. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

I'll stop.
  13. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Club:
    Columbus Crew
    United States
    And to be completely cold about it, the whole process was completed when his wife died. Idiots like the stooges at ESPN just love pathos.

So he's a rich guy who owns an NFL team and hosts ridiculously lavish parties in his private box and invites famous people to come and rave about how terrific the food is.

Everybody loves a winner.
    Zoidberg repped this.
  14. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Club:
    Toronto FC
    Canada
    It'd have been nicer to get a US domestic carrier as a sponsor with free flights for MLS teams. maybe make some of the traveling a bit easier?
  15. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Club:
    New England Revolution
    United States
    The real kicker is that if it weren't a mainstream publication, the author could have gotten into issues such as

• The on-again, off-again relationship between supporters, security, the team's front office, and the ownership.
    • The fact that team's payroll has been among the lowest in the league since the MLSPA started releasing the figures.
    • The fact that there were seasons when the Revs didn't have enough players under contract to fill out an 18-man gameday roster.
    • The lack of experienced, proven professionals in their front office.
    • The number of quality Revs staffers that have "graduated" to working for the Patriots.
    • The time they sold a CONCACAF Champions Cup home game to Alajuelense.
    • The time they fooled an injured Portuguese-speaking player into signing an English-language document stating he was healthy so that they could release him.
    You talk to former players and/or employees about the organization, and you constantly hear teams like cheap, untrustworthy, incompetent, and disinterested. People who have been on the inside, basically confirm nearly every fear that Revs fans have about how the team is run.
    Kejsare, RafaLarios, sitruc and 9 others repped this.
  16. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Vergara down, Kraft to go.
    Lancaster FC repped this.
  17. tab5g

tab5g Member+

MLS has had domestic airline partners previously.

MLS is now (more and more so) an international business. (And international businesses can tend to be more successful than domestic-based businesses.)

This has everything to do with NYCFC.
  18. Knave

Knave Member+

Club:
    DC United
  19. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Throw Hauptman in that mix please.
    firefan2001 repped this.
  20. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

LOL. Nail meet head on all counts. Cold but true.

It reminds me of Henry when he bought the Red Sox. Broke the curse, won another series, provided a perennial contender. Blessed be Mr Henry....huzzah!

The Sox then had a poor year in 2012, and the sh*tstorm thrown down on him during that offseason was both pathetic, hypocritical and hilarious all in the same breathe. A large portion of the media and fan base, not some small radical group, wanted him out. They wanted him to sell. Turned their backs on their savior just like that.
    Now he is an OK dude again.

Winning cures everything.

Dead on about Bob however.
  21. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Member+

Club:
    Toronto FC
    United States
    DCU owner shaping up to be the same .
    Eastern Bear repped this.
  22. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

I think DC politics doesn't help any owner look good there.
  23. Knave

Knave Member+

Club:
    DC United
    Wahl thinks we've got it worst ...

24. tab5g

tab5g Member+

I can see why Wahl splits the hairs as he does.

Revs owners also own a winner (Patriots).

DCU's primary owners also own the 76ers and (are part-owners of) the SF Giants. (Internationally, Thohir also has Inter Milan.)

So it is a mixed (or rather winless) bag for the DC United owners. But the shared-market and local "winner" aspect of the Patriots certainly plays into the overall (beyond soccer/MLS) perception or reputation of Kraft, it would seem.

But "controlling the venue" and "contacts in the sports/media business via NFL" do likely place "NE" ahead of "DC" in terms of "least unfavorable/non-desirable" ownership group.
  25. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Club:
    Chicago Fire
    United States