USA-Canada: Thoughts

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by TheNearPost, Jan 30, 2013.

1. TheNearPost

TheNearPost Member+

Club:
    Chelsea FC
    We lacked creativity. I'm sure I don't have to tell anyone that, but it has to be said. We've been hearing nothing but praise for Graham Zusi and Brad Davis for months/years now, and, in fairness, they deserve it. They're good players who've done well with their club teams.

However, they're probably not the guys we should turn to if we're looking to play progressive, proactive, attacking football. These guys provide excellent service and crossing, yes, but if we're going to play the aformentioned style, we need more than just good ball strikers and good crossers. We need genuinely creative, cultered ball players who know how to poke holes in any defense combined with the appropriate amount of directness.

This is why we may not be done with Benny Feilhaber, Landon Donovan, and Stuart Holden, why Michael Bradley is such a vital part of this team, and why it's so perplexing that Mikkel Diskerud couldn't even manage a substitutes appearance in a game that could have used his attacking verve. All of the above guys show intelligence in their ball-playing and ball movement that is key to an attacking side.

Josh Gatt was a welcome entry in the second half. He needs to become more disciplined, that's for sure, but his pace and dribbling from the left flank was at least asking questions of Canada's players. Played on his opposite foot, he received the ball wide and would cut inside, drawing the Canadian central midfield out of shape at times and making room for the U.S. midfield to advance past. However, the passes he played after dribbling past Canadian players usually either wasn't right, or never came at all. Still, he's a prospect that needs to stay in Klinsmann's scope, and offers the direct style of play that is also key to have should you wish to play with more possession.

Overall, I think Juergen's player selection was quite off, and didn't really make much sense.
    soccerusa517, yankeeRoyal and alocksley repped this.

2. yankeeRoyal

yankeeRoyal Member+

Club:
    Bahia Salvador
    United States
    0-0 is a common result. Man City couldn't break through QPR a few days ago and it also ended 0-0. It is no wonder that the vast majority of americans don't watch. I'm a passionate fan, yet even I am frequently bored to tears by the sport.
  3. Aduesque

Aduesque Member

Club:
    FK Jagodina
    United States
    Of course the most creative player in the pool was passed over.
  4. yankeeRoyal

yankeeRoyal Member+

Club:
    Bahia Salvador
    United States
    Einstein took a job in the Swiss patent office because no one would hire him as a high school math teacher. Genius is scary. Conventional is safe.
    Aduesque repped this.

5. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

This often gets lost. The hardest thing to do in football is create chances against a well organized, determined, bunkering defensive position. ManCity get stonewalled often. The only two teams I know that effectively 'gamble' to beat bunkers are ManUnited and Chelsea.
  6. Otergod

Otergod Member

Club:
    Chicago Fire
    United States
    But why bunker in a friendly? If Canada was in fact preparing for the Gold Cup they wont win a single match playing like that... even against minnow CONCACAF teams
  7. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Because they were hammered and embarrased by Denmark last week and needed to regain a measure of pride? I think the result mattered to them, even if it was just a friendly.
  8. Otergod

Otergod Member

Club:
    Chicago Fire
    United States
    great experience for their young players ;)

although they will play teams where they are forced to bunker so i guess not all wasted
  9. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Practicing the bunker and giving experience to newbies are honest, rational coaching points. But these guys are athletes and by nature highly competitive. Even my old farts mens team would play harder the week after suffering a whooping. On a human, competitve, honor and pride basis, I'm quite sure those Canadians really cared about that game last night, and a bunkered draw against a more talented opponent had meaning for each player.
  10. TheNearPost

TheNearPost Member+

Club:
    Chelsea FC

Both true. I forgot to give some serious credit to a Canadian side that really put it together for 90 minutes.

That said, I think that we still had the wrong players out there for beating a bunkered defense. While getting crosses in is one way, we were way too predictable. You can bet your bottom dollar that DeRo gave his backline a serious talking to about the fact that his boy and former teammate from Houston Brad Davis was going to be swinging in crosses like an angry priest ninja.

I liked the introduction of Josh Gatt a lot because his dribbles inside were drawing players out of shape, but his final ball was usually pretty poor. Feilhaber as well looked pretty good. These are the kinds of players we need to beat defenses that pack it in - players that unsettle the shape of a team and players that exploit the spaces created with good passes or runs. Had Gatt picked his head up a bit more, he probably would have find some good combinations to play with Feilhaber and Johnson.

I'm not TOO concerned overall. I feel like neither the coach or the players really impressed that well. The tactical set up didn't help, and the players didn't help themselves. I imagine Juergen will do better against Honduras. The problem is that better than what we saw last night really isn't saying much, and may not be enough for San Pedro Sula.
  11. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

My thoughts.

First off, this was a B/C team for the US. Then again, this was an absolutely dreadfully bad Canadian team. Its hard to really pass too much judgement on team performance, because to be frank, you're looking at maybe 5 guys from this roster that might have an impact on qualifying.

That said, it is discouraging to see a continuing trend with US Soccer under Klinsmann. We dominate possession and have very few quality scoring chances to show for it, often resulting in low scoring or no scoring affairs against inferior competition.

This has been true regardless of it being our A team our B team or our C team. At a certain point, that comes down to coaching and the system.

But Camp Cupcake is more about evaluating individual players.

With Canada bunkering in, our outside backs should have been more involved. Beltran and Morrow were more or less worthless in this regard.

Omar and Besler had virtually nothing to do all game, but I was impressed with Besler's long distribution out of the back at times. Showed good vision and accuracy. Not perfect, but enough to catch the eye. Omar showed that he is dangerous on set pieces going forward,

Kyle Beckerman - Didn't do anything to move himself up the pecking order at CDM, but he didn't do anything to hurt himself either.

Brad Evans - Forgot he was even playing for long stretches of the match. Why were we playing with two DCMs againts a team that was bunkering? Oh yeah, Jurgen set the lineup.

Brad Davis - Served in nice balls on set pieces, but that was it.

Graham Zusi - Did not have an impactful game, but we've seen his quality in the past, so yeah.

Wondo - I've defended Wondo in the past, and he showed a proclivity for being around the ball in the box, but his finishing was piss poor.

EJ - The hero of A&B, with the exception of one play where he split to defenders in the corner and served in a good cross, was largely ineffective. Might be worth looking at on the wing rather than up top.

Josh Gatt - Made a lot of "young" errors. Too much dribbling, no left foot, poor decision making. He might have a future with the US, but he's not ready yet.

Bedoya - Was never good enough for the national team. Still isn't good enough for the national team.

Feilhaber - Showed good vision and passing. Was pretty much the only guy that was unlocking the Canadian defense all night. His passes were pretty much always the pass the opened the field for us to get dangerous crosses in. Probably the best player on the field for the US last night.

Agudelo - Like Gatt, pretty much tried to dribble through the entire team every time he touched the ball. Kid needs to get away from Chivas USA and learn how to play the game.
  12. TheNearPost

TheNearPost Member+

Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I wouldn't go so far as to say they couldn't win. I do think that the coach was doing something similar to what Juergen was focusing on - get a good idea of what to do defensively, worry about this team's offense afterwards.
  13. nobody

nobody Member+

Against good teams, Canada will often bunker. It makes sense for them to do so. They gain little to nothing to try to run and gun and just get run over. Practice defensing against a stronger team is actually much more useful an exercise for them. It's also good practice for the US since breaking down a packed defense has long been a weakness.

Funny that it was not long ago at all, people would get upset when bigger countries criticized the US for playing defensively in friendlies. This is no different.
    Ghosting and bmo180 repped this.
  14. Otergod

Otergod Member

Club:
    Chicago Fire
    United States
    If they play 10 players behind the ball and isolate DeRo up top alone, i would be surprised if they won a match in the GC that way. However, i doubt they will play that in the GC so the point is truly moot. Basically if you are evaluating your players, why not let them play? You are already out of the WC, you need to organize and create some sense of chemistry, why not play the style you want? It is just a friendly. What i found is Canada was capable of bunkering with the best of concacacf bunker'ers. Figured Guatemala had that style trademarked ;)
  15. KingFootball

KingFootball New Member

Club:
    Liverpool FC
    England
    Obviously this was the B/C squad, and it showed last night. Agudelo, Feilhaber and Gatt IMO, were the only ones who didn't hurt their chances of going to Honduras. Luckily for the US, they play in Concacaf and because of that, I don't have any doubts that they'll be in Brazil '14, so there is no sense in losing sleep over the USNT situation. Of course, comes WC time it will be a whole different story.
  16. comoesa

comoesa Member+

United States
    Nah, We had DeLeon, Rowe, Adu, and Feilhaber. All available for this camp. We have creative players

Are we really committed to playing attacking soccer, even against weak sides?

I wonder.
  17. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

We're definitely committed to passing the ball around the middle third. But attacking soccer. I think starting Beckerman and Brad Evans in the center of the park pretty much answers that question.

Par for the course really under Klinsmann.
    Berks repped this.
  18. jclampit

jclampit Member

Are you referring to Adu or Aduesque? :)
  19. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

United States
    As a team, we held the ball too long and didn't make good runs off the ball. Both Beltran an Morrow made overlapping runs, but they never really committed to them. When they got the ball, they took too many touches and rarely sent in a quick cross (the same could be said for EJ, Zusi, Evans, Gatt, Bedoya, ... and others as well). In addition, none of our players were making good hard runs through the center of the pitch.

When we did create chances, it was with quick ball movement. Wondo and Davis had one good quick combination in the first half that was probably the most flowing move of the match. Feilhaber had a great pass shortly after he came on, and Agudelo had some nice touches as well. In addition, Wondo's runs off the ball were really very good, but EJ wasn't working with him, and Zusi and Davis (for the most part) did a poor job of getting the ball into the center at the right time.

Our defense looked quite good. Omar was Omar, and Besler looked solid... however, there wasn't much of a challenge there for them.

Over-all, I'm not particularly concerned. Klinsi uses these matches to test specific players in specific roles, not to try to win at all costs.
    Marko72 repped this.
  20. USAsoccer1

USAsoccer1 Member

Club:
    Liverpool FC
    United States
    Disappointmento_O
  21. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

He's been taking a sabbatical but Bruce Arena says he'll definitely be back this season.
  22. dna77054

dna77054 Member

If that were the case, Honduras would not have put 8 past them in a must tie game for Canada
  23. Aduesque

Aduesque Member

Club:
    FK Jagodina
    United States
    LD10 is not the most creative, he is our best player but that's about it.
  24. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Adu is a better 1v1 dribbler than Donovan, and when he makes a good decision, his passing accuracy is excellent. But I would not say Adu is more creative than Donovan. Donovan has a far better sense of movement and combination play, which are very important in creative TEAM play, and his passing is also very good. Adu's off the ball movement, combination play, and decision-making are not particularly creative.
    Berks repped this.
  25. Aduesque

Aduesque Member

Club:
    FK Jagodina
    United States
    Adu accuracy on his passes are very high from European clubs and International play.
    Adu is a much better dribbler 1v1 and can beat 1v2 v. world class defenders.
    Adu has superior vision to LD10.
    Adu can create something out of nothing and LD10 can't
    Adu is just a much more skilled player
    Adu crosses can be world class, while not consistent they can be great

LD10 having a better sense of movement and combination doesn't have anything to do with creativity silly. That just means his work rate is very high and he has instincts for movement. I guess you think LD10 is more creative than Carlos Valderrama. I hope you don't try to talk to normal soccer fans with your nonsense.

This is really not up for discussion. You are fooling yourself by saying something that stupid. Messi is much better than Theo Walcott. Does that mean Messi is faster than Theo Walcott? Is David Garrard faster than LD10? Some of you fans are beyond foolish.