1. Save 40-80% on great soccer jerseys. Shop today at BigSoccer Shop!

USA v. Ghana: Formation/Starting XI

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Mutiny RIP, Jun 24, 2010.

Moderators: dark knight
  1. Mutiny RIP

Mutiny RIP Member

Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    United States
    Howard
    Cherundolo--DeMerit--Gooch--Boca
    Donovan--Bradley--Edu--Deuce
    Buddle--Jozy

2. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Czechia
    I dont know about Gooch or Buddle. Probably will be Findley which is stupid because we'd try to match a "fast" findley against a fast Ghana team. Edu needs to start

3. Virus2010

Virus2010 New Member

Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Howard
    Dolo-Demerit-Boca-Bornstien
    LD-Bradley-Edu-Duece
    Jozy-Buddle

I'm still not sold on Bornstien, but he's quick and Gooch has been a step slow. Against Ghana that would be trouble.

4. Mibabalou

Mibabalou Member

Club:
    Manchester United FC
    United States
    This is a solid lineup with speed, two things we will need to have to beat Ghana

My Lineup

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Clint,Jozy,Landon,Edu,Bradley,Holden/Benny,Boca,DeMerit, Gooch, Dolo, Howard[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

I don't understand the lack of Holden in this tournament, but Bob had led us this far.

But this is what we will see

Bob's Lineup

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Jozy, Buddle/Findley, Landon, Bradley, Edu/Clark, Dempsey, Boca, DeMerit, Gooch, Dolo[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

5. CK

CK Member

Club:
    Chelsea FC
    United States
    Any chances we see some surprise starters on defense or at forward due to this being the 3rd game in 8 days for some of our players?

Here's my guess at the line-up

-------------------Howard---------------------
    -------------Gooch--------Boca---------------
    --Dolo------------------------------Bornstein-
    ------------Bradley--------Edu----------------
    --Donovan----------------------------Deuce--
    ------------Findley-------Jozy-----------------

DeMerit was my odd man out here (trying to think of something different). He's played the whole tournament, and I have a feeling that Bob will want to put Onyewu back in the line-up. I know how Bob likes playing Bornstein as well, and with a solid game from him against Algeria I don't see Bocanegra going back to LB. There's also a small possibility of seeing Spector in as well, but Dolo has been solid.

Also there is a sizable chance we'll see Fielhaber in for Edu here, but will Bradley really go with 4 different starting CMs in 4 games?

Buddle for Jozy/Findley....maybe. I don't see Findley sitting though as long as he can play, sorry.

6. Maitreya

Maitreya Member

It's a little tough to judge because we don't know how Ghana will play. If they are compact like they were against Germany, having Buddle at forward could be a big help, giving us an extra target on crosses. It seems likely though that Ghana won't give us the same respect they gave Germany and will play more openly, which will leave spaces for Findley and Gomez to operate in.

7. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

United States
    Ghana is an opponent that cries out for a Bradley/Edu midfield.

They are fast and strong and we need to match them.

Their defense is better than ours but our keeper is better and our finishing is better.

I predict a 1-0 win for the US.

8. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

guys, think about the 5 best usa pk takers...

you want them out there IF it goes to them...

so, donovan, dempsey, jozy for sure...

for me, gomez and holden would be the other 2...

so with gomez there, it's either findley or buddle to start...

i can see findley troubling them a bit, causing cards or even PK...

major question is gooch OR bornstein...

gooch has 2006 and that suspicious pk...

but NO essien and a lot of u-20 kids on their roster...

some one's getting a RED or PK in this match...

who's the ref

9. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Ghana plays as compact as any team I've seen thus far, both in terms of width and depth. Here's a quote from John Mensah in Wilson's game preview:

We know they'll play 4 in the back with Annan holding, similar to how I imagine the US will line-up with Edu. We know Gyan will play as a lone striker, with Ayew and Asamoah supporting from the second line of attack.

The middle of the field is going to be a congested mess, regardless of how we start. As such, I want Bradley-Edu in the middle. The key will be winning any second balls off of headers and intended passes, and I like our chances best with those two in the middle.

Up front, I want to see Altidore and Buddle start. Again, with a crowded middle AND a holding midfielder AND 4 in the back, I think space will be hard to come by - both Buddle and Altidore can hold up the ball back to goal and connect with the midfield. I also like Buddle as an asset on set pieces (I'm anticipating more fouls around the box than shots on goal.)

Given Bradley's comments from Wahl's twitter feed, I expect we'll see Onyewu return for this one, resulting in the following:

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Altidore, Buddle, Dempsey, Bradley, Edu, Donovan, Bocanegra, Onyewu, DeMerit, Cherundolo, Howard[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

10. Raulduke

Raulduke New Member

I'm not going to post one because after BB's job against algeria, I don't think he needs my help anymore. I can finally just sit back and root for the team and not bother second guessing BB's decisions.

11. Jumbalaya

Jumbalaya Member

Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Haha. I'll second that.

12. Dr Jay

United States
    While I am personally fine with this, I think Bob sticks with this tactical strategy which means Finley up top making diagonal runs to open up the middle for D & D to attack centrally.

The hard part here is deciding how much to unleash the outside backs. We need some width against Ghana but they counter quickly. I personally would put Boca on the left and have him stay home (except on set plays) and have Dolo give us width on the right side. Leaving these 3 in the back allows the two CM's to have a little more lee way to get forward.

If we need a goal, I sub Holden for Buddle/Finley, and push Dempsey up top.

13. Mutiny RIP

Mutiny RIP Member

Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    United States
    No matter who we play I want to start with an Edu Bradley midfield pairing. The two of them can help us establish some defensive bite early on. If more offense is needed later, I would replace Edu with Holden or Feilhaber.

14. JAV7

JAV7 Member

Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    United States
    I think we all agree here, Its Bradley and Edu in the middle to start the game.

15. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    I recognize the intent, but did Findley really accomplished this at all against England or Slovenia? (Not arguing with you, just hashing out our potential options for Saturday)

I think for this match, having Buddle up top actually opens up the space for Donovan and Dempsey. Ghana - with a defense that hasn't opened for anybody - will at least be physically preoccupied with both Altidore and Buddle. Ideally, it draws Annan further back on the field to help the centerbacks, thus vacating the space for our attacking mids or a late Bradley run.

16. Trav-Man

Trav-Man Member

Club:
    FC Dallas
    United States
    I don't have much to offer as far analysis, all I know is we owe Ghana a stomping from 2006. Honestly, if you had to pick, would you pick a win against Ghana in 2006 to advance out of the group or a win on Saturday? I'll take Saturday. Go get 'em, boys!

17. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

given this cab be 120 minutes...

whos' the better pk taker bewteen buddle and findley??

the weaker guy starts....

i'd trust gomez too as a pk taker, so how's jozy, gomez at 118 IF he's better than jozy...

donovan dempsey i trust...

also feilhaber and holden...

i see PKs here, although it might be a PK in regulation

18. Dr Jay

United States
    I am not sold on Dempsey. Anyone else remember the Revs playoff game against DC United when he passed on taking a PK leaving it up to Heaps who shot weakly at the keeper ?

PS - I just looked it up. It was 2004. Clint had won rookie of the year that year so I will give him a "pass" on not taking a kick since it was his first year.

19. Kevin8833

Kevin8833 Member

This makes sense, but also they both are very similar players, although that may not be bad. Instead of power/target player with power/target player, if you stay with the same starting XI as against Algeria you have the power/target player in Altidore with the movement/poacher in Gomez.

I thought Gomez had a very good first half against Algeria, Buddle was solid but made a couple poor decisions and was indecisive on the ball, Findley hasn't produced, and moving Dempsey or Donovan upfront takes away how deadly they have been breaking out of the midfield along with Bradley in transition.

If it's up to me I would have the exact same starting XI as against Algeria, I thought that team was very well balanced, strong defensively, athletic, dangerous on the break, skillful, and had great balance tactially all over.

I think the movement of Gomez will create a little extra space than Buddle basically replicating Altidore.

20. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

It is unlikely that there will be much change from the lineup that started against Algeria. Maybe Buddle or Findley at forward. With the possibility of overtime, I think Findley makes more sense as a sub coming on when the other team's defense is tiring. So Buddle would be my choice. Gomez had a couple good chances against Algeria and I wouldn't object to another start for him.

21. JRNoblin

JRNoblin Member

A Formation/Starting XI accounting for fatigue

I am really worried about expecting 90 minutes out of some of the guys who have played 3 games in 8 days. Because the U.S. relies so heavily on pressure, hustle, and fitness, the mileage on the American players is pretty heavy, heavier than the same scenario for most other teams. I fear that guys like Donovan, Dempsey, and Bradley will be too worn out to play at their accustomed level. But they are among the core of the team, so what's a coach to do? This is probably crazy, but I could see an argument for changing things around a fair amount to account for the likelihood of fatigue.

On the front line, Findley is coming back with fresh legs, so he starts for sure, and a coach worried about exhaustion might start Buddle over Altidore. Yeah, I know Altidore played great against Algeria, but he is not known for either his fitness or stringing together games at a consistently high level of play. He and Buddle have a lot of similarities, and a fresh Buddle would probably outplay an exhausted Altidore.

On the back line, the solution is pretty easy since center backs often suffer less from short rest than other field positions. A coach worried about exhaustion would retain DeMerit, bring back Gooch and slide Bocanegra out to the left, figuring that the captian's full game at CB didn't wear him out as much as Bornstein's 80 minutes at left back wore Bornstein out. That leaves the choice at right back between hoping Cherundolo has something left in the tank and replacing him with an out-of-form Spector. Were it up to me, I would start Cherundolo and hope for the best since Spector seems way off his feed lately.

There are two easy choices in midfield. Feilhaber played half a game on Wednesday and Edu played only 63 minutes, so they should be able to play fresh on Saturday, especially since they have been playing every game this tournament. Michael Bradley is a young man, and his bite is needed most at the beginning of the game to avoid falling behind early, so he is a logical starter. Then one would start Donovan or Dempsey and figure that the other guy will come on later. Benching Donovan risks cutting the heart out of his team, so he would be the one to start. If Donovan has the gas to play the whole game, great. If not, Dempsey spells him at halftime.

If one went this way, which Bob Bradley won't, the coach would be looking hard at Donovan, Bradley, and Cherundolo, quick to replace any of the three as soon as they looked gassed. It might mean foregoing tactical substitutions in favor of endurance substitutions.

Maybe this would be silly, benching stars like Dempsey and Altidorre, but it might be less risky than the chance that replaying the American starters will result in a loss due to fatigue.

22. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member

Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    I wouldn't be opposed to Gomez. I thought he had a good first half as well. My concern is if he'll find the same space against Ghana that he did against the 3-man backline of Algeria.

For better or worse, Altidore tends to drift in to wide spaces as well. I think Buddle will help anchor down the middle of the field.

23. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Club:
    Millwall FC
    United States
    PK takers in this order

1) Dempsey
    2) Holden (or Feilhaber.. whoever is on the field)
    3) Bradley
    4) Donovan
    5) Cherundolo

24. soccerdisciple

soccerdisciple Member

How big a factor is the formation to the total package? In the end, after playing some and coaching for 9 years, it is my view that it is just a a base from which to assign general player responsibilities. Once the game starts all the same concepts and principles of attack and defending are applied - regardless of starting formation. Whoever does the better job of applying those concepts and principles with the better technical ability controls the game.

25. Mutiny RIP

Mutiny RIP Member

Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    United States
    BTW, Findley could be a great second half sub. Ghana will likely start playing very compact leaving very little open space for Findley to run through. In a compact defense, guys with muscle and good touch are more important than speed. You need the strength to keep the defender off the ball, and the touch to be able to the ball close to your body and away from defenders particularly when you receive it from a firm pass. For this situation, Jozy and Buddle are out best choices. However, if the game heads into overtime, even Ghana will open up a bit. That is the time to put Findley in.

Moderators: dark knight