What are the qualities of a good referee ???

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by Telewheels, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Telewheels

Telewheels New Member

I am now an over the hill (or better put, in the center circle) referee. I help train new referees, and I try to give them usefull information that will help them advance without some of the growing pains.

I am from NJ - where the experience ends when the course is done, and it took me HUNDREDS of games to learn simple things that make the game run better. NJ does not assess without payment and the chance to move up in grade. All of the youth referees are left to figure it out alone. When no one tells you that you are doing it wrong, it is hard to make useful changes.

Anyway ... if you are a coach, player, or referee ... what makes a GOOD referee ... if you know a GREAT referee, what are they doing that makes them this way ???

Are they being fair ? Do they know the rules ? Do they speak with a foreign accent ? What ?

This is a chance to sound off and help young and upcoming refs to learn something from your experience. This helps them, and it helps the game.

2. rca2

rca2 Member

Position, knowlege of LOTG, fitness, common sense game management, focus on keeping play safe and fair, consistency, and as we began--position, position, position.
  3. travelmomnew2soccer

travelmomnew2soccer Member

being from NJ you can appreciate this: the ability to put the parents in their place! on several occasions but not near enough, i have seen a referee address the parent's bad behavior in the first 5 minutes of the game. they were very quiet games! a nice change. ;)

of course this one can be a tough one for young referees to do and out of control parents to accept.
  4. Gunner56

Gunner56 New Member

Consistency and communication.

These two points summarize the two most important attributes. I could add fairness, knowledge of the game, ability to get in correct position, but those are obvious points.

For consistency, too many referees lay off calls early (presumably because they want to "let the kids play") and then, once the game becomes too physical, try to make up for it by calling fouls that they hadn't called before. Of course, the good one know that making the correct calls early means that no correction is needed later and, ultimately, he's truly letting the kids play by informing them early as to what is or is not a foul.

That segues, of course, into the second key attribute -- communication. The good referees have, drawn in their minds, a consistent vision of the rules and how they fit into the spirit of the game. This vision must be communicated to players, especially the younger ones, so they better understand both the rules and spirit of the game (and will, hopefully, play accordingly). It amazes me how, in the youth ranks, so many referees shy away from speaking to the players and letting them know why a foul was called. In so doing, the referee is speaking to all players and giving them fair warning.

5. soccerguys1

soccerguys1 New Member

Club:
    Real Madrid
    Im devan! a nd i think a good refere contains all the qualities of ...ME! becauase im an awsome person wink wink. and i think soccer is a great sport :))))))))) goodnight/afternooon/morning!!!!!!

butterflys and rainbows forever...UNICORNS
  6. Not Vago

Not Vago Member

Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    United States
    Thick Skin, No Ego, Sobriety
  7. piperfc

piperfc New Member

You definately need someone who knows how to take control but doesnt have an overpowering ego. I remember having the worst ref in high school who would ref a lot of our home games, and he kept saying how this was his field and he was a complete egotistical c**t when he reffed. he was aweful... you need to manage and control without being too controling... i hope i've made sense and helped a little
  8. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Member

Club:
    FC Bayern M√ľnchen
    United States
    My top 3 priorities whenever being a ref, in order:
    1) Keep the players safe
    2) Inpartiality - know the rules and apply on a fair basis at the time
    Note: this includes having a short memory and not trying the old make-up call crap
    3) Flow of the game - If properly officiated from the beginning, the flow should be allowed to continue with few interuptions.

If you are strict, consistent and fair from the intros, then life is much easier. I officiated many levels through HS soccer and I rarely had to give out a yellow card. I have never had to issue a red.

A good ref will have control over the game and allow the players to decide the outcome. Have a short meeting with both coaches before the game and include simple instructions for the players and the fans - no diving, no talking back, good sportsmanship, etc. It's amazing how much easier it is to officiate a game when you've taken the time before it starts to lay-out your expectations and in some cases related consquences.
  9. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

Kudo's to the above poster who has never given out a red card. I will say that is NOT necessarily a good thing and one to brag about.

I digress from the OP....a good referee makes STRONG definitive calls. Looks the part with his body language, hustles, gets to the part of the field where he can make the right call. Blows his whistle firmly, and uses a variety of tones to relay the importance of the call. Short whistle for a routine foul, a hard whistle for a hard foul, etc. A good referee listens and talks, and talks while you listen. A good referee will make mistakes, and he will be honest about them.

A good ref shows up at least a half hour early for his match, and is dressed and ready to go. A good ref checks every bit of the field for problems. A good ref has a first name, and he shakes hands with the coaches and the captains. A good ref has two capable assistants who he uses throughout the match to help him make the right calls. A good ref is a piece of the field, and if he makes a bad call, the player goes on playing the game without bitching.

BTW, I don't hear a word the parents are saying. Ever. Couldn't care less.
  10. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Excellent points!!!

I went to a clinic a few mnths ago given by former FIFA ref Angelo Bratsis and he basically told us that refereeing is, first and foremeost, about people management, managing 22 player on the field.

It comes before foul recognition, before LOTG knowledge, before fitness, before mechanics, before positioning, etc........

What an eye opener....and TRUE!
  11. travelmomnew2soccer

travelmomnew2soccer Member

we had a GREAT REF at a state cup game last saturday. he words to the parents before he started the game were " feel free to tell me when i do something wrong." translation: not taking your crap.

then he did a nice job with a very physical game.:D