What does buffalo meat taste like?

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by FearM9, Mar 10, 2005.

1. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Today I had lunch at a neighborhood burrito joint. Several of their items used buffalo steaks. Needless to say I'm intrigued, but at the same time a lil' leery about trying it. From what I've heard over the years, buffalo meat is healthier than regular ol' cow meat. But how different of a taste is it?

2. Danks81

Danks81 Member

I haven't had it in awhile, but from what I remember it is leaner and tastes more gamey.
  3. Footer Phooter

Footer Phooter Member

I didn't notice a difference when I had it. Give it a try.
  4. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

bison burgers are good

5. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It's good. As stated above it is leaner so thus healthier and if you haven't had it much you may think it a bit gamey but it's not even close to as gamey as elk.
  6. Alex_1

Alex_1 Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Switzerland
    It is definitely a bit more gamey. It should definitely be tenderized and IMO slow-cooked.

I used to live in Waltham, Mass - right across the street from this Barbecue place called "Bison County". They had Bison tips and eveyrthing - it was very good.
  7. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop New Member

agree with everyone, it's a leaner and slightly gamier cousin to beef. Very similar.
  8. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mmmmm, buffalo. It's good stuff.

I concur with what everyone has written - gamier than beef, but also leaner.
  9. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator Staff Member

United States
    Buffalos are better than cows on the high plains because in a snow storm they will walk into the wind if they need to but a cow will only ever walk away from the wind and then get stuck in a snowdrift and die. Stupid cows. Elks will jump over snowdrifts, probably. Buffalos are leaner and gamier than cows. I had a lean and gamey buffalo pita sandwich one time and it ruined my shirt. The beer I had with dinner was good and would have gone well with the buffalo pita sandwich, probably. But I will never know for sure because I liked that shirt. No more buffalo for me.
  10. striker

striker Member

Like beef, but less good because of its leanness.
  11. Juve_passion redded

Juve_passion redded Red Card

Tastes awesome.
    Much smoother than ordinary beef.
    Buffalo burgers are awesome too.
  12. melbrown

melbrown New Member

I love the stuff. I don't taste a "gamey" flavor, but I was raised eating venison, and nothing seems gamey after eating enough of that.

You could try mixing it half and half with ground beef if the flavor puts you off, then lessening the amount of ground beef over time to adjust to the flavor.

It's becoming much easier to find. I buy 1 lb packages of ground bison at my local Kroger now, while I had to hit specialty stores to get it just a few years ago.
  13. 655321

655321 New Member

It's great.
  14. striker

striker Member

If the favor of any food puts me off, I'll just avoid it altogether. It is not like there is a requirement to eat certain kind of food.
  15. melbrown

melbrown New Member

I don't have any problem with the taste of it. I know people who have tried it and find the flavor too strong to eat alone, but use it half and half with ground beef just for the health benefits.
  16. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Well I finally tried several small bites of Parilla Grill's buffalo steak. There they marinate the steaks in an Asian marinade and then chop it up into small, bite size pieces. You can still taste the gaminess a lil', but it's not overwhelming. Pretty good stuff. It will definately find it's way into my regular Parilla Grill lunchtime rotation.
  17. Hyok

Hyok Member+

When they're made into burgers, I don't taste a difference between beef and buffalo. When I was in Denver I went to a buffalo specialty restaurant. I ordered the prime rib, based on the recommendation of the waiter. It was verrry tough and lean. You'd think the prime wouldn't be so lean, since it is one of the fattier cuts. As for the flavor...again, I could not tell the difference between beef and buffalo. It tasted basically like a very expensive round steak! I came away feeling like I wasted my money...or my company's money, since I was on a business trip.

I've heard similar comments about grass-fed, free range beef. That except for the very fattiest cuts, they are dry, lean and tough.
  18. shwantzme

shwantzme Member

Tastes kinda like Bison.
  19. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

I had a bison sandwich a few months back that was served just like a heaping roast beef.

Agree with what everyone has already said: seemed a little more lean, and very slightly gamey. Tasty stuff.
  20. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 New Member

It's good. Lower in fat and cholesterol that beef. A restaurant near my house has an awesome buffalo burger.
  21. royalstilton

royalstilton New Member

Club:
    Liverpool FC
    United States
    ---
    i was hoping this thread would turn into "Shirts I Loved But Got Ruined Because I'm A Slob", but it didn't happen.

i would have had a lot to say...

i hate the word "elk"*. conversely, i love the word "ilk".

*please, say "caribou"
  22. Garcia

Garcia Member

The last time I was in Chicago, I had some Buffalo Chilli. While "gamey" doesn't seems like a term I can relate to tatse (sorry), I found the meat to be dark and dry. Not in a bad way, but in a "this is wierd stuff" way.

I think that health benefits to Bison are like eating 5 big Macs and a diet Coke. :D

Has anyone visited Ted's (Turner) Montana Grill?
  23. melbrown

melbrown New Member

I've been to Ted's. It's very good, and probably where most people are first exposed to bison/buffalo. A little spendy for a burger, but they are HUGE. You can choose all beef, all bison, or a mix of the two (I think).

They also serve what they call half sours, which are basically cucumbers that they pickle for half the time it normally takes to make pickles, leaving them very crunchy. You get a bowl of them when you are seated. If you go, ask for more.

Here's a link to Ted's that tells a bit about bison.
    http://www.tedsmontanagrill.com/buzz.html
  24. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 New Member

Some of the best burgers I've had (beef, buffalo, and even ostrich) have come from the Country House.
  25. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Apparently one of the regional grocery store chains in my neck of the woods sells buffalo. I'm sure the limp wristed Whole Foods wanna-be near my office sells it too. I think I'm gonna try to take the plunge soon and attempt to grill up some buffalo sometime next month. Any tips?

Did anyone watch "Iron Chef America" last night that pitted Bobby Flag against Rick Bayless? They both cooked buffalo and they mentioned that buffalo can dry out real quick if you leave it on the grill for too long. I'm not a fan of having my meats cooked rare though.