What ya watched lately? : THE MOVIE THREAD

Discussion in 'Arsenal Off Topic' started by goonermaui, Aug 22, 2011.

1. goonermaui

goonermaui Arsenal No Ka 'Oi

Carry on....

2. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

watched Iron Man 2 on Saturday. Thought it was ok, entertaining at least. Now I just have to see Thor and Captain America before The Avengers is out next year.
  3. Publius

Publius Member+

Club:
    DC United
    United States
    I checked out IMDB to see who would be playing Emma Peel in the movie and discovered it's not THAT Avengers.

Saw Friends with Benefits over the weekend. My wife got two hours of Justin Timberlake and I got two hours of Mila Kunis. Win-win!
  4. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    I finished reading "One Day" about a month ago. It was excellent from start to finish, so I'm compelled to watch the film that just came out this past Friday, I believe, but it just sort of seems like it's going to be awful from the trailer.

Anne Hathaway's attempt at an English accent makes me cringe.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLUWHW5NxwI"]One Day Trailer 2011 HD - YouTube[/ame]

5. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Scotland
    Thor was ok. Saw Rise of Apes. Transformers 3 was the best I have seen so far though. This summer just seems to be lacking.
  6. Cannon

Cannon Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    I watched Attack the Block last night and loved it. It isn't in many theaters but if you like scifi action and don't need top hollywood effects budgets I'd suggest you check it out. It was funny and even my wife liked it and she is usually only really interested in the "historical romance chick flick" or "journey of self discovery" stuff. Its been awhile since I've heard most of the audience jump up and applaud this kind of a film.
  7. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXmm0MZLGxY"]The Interrupters Sundance trailer - YouTube[/ame]
  8. Frankgarrison

Frankgarrison Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Friday I saw two films. The first, "Tree of Life" was quite moving. I was up for it, and it focuses on father-son relationships (among many other things), so it was thematically right up my alley. I can understand how one would think it pretentious and overdone, and at times it was, but I found it to be just tremendously moving.

[​IMG]

We also saw "The Help". I enjoyed it, but it's a pretty by-the-numbers civil rights movie. It glosses over a lot and there's a lot about it that's simply not credible (those who spoke out would have received harsh treatment at a minimum, eg.), but it's well-done.
  9. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I saw Schindler's List the other day, for the first time. Despite being a Spielberg film and having some typical Spielberg motifs I was more moved by the movie than I thought I would be. It's really beautifully filmed and the acting is incredible. Possibly the best Spielberg film I've seen.
  10. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    I saw it once when I was pretty young. I definitely need to see it again. All I really remember from the movie is the girl in red.
  11. Boogie_Down

Boogie_Down Member+

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    I just saw The Tree of Life myself. I'm a Malick fan and he didn't disappoint me. The score was amazing, the visuals stunning, and the story compelling. Loved it!

I was also forced to watch Captain America and Thor recently and it was painful. When I was younger I enjoyed the Summer blockbusters and comic book films but I can't stomach them anymore. At least I was able to catch The Tree of Life.
  12. KirbyNYC

KirbyNYC Member

Watched X-Men: First Class last night. Definitely enjoyable. Liked the various cameos throughout.

My only beef is everytime January Jones had a scene, I thought Betty Draper.
  13. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Watched 50/50 last night - enjoyable movie, and worth a trip to the theaters if you haven't been in a while.
  14. Boogie_Down

Boogie_Down Member+

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    I may check out 50/50.

I just watched Drive and loved it. It's not a typical action flick. It has all the action flick elements but there's a certain style and pacing to the movie that resembles more artistic films. There's definitely violence though.
  15. Darth Norteño

Darth Norteño With Buddha In My Fists

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    I watched The Debt last weekend. Not a bad film, but I had a problem with some of the particulars. I won't go into detail so as not to spoil anything, but thinking as a character in the film, I might've done some key things differently. That's just me, though; I tend to inject myself into whatever I'm watching. :eek:
  16. ptpab

ptpab Member

GF won two free movie passes for the weekend. Any suggestions on what to see?? i live in a small market so we will only be able to see major studio releases. Was thinking about money ball, but i don't know if that is worthy of the theater of if i'm just gonna wait for red box on that one.
  17. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    So I finally saw The Tree of Life and after two hours of breathtaking visuals and fantastic acting I feel...nothing.

What a strange film.
  18. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I really want to see Melancholia.
  19. HomeatHighbury

HomeatHighbury Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    France
    Watched Saving Private Ryan again since it was on tv last night. The german who kills Mellish at the end and then gets shot by Upham...had a moment of realization as I watched...he's Schmidt in Spy Games, for those of you who've seen that film as well.
  20. Publius

Publius Member+

Club:
    DC United
    United States
    Not the same German. The Wehrmacht guy involved in the catch-and-release incident was later shot by Upham. The soldier who killed Mellish was Waffen SS.
  21. KirbyNYC

KirbyNYC Member

Watched The American with Clooney. Meh.
  22. HomeatHighbury

HomeatHighbury Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    France
    Ooh good catch. Well...the guy he shot. He's Schmidt.
  23. Boogie_Down

Boogie_Down Member+

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    What? That was one of my favorites from last year. I love quiet, slow paced films that take their time.
  24. Boogie_Down

Boogie_Down Member+

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    Same here, but I can't find it. I'm hoping a local theater picks it up after it has its main run.
  25. xXJippedXx

xXJippedXx New Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Tinker tailor soldier spy is a good movie with an incredible cast.